Stadium LRT Station, Ped Bridge & Plaza (MSFA block)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Rich
Rice Park

Re: Stadium LRT Station, Ped Bridge & Plaza (MSFA block)

Postby Rich » November 20th, 2015, 10:32 am

Also, U.S. Bank Stadium’s design funnels 85% of the fans through the west doors. So there might frequently be as many as 55,000 people milling about the area of the tracks. From the Metrodome, people scattered much moreso in all directions.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 20th, 2015, 10:41 am

I still don't see the need for this bridge. Sure seemed fine without it when the metrodome was there. I don't get it. Why didn't they build the stupid thing years ago then?
Not that I'm convinced that the bridge is necessary, but the answer to this is:
With the Green Line, there are twice as many trains as there used to be when the Metrodome was there.
Additionally, the bridge gets people to the WB platform, which was mostly used by people departing to downtown hotels and the ABC ramps. With the Blue/Green extensions, many more people will be boarding WB trains after the game.

Now, you might ask: "Since those extensions are 5-6 years out at least, why not wait to build the bridge then?" And the answer is: "No particular reason."
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 20th, 2015, 10:49 am

Now, you might ask: "Since those extensions are 5-6 years out at least, why not wait to build the bridge then?" And the answer is: "No particular reason."
Well, inflation is one. However in this case we picked a particularly awful time to negotiate a construction contract given all of the activity sucking up labor and resources.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 20th, 2015, 11:17 am

I still don't see the need for this bridge. Sure seemed fine without it when the metrodome was there. I don't get it. Why didn't they build the stupid thing years ago then?
There was not a green line running when the Vikings were playing in the metro dome. You had at least 8 minutes between trains before the green line, not the case now.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » November 20th, 2015, 11:21 am

Serious question: Is there ANY price tag for this that would be too high for Met Council? If I were "LS Constructors" (like that is a real thing), I'd come back with an added $5M because they'd get it.
I don't think that would fly. It would mean another vote, due to a price change. And that would surely result in a cancellation of this project. It's just too bad that this couldn't have been vetted better, further in advance. But alas, it wasn't. So the council is in for $4M and the Vikings $5.
I'm seriously not trying to be obtuse but wasn't the latest increase a "price change?" How would another increase be any different than this latest one? Wouldn't a "vote" involve the Met Council getting together and rubber stamping whatever the new price is just like they have this last one? Is there some number of increases/votes that triggers an automatic cancellation at the Met Council?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 20th, 2015, 1:15 pm

I'm growing towards going whole hog and future proof this by tunneling the LRT lines under Chicago and under 4th, maybe even as far as you can until it needs to surface by the government plaza. *shrug*

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » November 20th, 2015, 1:43 pm

I'm growing towards going whole hog and future proof this by tunneling the LRT lines under Chicago and under 4th, maybe even as far as you can until it needs to surface by the government plaza. *shrug*
A while back in this thread I laid out the difficulties of tunneling for pedestrians given the layout of the parking structure but those concerns have disappeared (more or less) with these price increases. Center platform this thing and tunnel under for pedestrians.

UrbWave
City Center

Postby UrbWave » December 30th, 2015, 12:18 pm

LS Black has started to move in construction equipment and it looks like they have began to do some work over the underground parking space. Are they also configuring this space as a plaza?

Minneapolitan

Postby Minneapolitan » January 1st, 2016, 4:04 pm

As a rider of both Lrt lines, i say this bridge is very necessary to assure pedestrian safety. Crossing those tracks in a pain in the anal/rectal/testicular and or,ovarian region, especially since that is the only transfer between east and south. I kind of wish there would be a bridge between the two platforms, but maybe that would be over kill.
Instances like this and elevated or underground station would be

Minneapolitan

Postby Minneapolitan » January 1st, 2016, 4:07 pm

Wow i couldnt even revise and finish my mf last post. Wtf. My 80HD get the best of me i swear

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 1st, 2016, 4:28 pm

How exactly is crossing the tracks a pain? It's like crossing a narrow street, but one where you know there's only going to be a single vehicle per direction every five minutes.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » January 1st, 2016, 11:53 pm

So far this past month we've had 2 to 4 people walk of bike in front of oncoming trains... I think any safety measures are a good thing...

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 1st, 2016, 11:56 pm

And zero of those have been at the DTE station.

Effective safety measures are good. Ineffective safety measures or safety measures that protect against things that don't happen are a waste of time and money.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 2nd, 2016, 12:01 am

Just a reminder, this bridge won't replace ground crossing for Blue/Green transfers at DTE. Unless you want to take the bridge all the way across Chicago Ave, then backtrack across Chicago Ave at grade. Unlikely.

gopherfan
Nicollet Mall

Postby gopherfan » February 4th, 2016, 10:41 pm

Drawings for West Plaza around the light rail station have been posted. As predicted abundant hardscape. The area over the parking ramp is listed as a bid alternate, so if the price comes in too high they will probably scrap that portion...

http://www.msfa.com/detail.cfm/page/msf ... _KPDVNTED/

Includes some pedestrian crosswalk improvements http://www.msfa.com/content/RFP%20WEST% ... 0SET.3.pdf

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 5th, 2016, 1:00 pm

Those drawings show 5th going away between Chicago and Park. I don't remember that being official before. Was it already official? They also show this plaza being rather seamless all the way into the Medical Examiner parking lot. I know the Vikings have paid some far-too-small sum of $ to use that property for gameday activities, but this suggests almost a level of ownership. It's going to be really hard to redevelop that block some day if it's a de facto portion of the stadium property.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » February 5th, 2016, 2:09 pm

That would have a huge impact on the Medical Examiner parcel. It's especially interesting given the recent news that the Medical Examiner is seeking new offices in a different location.

https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=13& ... er#p107084

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » February 12th, 2016, 5:36 pm

No surprise, Downtown East Station will be renamed to U.S. Bank Stadium Station by March 1st 2016.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 12th, 2016, 5:39 pm

DArn. I was kind of hoping Wells Fargo would swoop in for the naming rights.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » February 12th, 2016, 5:45 pm

Did they get that one for a freebie too or will metro transit maybe see some money this time?