Presidential Election 2016

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
trkaiser
Landmark Center

Re: Presidential Election 2016

Postby trkaiser » December 16th, 2015, 12:44 pm

You'd think Jeb, especially, could have come into last night with some sort of choreographed zinger.
Seemed to me like Jeb was focused on the basics of not passing out or having a bathroom incident on stage.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 16th, 2015, 1:27 pm

^^^ Who'da thunk George is the smart one!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 16th, 2015, 1:40 pm

Just to be sure, the debate is actually tomorrow. Meanwhile, the Democrats have their debate scheduled for Saturday at 8 p.m. ET.

I can't figure out why nobody is talking about these Democratic debates. :|
Poor timing certainly has hurt ratings (though I highly doubt, as I mentioned above, that anyone who's actually voting in the primary isn't paying attention).

But mostly, it's because the Dem debates are pretty boring. The candidates agree on the issues more than not and they're respectful of each other. The GOP is getting attention because it's a cluster****.
Have to agree with this. I'm no political scientist or historian, but I'd guess that a political party being as unified and stable as the national Democratic party has been over the last decade plus, is probably pretty rare. Keep in mind that Bernie is not actually a Democrat, and as such presents a much starker contrast between himself and most party-line Democrats. Among Democrats, there is very little disagreement on the party platform, etc. There are some shades of gray, but in general Democrats largely take the same positions.
(talking about in a national sense only, obviously at the state and local level, you can point out specific things that different groups of Democrats might disagree on)

mulad

Postby mulad » December 17th, 2015, 10:52 am

The Sanders campaign surpassed two million donations from individuals yesterday evening, keeping it on par with the president's reelection campaign in 2012. Clinton is probably still getting more money overall (the most recent public data is from the 3rd quarter), though she's getting it in larger chunks from fewer sources. Only around 1.7% of Sanders' supporters have been maxing out their contributions, while 60% of Clinton's supporters are hitting the spending limit.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/pre ... tributions

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » December 18th, 2015, 1:32 am

http://www.buzzfeed.com/evanmcsan/berni ... inton-data

Pissed.
The Democratic National Committee has suspended Bernie Sanders’ access to the party’s 50-state voter file in response to a software glitch that allowed the Sanders campaign to access Hillary Clinton’s internal voter data.

The DNC move effectively freezes Sanders' field organizing program six weeks from the first caucuses and primaries.

The breach occurred on Wednesday, a DNC official confirmed, through the NGP VAN, the leading technology company that allows campaigns to identify voters, as well as monitor their preferences and leanings, in what’s called the 50-state voter file. For a “brief window" — about 30 minutes, an official said — a bug in the software exposed the campaigns' internal “voter ID” data.

During that period, the Sanders campaign discovered the breach, accessed the Clinton campaign’s data, then called the vendor to point out the flaw, according to the official. The DNC has since cut off Sanders’s access to the voter file — until his campaign officials can “prove” they’ve deleted the Clinton data.

“The DNC places a high priority on maintaining the security of our system and protecting the data on it,” said the committee’s communications director, Luis Miranda. “We are working with our campaigns and the vendor to have full clarity on the extent of the breach, ensure that this isolated incident does not happen again, and to enable our campaigns to continue engaging voters on the issues that matter most to them and their families."

The period in which proprietary voter file data was available to all campaigns did not affect the overall integrity of the data itself, according to the DNC. No private data was leaked outside the NGP system. The DNC official also stressed that the breach was the fault of the vendor NGP VAN, not the DNC. Still, the DNC is ultimately considered responsible for the security of the NGP VAN.

The Sanders campaign also laid the blame at the feet of NGP VAN. "Sadly, the vendor who runs the DNC's voter file program continues to make serious errors," Michael Briggs, Sanders's top communications aide, told BuzzFeed News.

"On more than one occasion, the vendor has dropped the firewall between the data of different Democratic campaigns. Our campaign months ago alerted the DNC to the fact that campaign data was being made available to other campaigns," said Briggs. "At that time our campaign did not run to the media, relying instead on assurances from the vendor."

The Sanders aide who accessed the Clinton campaign data has been fired, Briggs said.

