"East Town"

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby grant1simons2 » December 21st, 2015, 6:01 pm

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/p ... ntown.html
It’s no secret that Downtown East — the area of downtown Minneapolis between the core and the under-construction U.S. Bank Stadium — is growing up almost overnight with more than $2 billion of investment underway. But how far will it tip from just a stadium and office park into a brand-new downtown neighborhood that rivals the North Loop?

[snip]

One challenge for the district is that nobody knows what to call it. The area that includes the stadium is officially part of the Downtown East neighborhood, while the Armory and brew-tel proposal both technically sit in Elliot Park. Sometime in the first quarter of 2016, thanks to funding from the city of Minneapolis and the McKnight Foundation, Minneapolis-based PadillaCRT will unveil three to six names and logo options, Collison said. His hope is for a brand to be chosen by June 1.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » December 22nd, 2015, 8:59 am

What’s in a name?

One challenge for the district is that nobody knows what to call it
Please just don't call it EaDo, or DoEaElPa, or ABCDWTF, I'm sure there's got to be some kind of reasonable name that could be used. "North Loop" and "Lowertown" are great examples to follow, pls no more "LoDo" or "WeDo". X_x

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 22nd, 2015, 11:00 am

How about Elliot Park, or to stick with a preexisting naming convention, East Loop?

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » December 22nd, 2015, 12:35 pm

How about Elliot Park, or to stick with a preexisting naming convention, East Loop?
From what I understand, the "loop" consisted of the Gateway and what is now known as North Loop. I've seen references to the Gateway where it was called "Lower Loop" in the past, so NL built off on that naming convention. Downtown East and Elliot Park aren't part of that historic "loop" then, whatever it was.

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » December 22nd, 2015, 5:44 pm

SoDoSoPa?

Chi Tpa Town?
Urbanist in the north woods

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » December 22nd, 2015, 5:57 pm

Miss Elli (Mississippi to Elliot) For Dallas fans.

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » December 23rd, 2015, 10:37 am

It's a bit of a ret-con, but I like thinking of the North Loop being an ironic name considering the neighborhood would have ripped up to build I-335, the 'north loop' of the Minneapolis downtown freeway.
It was named for a streetcar line.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » December 23rd, 2015, 1:40 pm

Don't want to take this too off topic, but should we really be posted full articles that are behind a paywall for non-subscribers to see? Kind of robs the organization of ad revenue and subscription fees.

As for the idea of a new cross-neighborhood branding scheme, this feels like something that will get lost after a few months. Minneapolis is littered with countless, half-thought-out branded areas. Very few seem to have stuck.

What I think would actually work is to essentially completely reorganize the neighborhoods downtown. Downtown West should really have its boundaries cut a little so its eastern edge is further west. Downtown East/Elliot Park area is such an amorphous area right now. I even know some folks who don’t really think of themselves as living in Elliot Park. It feels a bit placeless, which I think contributes to that.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » December 23rd, 2015, 1:44 pm

From what I understand, the "loop" consisted of the Gateway and what is now known as North Loop. I've seen references to the Gateway where it was called "Lower Loop" in the past, so NL built off on that naming convention. Downtown East and Elliot Park aren't part of that historic "loop" then, whatever it was.
It's a bit of a ret-con, but I like thinking of the North Loop being an ironic name considering the neighborhood would have ripped up to build I-335, the 'north loop' of the Minneapolis downtown freeway.
Hey, it's just a bunch of dusty old warehouses! Nothing could ever come of that.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 23rd, 2015, 1:56 pm

Or for those under 40, Missy Elliot seems like the much more obvious pop culture reference/pun.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 23rd, 2015, 2:12 pm

I got it from the north loop website. They posted the full story from there. I guess I should've just posted the link to that.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 23rd, 2015, 2:23 pm

As for the idea of a new cross-neighborhood branding scheme, this feels like something that will get lost after a few months. Minneapolis is littered with countless, half-thought-out branded areas. Very few seem to have stuck.

What I think would actually work is to essentially completely reorganize the neighborhoods downtown. Downtown West should really have its boundaries cut a little so its eastern edge is further west. Downtown East/Elliot Park area is such an amorphous area right now. I even know some folks who don’t really think of themselves as living in Elliot Park. It feels a bit placeless, which I think contributes to that.
The DMNA (neighborhood org that represents Downtown West and East) actually discussed splitting into two separate neighborhood orgs earlier this year. Ultimately the plan was not adopted. They would've shifted borders ever so slightly, and been named "Downtown" and "Mill District". Currently, there is not an official Mill District neighborhood org. Only this unofficial one which really is just a loose organization of condo owners in the area: http://milldistrict.org/

I think they ought to give the idea of breaking up DMNA another go, but bring in Elliot Park this time too. The failed effort this summer would've done nothing to cure the odd/arbitrary boundary between Downtown East and Elliot Park.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 23rd, 2015, 3:17 pm

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » December 24th, 2015, 2:50 am

Or Missy Elliot

Minneapolitan

Postby Minneapolitan » December 27th, 2015, 12:37 pm

Missy Elliot?

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » December 27th, 2015, 1:30 pm

Missy Elliot?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UODX_pYpVxk

I like the idea of a Missy Elliot Neighborhood.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 27th, 2015, 3:06 pm

That's where I go to get my freak on.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » December 29th, 2015, 3:29 pm

LOL, see! We've established a top notch branding moniker and tagline, and we did it for free. "Welcome to Missy Elliot: Get Your Freak On"

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » December 30th, 2015, 10:40 am

The DMNA (neighborhood org that represents Downtown West and East) actually discussed splitting into two separate neighborhood orgs earlier this year. Ultimately the plan was not adopted. They would've shifted borders ever so slightly, and been named "Downtown" and "Mill District". Currently, there is not an official Mill District neighborhood org. Only this unofficial one which really is just a loose organization of condo owners in the area: http://milldistrict.org/

I think they ought to give the idea of breaking up DMNA another go, but bring in Elliot Park this time too. The failed effort this summer would've done nothing to cure the odd/arbitrary boundary between Downtown East and Elliot Park.
I was actually unaware that they decided against the split (and border change). I have friends in RiverWest and they definitely think of themselves as Downtown East (and Mill District, though obviously that's unofficial) residents, but the borders say otherwise.

Part of me wants to bring Elliot Park into the new DTE fold. Another part of me wonders if its placemaking would be solidified with just a bit of elbow grease.

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Re: Downtown East - Wells Fargo / Radisson Red / Edition Apts

Postby SixOneTwo » April 26th, 2016, 1:23 pm

Sam Black ‏@mspbjsamblack
East Town; East Village or alternatively Eastville; and East Loop are name finalists for Downtown East district in #minneapolis @MSPBJnews