Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
trigonalmayhem

Re: Public Transit News and Current Happenings

Postby trigonalmayhem » December 8th, 2015, 9:29 pm

So the real time information is unreliable, but the schedules are also completely wrong for all the detoured routes and won't be updated for a while. So basically it's the wild west for any north south local routes. Best of luck figuring out when you're supposed to catch it when the temperatures drop below zero.
Do you want to put up your own money to hire the extra planners to make it happen?

Go back in time and tell the City to give Metro Transit a decent amount of notice that they'd be ripping up 3rd while you're at it (not that I don't love that project).
I'd rather they just use my tax money that goes to roads we don't need, but yeah if they want to raise the money for it I'll gladly chip in.

And I hold the Minneapolis city officials and planners just as responsible for the mess with the detours. The city really doesn't care about transit or pedestrians, just bikes and cars. They leave road construction signs out blocking bus stops and sidewalks for weeks or even months after whatever they were for has been finished.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » December 9th, 2015, 7:33 am

They leave road construction signs out blocking bus stops and sidewalks for weeks or even months after whatever they were for has been finished.
Have you heard of this neat thing called 311? Try it some time.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » December 9th, 2015, 8:50 am

They leave road construction signs out blocking bus stops and sidewalks for weeks or even months after whatever they were for has been finished.
Have you heard of this neat thing called 311? Try it some time.
I've been using the hell out of their app and the SeeClickFix website lately and they are really good about responding.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » December 9th, 2015, 10:25 am

And "they" don't do this in the bike lanes?

Also, "they" is typically a contractor, or, like the sign in the bike lane on 6th yesterday evening, a utility company.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » December 9th, 2015, 10:51 am

I can and do make a ton of use of the 311 app, but I'd like to know why we have to constantly remind people who work for the city to do their jobs? I'd much rather see them actually do it right on their own without having to be nagged by residents for every tiny little detail they constantly screw up. A little bit of common sense, better rules and guidelines for their workers and contractors, and at least some effort at proactively dealing with these kinds of things instead would go a long way.

If you have an employee you have to follow around reminding to do every aspect of their job you probably would try to replace them with one that takes a little initiative and works independently right? Why do we expect so much less from our local government?

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » December 9th, 2015, 10:58 am

I can and do make a ton of use of the 311 app, but I'd like to know why we have to constantly remind people who work for the city to do their jobs? I'd much rather see them actually do it right on their own without having to be nagged by residents for every tiny little detail they constantly screw up. A little bit of common sense, better rules and guidelines for their workers and contractors, and at least some effort at proactively dealing with these kinds of things instead would go a long way.

If you have an employee you have to follow around reminding to do every aspect of their job you probably would try to replace them with one that takes a little initiative and works independently right? Why do we expect so much less from our local government?
Yikes man. You really are a glass fully empty kind of guy aren't you.

City staff do no drive down my street regularly. I do. So I let them know when I see something that needs to be fixed.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » December 9th, 2015, 11:13 am

Yes they do. When you report things to 311 they assign issues to a city worker in the area to check out. Why do they have to wait for me to tell them to do that? They clearly are in the area and can see it. But they won't do anything until I file a ticket.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » December 9th, 2015, 11:17 am

Minneapolis has 1100 miles of city streets, which includes (math!) around 2000 miles of sidewalks. You really expect the city of Minneapolis to constantly check every mile of every sidewalk for minor code violations?

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » December 9th, 2015, 11:21 am

They know where construction projects are and have been going on, right? Pretty easy to make sure they clean up the signs in that limited subset.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » December 9th, 2015, 12:19 pm

Minneapolis has 1100 miles of city streets, which includes (math!) around 2000 miles of sidewalks. You really expect the city of Minneapolis to constantly check every mile of every sidewalk for minor code violations?
Also I was told by Elizabeth Glidden and Sue Roethele to report things to 311 and SeeClickFix because it's easier to track that way. We're lucky to even have such a service, I imagine many cities do not.

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » December 11th, 2015, 1:59 pm

Detailed Metro Transit analysis of 2014 vs 2015 ridership:

http://www.metrocouncil.org/Council-Mee ... p-ppt.aspx

Interesting tidbits:

- Blue Line ridership is up 12.5% for October 2015 YTD compared with 2014. (Green line effects?)
- University Ave corridor weekday ridership in Oct 2015 is over 2x what it was in Q1 2014 (22,542 vs 47,522)

Overall, it looks like the Green Line has had quite an impact system-wide.

mulad

Postby mulad » December 11th, 2015, 2:01 pm

I think 2014 was an unusually bad year for the Blue Line, probably due to some after-effects of the construction to tie the Blue and Green Lines together, and the ensuing scheduling trouble where trains would get backed up at/near the junction.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » December 11th, 2015, 2:42 pm

Yeah, but how many of the extra riders paid their fares!?
;)

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » December 15th, 2015, 10:04 am

Detailed Metro Transit analysis of 2014 vs 2015 ridership:

http://www.metrocouncil.org/Council-Mee ... p-ppt.aspx

Interesting tidbits:

- Blue Line ridership is up 12.5% for October 2015 YTD compared with 2014. (Green line effects?)
- University Ave corridor weekday ridership in Oct 2015 is over 2x what it was in Q1 2014 (22,542 vs 47,522)

Overall, it looks like the Green Line has had quite an impact system-wide.
I know it says overall bus ridership is down but I swear my commuter routes are much busier. Maybe a demographic shift?

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » December 15th, 2015, 4:38 pm

I know it says overall bus ridership is down but I swear my commuter routes are much busier. Maybe a demographic shift?
Sadly, anecdote is not the singular form of data.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » December 15th, 2015, 5:23 pm

Sadly, anecdote is not the singular form of data.
One can hope.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 15th, 2015, 5:31 pm

Well a chunk of that drop is still going to be because all of the rides taken on the 16/50 in the first half of 2014 were switched to the Green Line. Probably doesn't account for the entirety of the drop, but it's part of it.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 15th, 2015, 5:49 pm

Per the report linked above, half of the drop is attributable to the Green Line, and most of the rest of it is due to lower fuel prices.
Evaluated key variables on ridership
 (8.7%) 2014 to 2015 YTD decrease
• (4.6%) Green Line/Bus restructure (University Corridor)
• (4.3%) Lower fuel prices
• (0.6%) Nicollet Mall construction
• 0.8% Increase due to drop in unemployment
Of course, the effect on different routes will not be uniform, so it's entirely possible that some routes are getting busier while overall ridership is still dropping.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 17th, 2015, 9:06 pm

http://www.startribune.com/study-native ... 362846081/

Ok, so maybe THIS is an example of systemic racism white Minnesota can understand.

Not holding my breath. Cue the thug-callers and poor-haters.

FranklinAveFixation
Metrodome

Postby FranklinAveFixation » December 18th, 2015, 7:10 am

http://www.startribune.com/study-native ... 362846081/

Ok, so maybe THIS is an example of systemic racism white Minnesota can understand.

Not holding my breath. Cue the thug-callers and poor-haters.
I had a feeling a story like this would come out eventually. I always wondered how they decided who got warnings and who got tickets.
It really irks me whenever I see them give someone a warning or just tell them to get off and buy a ticket. Why does anyone get off with a warning anyway?
I hope the solution to this is they no longer have any mercy, everyone gets a fine, especially Vikings fans.