The incident could pose a devastating setback for Sanders so close to the start of the Democratic primary: Until access is restored to the NGP VAN, the candidate’s organizers will have to perform the basic functions of the field program — phone banks, voter contact, visibility — without an electronic system centralizing their efforts.

"After discussion with the DNC it became clear that one of our staffers accessed some modeling data from another campaign," Briggs said. "That behavior is unacceptable and that staffer was immediately fired."

Miranda said that the party has directed the NGP VAN to “conduct a thorough analysis to identify any users who accessed the data, what actions they took in the system, and to report on the findings to the Party and any affected campaign.”

The organization will also begin a review process with every Democratic campaign and NGP VAN user, said Miranda, to “ensure they understand and abide by the rules governing the use of the system.”

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » December 18th, 2015, 7:58 am

Oh no the DNC machine that has been trying to make him disappear so Hillary would be unchallenged is mad! QQ

Seriously this stinks of manufactured scandal and magically the media is suddenly paying attention to Bernie, but just for this.

Anondson
IDS Center

Presidential Election 2016

Postby Anondson » December 18th, 2015, 8:36 am

Well Hillary's campaign is pretty intimate with the strange leakiness and persistence of digital data...
Last edited by Anondson on December 18th, 2015, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » December 18th, 2015, 8:45 am

Haha. If this headline was reversed people would be all over Hillary for it, but when the Sanders campaign does it he's the victim?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 18th, 2015, 9:11 am

I think it's bullshit, but hey news is news... politicians do crazy worse things all the time and the publicity just helps them out, so it'll just blow over I'm sure.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » December 18th, 2015, 10:14 am

This won't change minds on either the Ready For Hillary or Feel The Bern camps, so no worries there.

I have to imagine this should be cleared up in a day and suspending access for a day or two to ensure they’ve deleted files seems fair enough. I’d want the same (and I imagine anyone Feeling The Bern would too) if it had been Hillary’s team accessing files that weren’t their own.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » December 18th, 2015, 11:11 am

They never had access to save any files and reported the issue to the vendor months ago. The way it's been framed is completely untruthful and very obviously an intentional move by a certain someone's cronies in the party and media.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » December 18th, 2015, 11:58 am

At noon there will be a press conference where the Bernie Sanders campaign addresses this. Apparently Debbie Wasserman Schultz went on MSNBC to accuse the Sanders campaign of downloading voter files, while the data director that was fired has been interviewed and said he was testing the breach to find out how vulnerable their own data was, and did so in a way that should be verifiable.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 18th, 2015, 12:15 pm

I see this backfiring on the DNC. Not enough to harm Clinton, but enough to harm Wasserman-Schultz.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 18th, 2015, 12:29 pm

God I hope so. She has been terrible.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » December 18th, 2015, 12:44 pm

One has got to "love" the timing of this as well. After such a successful Thursday and before the Saturday night (and star wars weekend/prime time NFL game/weekend before Christmas) debate. (though the blowback could also be helpful, this will be interesting/eventful to be sure.)

This should have a video of the press conference if anyone else missed part or all of it (I missed the first half):
http://www.c-span.org/video/?402319-1/b ... conference
I can't confirmed since it isn't playing on my phone.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 18th, 2015, 1:30 pm

This is super inside baseball stuff that very few people really care about one way or the other.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 18th, 2015, 2:00 pm

Bernie's campaign threatens lawsuit against DNC.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/s ... dnc-216942

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » December 18th, 2015, 2:38 pm

The ignorance of how IT works being projected by the media and the DNC (Hillary's campaign seems notably absent) and how they're spinning this is disgusting.

I wasn't sure before who I would end up voting for if something like this were to happen, especially since Trump has gone over the deep end, but I completely forgot about Jill Stein. If this thing continues as-is the only Democrats I'll vote for are down-ticket.

clf
Metrodome

Postby clf » December 18th, 2015, 3:13 pm

Founder of NGP Software used by the DNC was Nathaniel Pearlman. He was chief technology officer for Hillary Clinton's 2008 presidential campaign.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 18th, 2015, 3:39 pm

This ... was pretty darn funny to listen to. "Sophisticated Trump"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... UGT30gGtiI