Allianz Field and Snelling-Midway Development

The Most Livable City in America™
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Major League Soccer Stadium

Postby grant1simons2 » November 27th, 2015, 10:09 pm

It was the first domed stadium, that's one reason why it didn't work. Forsyth Barrr is less that 10 years old. Technology has changed a bit.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 28th, 2015, 8:24 am

Many of the European stadiums for soccer are on par with the seating capacity of NFL football stadiums. We would be like a minor league team in the European soccer league for size if not a bit smaller to start with.
Actually very few European stadiums are as big or even close to as modern as the average NFL stadium. Most are old and retrofitted and in the ballpark of 30-40,000 seats.

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » November 28th, 2015, 9:03 am

I recently went to a soccer game in Granda Spain. Granada is a first division professional team in the Liga Española. Their stadium holds 22,500 which was surprising to me because it felt much bigger. There was of plenty of noise, and great energy. An 18,000 seat stadium has the potential to be a great fan experience. I assume these days that they can engineer a new stadium to be expanded down the road if the demand increases.

I want to say that the night I went they announced 19,000 in attendance. A link to the picture below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Aup0 ... sp=sharing

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 28th, 2015, 10:36 am

People have the perception that professional soccer is huge everywhere but here, but really outside of the top five or so European leagues and the handful of other really popular teams, MLS isn't that far behind as far as stadiums and attendance. Brazil, for example, is a mess.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 28th, 2015, 10:45 am

More like a high school football stadium in Texas then? ;P

http://yestotexas.com/biggest-high-scho ... n-texas/5/

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » November 29th, 2015, 8:11 pm

I just looked at attendance figures for leagues across the world I didn't realize how well the Chinese and Indian leagues drew. I'm not an elite enough soccer mind to know what the quality of the play is but I doubt it would be any better than MLS.

Also fun fact I guess figured out, the College Football Bowl Subdivision is the 3rd best attended league in the world 43,483 per game right behind the Bundesliga in Germany at 43,527. If you just look at the Power 5 conferences(SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12, ACC) they all beat the Bundesliga ranging for 78,018 fans to 50,016 fans per game. It goes to show you how popular and dominate football is in American culture.

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » November 30th, 2015, 11:24 am

So, there was a guy at the Granada soccer game who was a soccer wonk, and he stated that some of the current MLS teams are good enough to be competitive in the Spanish league. When I asked him to clarify he said that they could beat some of the under performing teams (like Granada).
I guess that goes to show you that every sport and every league has it's own version of the T- Wolves.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » November 30th, 2015, 1:07 pm

Fred Melo just tweeted this info on a meeting this evening for residents of Midway neighborhood and stadium plans...

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_29183144

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 30th, 2015, 9:09 pm

Attended tonight's meeting. Nothing new really. Lots of city representation, Mayor Coleman, council members, heads of staff and departments etc. There was a brief presentation on implementation, funding, and schedule. Still hoping to break ground this coming June. No clear funding identified for infrastructure improvements. Stadium building costs is still solely on the team, as well as operations, overruns, & improvements. Team will keep all stadium derived revenue. Presentation was followed by a 1 hour breakout sessions with tables focusing on sustainability, site visioning, transportation, youth sports, ticketing/cost, jobs, & childrens' engagement. Lots of exciting post-its and dot surveys!

They hope to have a few more open houses in the next few months. The CAC has its first meeting Thursday. Expect some type of online engagement tool soon. Aggressive timeline means we've got a very short window to shape the project!
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » December 1st, 2015, 8:13 am

No clear funding identified for infrastructure improvements.
You could knock me over with a feather.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 9th, 2015, 5:52 pm

Mortenson chosen to build the stadium. And yet we still don't have a single rendering in the public.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... -paul.html

UrbWave
City Center

Postby UrbWave » December 9th, 2015, 6:00 pm

Well they just announced this today. Mortenson doesn't usually take long to produce renderings once they have been awarded a contract.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 9th, 2015, 9:24 pm

Well they just announced this today. Mortenson doesn't usually take long to produce renderings once they have been awarded a contract.
Mortensen would not be producing the designs/renderings, those will come from KC Populous and the United Group when they are ready. I know patience is not a virtue here on these development boards. But when they are ready they will get them out to keep up the fever pitch of enthusiasm.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 21st, 2015, 10:07 pm

KSTP had a report tonight that Hennepin County is making a renewed push to get the stadium in Minneapolis.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » December 21st, 2015, 10:53 pm

I feel like that's rediculous. The more I see/hear about the plans for the midway, I think this is where it should be. It will be transformative.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 22nd, 2015, 12:40 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » December 22nd, 2015, 8:18 am

Someone should tell Hennepin County to stop, before they pull MLS back over the river by offering them $400 million in stadiumbux. #SarcasmNotSarcasm

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » December 22nd, 2015, 8:44 am

This is pretty rich coming from Opat. Last week he was stomping his feet over one time park dedication fees on county lead projects while working to saddle Minneapolis with a terrible stadium deal.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 22nd, 2015, 1:05 pm

Really what this story is saying is that Hennepin County is planning some sort of fallback plan in case St. Paul is unable to secure funding, which isn't that surprising. But as long as the legislature follows through with the plan, there's pretty much no chance that the team bails on St. Paul.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 22nd, 2015, 1:23 pm

Really what this story is saying is that Hennepin County is planning some sort of fallback plan in case St. Paul is unable to secure funding, which isn't that surprising. But as long as the legislature follows through with the plan, there's pretty much no chance that the team bails on St. Paul.
Don't both sites need the legislatures approvals to get the tax breaks and all.