Road Crime

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Tiller
Foshay Tower

Re: Road Crime

Postby Tiller » December 6th, 2015, 10:44 pm

Essentially ditto what Grant said, we had one last year with similar problems, though luckily no one was hurt. I wouldn't be surprised to see school districts cracking down on them given the news.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 6th, 2015, 10:53 pm

Reading this twist to the story just was a kick in the gut. I hadn't heard of this before, I can't say I'm at all surprised high schoolers have a game with high jinx and shenanigans.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 6th, 2015, 11:09 pm

Lakeville could've had pretty loose rules on how they played. At Eden Prairie you could really only do ground warfare.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » December 7th, 2015, 11:06 am

Ughhhhh. I could've definitely see that being a factor. Last year when we did nerf wars, there were things that could've gotten us a big big fine or a night in jail. Such as speeding over 40-50 mph in neighborhoods to get away from people, hiding in the back of trucks and popping up to attack someone while driving, riding on top of cars, etc. It's probably something that could be banned from schools one day.
Is it sponsored by the school? Sounds like a game kids play outside of school.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 7th, 2015, 11:18 am

Outside of school and usually not until spring.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » December 7th, 2015, 12:44 pm

Folks may feel free to disagree, but isn't this the exact type of thing that we wish kids could just do without risk of death? It's not the game, it's the fact that kids are stupid and reckless and when given cars and rural roads to drive on. Younger kids do the same thing with bikes, riding on the handlebars or back pegs. Ban this game and they'll find other ways to be stupid. Having grown up in Lakeville and driven on these exact rural roads hundreds of times (4 of my best friends lived in the boonies out along CR70/8), I can say it with personal experience (and, without any humblebragging intended, we were fairly responsible kids with good grades who didn't drink).

It's sad to say this, but places like Lakeville will continue to see kids get in serious crashes like this for the foreseeable future. On the way to school, playing games, or whatever. And people will see events like this and feel sad but also mostly shrug it off because the kids were being reckless.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 7th, 2015, 2:14 pm

Growing up in Lakeville, it seemed like it was at least a yearly occurrence that a H.S. student died in a car crash. Agreed with RBY on this, the game may be the specific problem (just as texting, or drinking, or whatever else could be other instigators in other crashes) but the root of this problem is a land use that basically requires 16 yo/s to drive everywhere.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 7th, 2015, 2:21 pm

The land use is pretty much every suburb whose rural roads were surrounded by housing developments, but never changed the road design. Western Hennepin County has a ton of these formerly rural roads too.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » December 7th, 2015, 7:33 pm

As always, it's nice to remind all of ourselves that rural roads like these are the real culprit for the [hashbrown]MinnesotaMassacre, by and large. 4 lane death roads are bad, wide turning radii are bad, etc etc. But per mile driven or trip taken these high speed roads in the country with subdivisions of 1/2 acre lots (or sparser) require people to make turns directly onto or across them, often with poor sightlines or the sun in your eyes. They also tend to be poorly plowed in the winter or get drifts that turn to ice fairly easily. Honestly, we'd be lucky from a safety perspective if new development looked more like Bloomington than what we're getting.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 7th, 2015, 7:42 pm

It's hard to police rural roads as well. Especially in a big suburb like Lakeville where there are still kids living in the boonies. Eden prairie police were crawling on us when the games began. It's a good thing Nerf Wars weren't around 20 years ago when the third ring suburbs were still very rural. I'm afraid something like this could happen in Chaska now, or really any mixed area.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 8th, 2015, 8:19 am

Nerf Wars were around 20 years ago. We just played in my basement.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » December 8th, 2015, 9:27 am

ISD 194 is pretty large geographically too; it extends quite far to the south. The area where the crash occurred wasn't even in Lakeville proper.

Plus, yeah, some of the roads in town weren't really designed for modern traffic levels or even cars to begin with. I went to Lakeville North myself. Dodd north of the HS was nasty in the winter, to the point where my parents and I would often drive the extra distance down Highview just to avoid it.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 8th, 2015, 9:36 am

Ipava was connected as a four lane stroad from 185th to Lakeville North in about 2002, relieving the pressure for that nasty two lane hill on Dodd north of the high school. But clearly it's still a problem. A student died on that stretch of Dodd two years ago.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » December 8th, 2015, 9:54 am

I remember reading about that when it happened, and it was brought up in news stories with this last incident as well.

I went to Lakeville North way back in the 90's (well before it was even North) and when Ipava still ended at 185th. The only major N/S routes at the time were 50, Dodd, and Highview (Cedar too, I guess, but it was usually too far out of the way), and there weren't as many E-W streets connecting them.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 15th, 2015, 3:00 pm

Epic chase down of a car thief.

http://www.twincities.com/crime/ci_2915 ... ul-streets

Don't leave a car running...

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » December 16th, 2015, 7:54 am

I'm surprised factory installed remote starters aren't more common considering how convenient they are, and how it's gotten to be such a royal pain to put in an aftermarket one, even on my 2002 model year I have a chip key and security system. Although I have heated seats and and engine block heater so it heats up a lot faster than my 1993 did. Then again I suppose the climate isn't as harsh in most of the country.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 17th, 2015, 10:43 am

Suspect arrested next morning in fatal hit-and-run in Albert Lea
http://www.startribune.com/photo-releas ... 362778951/

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 20th, 2015, 10:05 pm

Not Minnesota, but this is huge. A woman drove her car through a crowd on the Las Vegas strip. Dozens in the hospital.

http://www.ktnv.com/news/las-vegas-stri ... _refQuery=

Freak coincidence to happen near the hotel the Miss Universe mix up occurred?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 3rd, 2016, 8:40 pm

Vehicle recovered and arrest made in fatal New Years Eve hit and run.

http://www.startribune.com/police-scrut ... 364062651/

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 5th, 2016, 9:51 pm

The NYE hit and run driver was driving on a learner's permit making a liquor store run.

http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis- ... 364232981/

No mention if there was a licensed driver in her car with, as learner permits require by law.