[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » January 8th, 2016, 10:14 am

Take down the billboard, open the windows along Lake, and you'd have yourself a handsome building.
My guess is they want to combine all the small spaces into a single larger one, which makes more sense for the way modern retail /restaurant economics works. They can likely afford to wait out for a top tier tenant because of the billboard revenue.

Even though it's great to see Lyn-Lake becoming a nicer entertainment destination, I mourn all the quick service restaurants we've lost -- they're good assets for this kind of neighborhood.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » January 8th, 2016, 12:12 pm

The left side of Tatter's seems to be getting a tenant, anyone know what's going in?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 11th, 2016, 9:15 pm

See the sign is up for the Korean BBQ joint that is taking over the old furniture place next to McDonald's on Hennepin.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 12th, 2016, 2:03 pm

Milkjam (next to World Street Kitchen in LynLake) gets a City Pages write-up: http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/a- ... ef-7957705

That building is a poster child for independent businesses making it work in a newly-constructed building. The spaces are small, but not super tiny, seemingly reconfigurable, excellent frontage, etc. It's also possible that the commercial rents are able to be lower since so much public subsidy was thrown at the residential component (100% Section 42 rentals), but who really knows how that whole shell game works.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 12th, 2016, 5:35 pm

It's also possible that World Street Kitchen is really good and therefore might outperform the average independent business.

NEeaster
Metrodome

Postby NEeaster » January 16th, 2016, 5:11 pm

Neadeau(sp?) is closed. Also - anyone know what is going with the building on Lyndale kitty corner from Hums? There is scaffalding up.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » January 16th, 2016, 5:39 pm

I don't really know what the point of this post is, but I've screencapped as many vacant LynLake retail spaces I could think of. Sorry if this is depressing. :(

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 16th, 2016, 6:48 pm

With that many spaces under or unused in a 2 block radius of Lyndale/Lake, there has to be a perception by landlords that their buildings are at a premium. But with the 11 that Phil showed, plus I think there are a few more inside that parameter. They are going to be sitting on them for some time to come. If Uptown was static or full maybe they could think that. But there is space in the Uptown area where they could better justify the extra expense of a higher lease ,due to higher foot traffic thru that area. Some of these spaces have been sitting empty for more than 2 years now. There is new space being build that will be in competition with this space as well. Apparently some of the buildings owners can afford to take the loses off their taxes where other need to cash flow with lower shorter leases.

BTW, thanks Phil for some enlightening photos. I would not have guess that there were that many spaces sitting vacant.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 18th, 2016, 10:13 am

I think we talked about the Calhoun square sign being taken down but nobody has mentioned how awesome it looks now that is completely led and changes color at night I think that's pretty fun for uptown

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » January 18th, 2016, 10:28 am

Yeah, I think it looks great! On another light related Uptown topic, I was a little disappointed to see the boulevard trees on Hennepin/Lake no longer populated with Christmas lights in December. It created a great holiday atmosphere. If I remember correctly, Lynlake still puts them up. Maybe its because the trees near Hennepin/Lake are just getting to the point of being too large?

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » January 18th, 2016, 10:55 am

Tree lights are expensive. Uptown's convenience electrical infrastructure is in bad shape. I believe the Uptown SSD has been adding outlets to the ornamental light poles but the conduit and outlets by the trees are several decades old (maybe mid-1990s) and are mostly not working. If and when the streetscape in Uptown is redone, the Uptown SSD would need to contemplate what infrastructure is necessary for the business district of the future. Other stakeholders would also want to weigh in on what it thinks should be provided, too.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » January 18th, 2016, 1:34 pm

I think we talked about the Calhoun square sign being taken down but nobody has mentioned how awesome it looks now that is completely led and changes color at night I think that's pretty fun for uptown
I noticed this when I drove this Uptown this past week and was wondering if I had just forgotten that the lights change (not in Uptown proper almost ever) or if it was new. It really does look neat!

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 21st, 2016, 7:34 am

New Bomemia opening a restaurant at 800 W Lake Street.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 21st, 2016, 1:29 pm

New Bomemia opening a restaurant at 800 W Lake Street.
OMG OMG OMG

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » January 21st, 2016, 1:35 pm

I was just about to say that I wonder if anyone is a fan of New Bohemia, but I guess David answered the question. I've been twice, food was okay, but the atmosphere seemed very cold and chain-y.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 21st, 2016, 1:41 pm

I really like it, I like the group seating, does actually remind me of dining in Germany etc etc. Lots of beer options.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 21st, 2016, 1:56 pm

Haven't we known this was going in here for quite a while?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » January 21st, 2016, 4:14 pm

Haven't we known this was going in here for quite a while?
Yes, when Louie's closed, it was followed almost immediately by that announcement. I wondered why this was posted again too.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 21st, 2016, 10:21 pm

I must have missed it. This will be a nice addition, though. Too many new restaurants in the busy neighborhoods are expensive and/or formal. New Bohemia is unique food, reasonably priced, casual and has a big beer list. That's all you want sometimes.

Kind of interesting that this will now be their fourth restaurant, though. Kind of surprised it's been that successful.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » January 22nd, 2016, 11:04 am

The Golden Valley location is always packed.