Suburbs - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Suburbs - General Topics

Postby Anondson » January 13th, 2016, 10:37 pm

PiPress mobile site truly brings a new level to sucky webpages. After adding a content blocker (1Blocker was my choice after reviews) loading PiPress mobile pages improved immensely.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » January 13th, 2016, 10:47 pm

I'm sure opposition is rooted strictly in aesthetics, not fear of shifty renters. It's a charming neighborhood.

https://goo.gl/maps/7dgLCZQj8Lv
Yeah, those are ugly. On the other hand how often do you spend time on the street looking at your house, and can anyone suggest a better design with the given parameters (duplexes with two car garages on a narrow lot?)

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 13th, 2016, 10:54 pm

You look at your neighbors right across the street quite often.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 13th, 2016, 11:03 pm

Well, not if there's no windows in the front of your house because it's all garage.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 14th, 2016, 8:52 am

Meanwhile on my block: https://goo.gl/maps/TrCj4N54CZB2

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 14th, 2016, 9:02 am

can anyone suggest a better design with the given parameters (duplexes with two car garages on a narrow lot?)
Alleys?

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » January 14th, 2016, 9:35 am

I'm sure opposition is rooted strictly in aesthetics, not fear of shifty renters. It's a charming neighborhood.

https://goo.gl/maps/7dgLCZQj8Lv
Yeah, those are ugly. On the other hand how often do you spend time on the street looking at your house, and can anyone suggest a better design with the given parameters (duplexes with two car garages on a narrow lot?)
I admire the front of my house quite often when I go for walks and runs or do yardwork, plus other people have to look at it. I don't look at myself often but I still want to look somewhat good. Most people spend way more time in their cars than outside looking at them, but a car's appearance is still pretty important to people.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 14th, 2016, 1:17 pm

We should make sure to highlight the difference between form and public space elements and building aesthetics/architecture. A cheap, boxy, vinyl-clad duplex with a four-stall garage facing an alley and street trees shading a sidewalk would be totally fine in my book. Then again, as Monte points out, if you only ever drive past your neighbors and rarely look out the front windows (if they exist), does it really matter to you what the public realm looks like?

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » January 27th, 2016, 4:07 pm

Yet another grocery store chain headed for the Twin Cities.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... tores.html (locked). Said to be larger than SuperTargets.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » January 27th, 2016, 4:17 pm

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... tores.html (locked). Said to be larger than SuperTargets.
They are scouting the metro, according to the article, they've looked at Brooklyn Park, Vadnais Heights, Lakeville and Lake Elmo. Meh. I went to a Meijer that recently opened in the Milwaukee area while in my home town over Christmas. There were things I really loved about the store, and things that I didn't. Overall, I felt like it was a Super Kmart (if anyone remembers those from the 90s). However, I certainly wouldn't mind to see them join this market - it certainly beats Walmart.

Of note, from the article:

“Meijer will outdo SuperTarget on produce, and SuperTarget will greatly outdo Meijer on the other side of the store, which is general merchandise,” he said.

Twin Cities shoppers will be pleased by Meijer’s entrance, Davidowitz said.

“Their stores are very impressive,” he said. “The selection, freshness and variety of their produce beats almost everybody. They also have great variety in their bakery. They’ve got butchers and fresh meat. That’s what separates supermarkets.”

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » January 27th, 2016, 4:17 pm

Realstreets
Nicollet Mall

Postby Realstreets » January 28th, 2016, 8:26 am

They are scouting the metro, according to the article, they've looked at Brooklyn Park, Vadnais Heights, Lakeville and Lake Elmo. Meh. I went to a Meijer that recently opened in the Milwaukee area while in my home town over Christmas. There were things I really loved about the store, and things that I didn't. Overall, I felt like it was a Super Kmart (if anyone remembers those from the 90s). However, I certainly wouldn't mind to see them join this market - it certainly beats Walmart.

Of note, from the article:

“Meijer will outdo SuperTarget on produce, and SuperTarget will greatly outdo Meijer on the other side of the store, which is general merchandise,” he said.

Twin Cities shoppers will be pleased by Meijer’s entrance, Davidowitz said.

“Their stores are very impressive,” he said. “The selection, freshness and variety of their produce beats almost everybody. They also have great variety in their bakery. They’ve got butchers and fresh meat. That’s what separates supermarkets.”
Meijer is truly awful. It's essentially a super Walmart and as such will have huge footprint and massive parking lots. The exteriors are not pretty and the interiors are all concrete and metal.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » January 28th, 2016, 9:17 am

My Michigan relatives really like Meijer. I've been less than impressed the few times I was inside—other than with the sheer size of the thing. They're ginormous.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 28th, 2016, 3:36 pm

Yeah, they're awful.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » January 28th, 2016, 4:01 pm

I hear the typical size of these stores are around 225,000 sq ft.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 3rd, 2016, 9:59 pm

Another bailout for a wealthy exurb who's growth ponzi scheme didn't materialize:

http://www.startribune.com/met-council- ... 367603971/

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » February 4th, 2016, 6:59 pm

Old Country Buffet just closed 7 of their 10 restaurants in the metro area.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... rants.html

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 4th, 2016, 10:01 pm

Old Country Buffet just closed 7 of their 10 restaurants in the metro area.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... rants.html
(for the few of you who know where I work) Glad I'm not in the office tomorrow...the elderly residents of one of the cities losing its OCB would be blowing up my phone asking why and telling me the city is going down the tubes. First Baker's Square closes, now this! That said, I was a little surprised to see my city on the list.

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Postby blobs » February 5th, 2016, 10:45 am

I recently made the mistake of going to the Richfield one, but OCB Roseville used to be pretty good.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 5th, 2016, 10:59 am

So, location of the next UrbanMSP meetup should be the Burnsville OCB.
Old Buntry Cafe