Southdale Area - Edina

Twin Cities Suburbs
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Southdale Area Development - Edina

Postby Anondson » January 6th, 2016, 8:43 am

You know, after the one council member dumped on BoA over design, this one deserves at least an eye roll.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 6th, 2016, 11:24 am

I would very much prefer a roundabout here, as it would get rid of the double left turn lanes and free rights, significantly shortening the crossing distances. Double-lane roundabouts are still pretty daunting for peds, but it would be far less so than the current intersection, and take up a bit less ROW too, allowing for wider sidewalks, boulevards, etc...maybe even bike infrastructure on Xerxes given the current lane widths.

P.S. I also heard a hot, cheesy, crusty, and very saucy rumor about another site not far from here. Can't say more than that right now.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 15th, 2016, 10:58 am

Giordano's to open a second restaurant in the former Baker's Square near 66th and York/Xerxes in Richfield.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... 1452876931

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 15th, 2016, 11:00 am

Giordano's planning a second location near York and 66th - Former Baker's Square: https://goo.gl/maps/Pa2bPMd6z5x

Drizzay
Metrodome

Postby Drizzay » January 15th, 2016, 1:32 pm

Wow, no shortage of pizza joints within a 5 mile radius from here:

Pizzeria Lola
Redwagon Pizza
Fireside Foundry
Davanni's
Pizza Luce
PizzaRev
Broadway Pizza

plus all of the common takeout/delivery places (Papa Murphy's, Pizza Hut, Dominos, Sarpinos, etc)

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 15th, 2016, 2:00 pm

And the new Z Italiano just opened in Southdale next to the theater, too.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 4th, 2016, 6:51 pm

The proposed Bank of America development (on the old Think Mutual site, NW corner of 69th and France) passed.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... ranch.html

I have this itching sensation the France Ave guidelines for development are a bunch of garbage if this somehow passes muster. What a joke.

The first time through the city council objected to the new branch being closer to France (seriously!). That porkchop that was left behind after the France Ave "pedestrian improvement" curves the setback line with it, bringing the building closer to France meant the building encroached the curving setback from the porkchop turn.

I dunno, Edina/Hennepin county leaving this porkchop corner and failing to put in a pedestrian crossing was a big failure in the France Ave pedestrian improvement anyway. And here it's effect is to cause the BoA branch to be shoved unnecessarily further from the street than it needed to.

Anondson
IDS Center

Southdale Area Development - Edina

Postby Anondson » February 16th, 2016, 9:11 am

Construction inside has been walled off and begun for the Hennepin County Service Center inside the mall. It will be at the east side entrance between Herberger's and JCPenny. This places it within walking distance of the transit station.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » February 16th, 2016, 3:05 pm

Will there be an outside entrance, or do you have to go through the mall to access the service center?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 16th, 2016, 3:53 pm

I believe the normal service center hours are hours the mall is open anyway. There shouldn't be a conflict. Is it ever open before 8 am or after 10 pm
But no, otherwise it looks like no outside entrance. I bet we see a large outside sign added though. It will be right inside the outside entrance though.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 16th, 2016, 4:18 pm

The mall is generally open earlier as far as the building for mall walkers. Stores have their own hours.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » February 16th, 2016, 6:10 pm

More just disliking the idea of being forced to go through private property to access the service center. (The parking lot is also private property, of course, but doesn't feel as involved as going inside the mall itself.)

But I guess there's precedent, with the Midtown Service Center.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 24th, 2016, 12:09 am

The old Best Buy to be redeveloped as six story apartments? York is becoming quite a dense strip.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... etail.html
I heard a rumor that this had been approved, and was doing some research for work, so I dug into it.
The Comp Plan amendment and preliminary development approvals passed unanimously on Dec. 1. I don't believe "final" approvals have yet been granted, but there didn't seem to be any hesitation on this project by the council, based on their comments and unanimous vote.

Interestingly, the owners of 2 of the 3 remaining houses on Xerxes (between this development and Onyx at 6725 York) did show up to speak: http://edina.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.p ... a_id=64834

The most amazing thing I learned in watching this meeting was that Edina's parking requirement for multi-family residential (at least in this zoning district) is only 1 stall per unit. That's incredibly progressive for a suburb. Like unheard of, as far as I know. The developer is proposing slightly more: 245 stalls (+16 tandems) for residential, plus 10 stalls for the "coffee shop" space. Even so, ~260 stalls for 210 units (ratio of 1.24 per unit) is very low this far from the city center. My point, I guess: Despite the rapidly improving walkability of the area, and relative density of shops & groceries, it's not like one can really walk to high-paying work from here (not to mention that all employers in the vicinity offer abundant & free parking).

EDIT: And per our conversations about improvements to York/66th, check out the following conditions of approval:
6. As part of a Developer's Agreement, the property owner would be required to
participate in appropriate cost sharing improvements to the 66th and York intersection,
which may include elimination of the right turn lane, providing green space and
improving pedestrian crossings.
12. The Applicant must cooperate and partner with the City to secure to future funding
sources for public roadway and improvements and pedestrian crossings.

There was discussion about a possible roundabout, and that early discussions with Hennepin County had not ruled it out. It would make a lot of sense to rebuild at the same time as the 66th project, even though this intersection lies outside the scope of that work. They also discussed possibly establishing a TIF district for this project and others in the area to pay for public improvements (improved intersections, sidewalks, crosswalks, green space, etc.)

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 24th, 2016, 12:10 am

Oh that project is very far along. I have little doubt that it won't happen at this point.

Squidward
Metrodome

Postby Squidward » February 24th, 2016, 4:08 pm

Bizjournals reports that Galleria is planning a 4-story expansion at the Gabberts furniture site.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 24th, 2016, 7:17 pm

Not sure if we had a name posted for the two phase project in the northwest corner of 66th and York, but the council agenda shows the apartments will be called Millenium at Southdale. Interesting name choice I guess, to go with Millenium at West End?

Anyway, looks like the residents on York just north of this project sent a signed petition begging that Millenium at Southdale not be connected to York. Connecting 65th all the way through to York is clearly not in the scope of this, but in the agenda there is a map of the greater Southdale area of Edina and a future 65th reconnected grid is on a map for someday.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 1st, 2016, 4:43 pm

Office complex across from Southdale Center sells for $55 Million.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ml?ana=twt

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 15th, 2016, 8:06 pm

Edina city manager is tweeting out some images of Millenium at Southdale, proposed at NW corner of York and 66th.

https://twitter.com/edinacityman/status ... 4746117121

https://twitter.com/edinacityman/status ... 5595594752

https://twitter.com/edinacityman/status ... 9552611328

Two of the images were in a recent Edina city council agenda I found. Notice the turn lane from York to 66th proposed to be closed!

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 15th, 2016, 8:47 pm

I asked Scott Neal if there will be any connecting 65th through and he responded:
https://twitter.com/edinacityman/status ... 4753828865
@xeoth There will, but not immediately. It will come with Phase two of the project.

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Postby blobs » March 16th, 2016, 9:03 am

This is amazing. I'm blown away by how quickly this area is transforming. It almost feels like a downtown area now.