Green Line Extension - Southwest LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
stp1980
Metrodome

Re: East Metro Rail Capacity Study

Postby stp1980 » January 15th, 2016, 1:39 pm

I don't know if I am missing anything in the full list of projects, but transit is pretty much non-existent in the governor's bonding proposal.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » January 15th, 2016, 1:43 pm

Dayton doesn't like light rail and has publicly said he's skeptical of mass transit many times. Current support for transit comes mainly from local governments and agencies, advocacy groups and inner city DFL legislators like Dibble.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 15th, 2016, 1:45 pm

Just because Dayton didn't put it in the bonding bill doesn't mean that he doesn't want it funded.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » January 15th, 2016, 1:47 pm

Dayton doesn't like light rail and has publicly said he's skeptical of mass transit many times. Current support for transit comes mainly from local governments and agencies, advocacy groups and inner city DFL legislators like Dibble.
What?! Um, no... here's why:

"Gov. Mark Dayton left light rail transit and expansive highway and bridge repairs out of his $1.4 billion bonding request, saying he instead expected a comprehensive transportation bill to fill those funding gaps."

*Locked*
Dayton’s $1.4B bonding package sidelines transportation
http://finance-commerce.com/2016/01/day ... portation/

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » January 15th, 2016, 1:55 pm

Didn't see that, thanks. Still, if you dig deeper you'll find that it's not going to be the governor's office that will be pushing hard for metro transit this session. Remember who called the "timeout" on SWLRT a few years back?

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » January 15th, 2016, 2:00 pm

Lest we forget, the "Itasca group" will be pushing for it!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 15th, 2016, 3:20 pm

He may not be anti-transit, but he's not pro-transit. He has a long history of windshield mentality.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby Sacrelicio » January 15th, 2016, 3:47 pm

Maybe I'm nuts, and maybe this has been considered already, but what if we built the Southwest LRT in two stages: one that serves the city and has the best possible alignment for Southwest Minneapolis, and then one that serves the suburbs, and they meet somewhere in the middle? So instead of planning a continuous route now, we build the city part and then "hook up" the suburban route in the future? Similar to how we built the first part of the Green line and now we're adding an extension. Build a Minneapolis extension that works for the city and then build the suburban extension later.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » January 15th, 2016, 4:30 pm

Maybe I'm nuts, and maybe this has been considered already, but what if we built the Southwest LRT in two stages: one that serves the city and has the best possible alignment for Southwest Minneapolis, and then one that serves the suburbs, and they meet somewhere in the middle? So instead of planning a continuous route now, we build the city part and then "hook up" the suburban route in the future? Similar to how we built the first part of the Green line and now we're adding an extension. Build a Minneapolis extension that works for the city and then build the suburban extension later.
Don't think that's an option to get the full Federal Funding, or without needing to restart at the very beginning of the hand-out line. Neither of which make good sense of tax dollars.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » January 15th, 2016, 4:36 pm

Right now we have a line that's 90% funded with the only hold out being the state of Minnesota. The feds and localities are behind the project. Opening it up now would be foregoing the committed federal funds and getting in the back of the federal funding line. Rail foes itching to derail the line now wouldn't have to fight a Minneapolis only extension because one couldn't possibly be funded with local dollars available under current law. State and local funding would be contingent on comprehensive state transportation funding increases. If we get that we get the state money needed to build the line.

I dispute that there exists another line that would better serve southwest Minneapolis.
Last edited by VAStationDude on January 15th, 2016, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 15th, 2016, 4:37 pm

However you can use a built portion of the line to qualify as the local match, so if we went back in time and planned it that way, we could build a route that works the best in Minneapolis, and when that's done, get federal funds for the second half.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » January 15th, 2016, 4:40 pm

Isn't the head of UHG one of their members? Of course he wants a commuter line straight to his sprawling suburban campus so he can still hire millennials. Fire up the subsidy machine for him!

And Dayton has never been much of a friend to transit. I'd question if he's ever ridden it in his life outside of a possible media event.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » January 15th, 2016, 4:53 pm

Isn't the head of UHG one of their members? Of course he wants a commuter line straight to his sprawling suburban campus so he can still hire millennials. Fire up the subsidy machine for him!

And Dayton has never been much of a friend to transit. I'd question if he's ever ridden it in his life outside of a possible media event.
You know, honestly. I can't imagine what you must be like when discussing topics you don't like. Your attitude really makes me not want to participate in this forum. I'm not sure if you just don't realize it, or if you just don't care - but your posts are almost always negative. It really makes this place not fun. While it's understandable that you may not like the fact that UHG exists in a suburban "sprawling" campus - IT'S NOT MOVING!!!! So bitching about their "sprawling" campus on a forum of like-minded people, doesn't really do anyone any good. Not to mention, just because it might be a suburban campus, doesn't mean that we shouldn't connect these with people. You know, THOUSANDS of people work in their buildings - and they plan to continue their growth. Are you suggesting that we don't do anything to make suburban lives better? Or worse, say where a company can build their HQs?

Your arguments are all so one-sided. Your way or no way. That's hardly fun for a forum where we discuss development.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 15th, 2016, 4:55 pm

Why don't you just disagree with him instead of having your own bitchfest?

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » January 15th, 2016, 5:52 pm

OK.
"I disagree with him"

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » January 15th, 2016, 11:24 pm

That Eden Prairie-Kenwood-Harrison connection. Millenial bait. The Snapchat Express.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » January 16th, 2016, 6:53 pm

Why don't you just disagree with him instead of having your own bitchfest?

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » January 22nd, 2016, 10:35 am

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » February 3rd, 2016, 1:29 pm

Some stations names might change. In the presentation for the CAC meeting today, there is mention of changing Van White Pkwy. to Dunwoody Blvd, Penn Ave. to Bryn Mawr, and 21st St to W 21st St. Names will still have to go before the Transportation Committee and the Council to be approved.

A lot of renderings in the presentation too.

http://metrocouncil.org/getdoc/f187a5ef ... ation.aspx

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 3rd, 2016, 3:31 pm

At first glance, I misread the quote as belonging to Dayton instead of Daudt. :shock: