Black Lives Matter, The Police, etc.

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Black Lives Matter, The Police, etc.

Postby grant1simons2 » January 11th, 2016, 4:13 pm

One of my teacher's in 5th grade called me Gene occasionally.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 12th, 2016, 11:58 am

There's another Matt Steele who's apparently a leader in the MN GOP....
The most hilarious example has got to be Dan McGrath who is both the Executive Director of Take Action MN and the Executive Director of Minnesota Majority, the people who brought you photo ID.

I was super-confused for several years when reading the newspaper until someone pointed this out to me.

https://www.minnpost.com/politics-polic ... il-it-isnt

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » January 12th, 2016, 2:09 pm

It's not quite the same thing, but I always thought the Tom Stinson/Tommy Stinson thing was kind of funny.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » January 18th, 2016, 2:57 pm

Very cool video, worth the watch. How To Build A “Post-Ferguson” Police Station with Studio Gang. Could be a great idea to bring to Minneapolis.

http://www.archdaily.com/780242/video-s ... on-america

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » January 18th, 2016, 10:09 pm

Not sure whether to file this under this or walkshaming, but...

http://gawker.com/st-paul-police-sergea ... 1753694193
Run them over. Keep traffic flowing and don’t slow down for any of these idiots who try and block the street. Here is the deal, you continue to drive and if you hit someone make sure you call 911 to report the accident and meet the cops a block or two away and you can justify stopping further away because you feared for your safety since the past people in this group has shown a propensity towards violence. Since they are trying to block the street and/or cross where there is no crossing you should not be charged with anything. Now, these idiots could try and sue you in civil court, but remember that it will be jury trial and so most likely it will come out in your favor.

Anondson
IDS Center

Black Lives Matter, The Police, etc.

Postby Anondson » January 18th, 2016, 10:48 pm

Geezus.

Nice grab by the person who caught this. But also your catch that this LEO is tacitly admitting that traffic laws around pedestrian safety, and the enforcement of them, are borderline meaningless drivel that he points out if you want to kill someone that doing it by driving a car is as good as a license to murder.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » January 19th, 2016, 8:22 am

Even more disturbing to me in some ways is that this isn't some bottom-of-the-rung newbie. A sergeant with 22 years with SPPD and a leadership position in the Fraternal Order of Police. It really reinforces how bullshit the "few bad apples" claims are. SPPD's union attacked the school suprintendent last year for expressing concern for her black students. Minneapolis' union leadership doesn't even need description at this point. How much violent, virulently racist shit has to come from leadership, often leadership elected by officers, before it's not just "a few bad apples"? The Us vs Them, keep-the-blacks-in-line mentality is institutionalized and reinforced every time these departments vote.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 19th, 2016, 10:19 am

Should the constitutional protection against unreasonable search and seizure protect against housing inspections of rental property if the inspector is accompanied by police, and no evidence of wrong doing? Many Minneapolis cities currently allow rental property to be inspected at any time without warrant to see if the place is kept clean, and have the inspector accompanied by law enforcement.

http://www.startribune.com/tenants-priv ... 365700181/

The Minnesota Supreme Court will take a case up that police can't search a home without a warrant, even if they are accompanying housing inspectors.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » January 20th, 2016, 11:53 pm

Geezus.

Nice grab by the person who caught this. But also your catch that this LEO is tacitly admitting that traffic laws around pedestrian safety, and the enforcement of them, are borderline meaningless drivel that he points out if you want to kill someone that doing it by driving a car is as good as a license to murder.
I was reading in the comments on the speed limit blog post just now and someone mentioned that a cop had told him that the traffic enforcement unit for the MPD had been disbanded 4 years ago! I couldn't believe it. I had heard from the city that the MPD doesn't really do traffic enforcement but to hear that they actually had a unit dedicated to this and then got rid of it...unreal. I don't know what we as citizens can do but this is not right.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 21st, 2016, 7:30 am

I wonder if they got rid of the unit after one of a dangerous past high speed chases...

mulad

Postby mulad » January 30th, 2016, 9:01 pm

In the wake of the sound-less Laquan McDonald video in Chicago, an investigation of repair logs indicates 80% of dash cams in police squad cars had been failing to properly record audio. In many cases, microphones had been damaged, removed, placed in the glove box, or otherwise disabled. In addition, 12% of dash cams experienced a video issue of some sort on any given day. The police department has started doing weekly audits, and since December, has begun disciplining officers who tamper with the camera/microphone systems.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... struction/
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016012 ... e-dashcams
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2015122 ... cord-audio

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 30th, 2016, 9:52 pm

Every single instance of tampering should be indicted for tampering with evidence.

80% is not a few bad apples. And those who silently went along are good apples either.

I hope someone checks the rate of tamperings of the local forces here. I want good guys on our law enforcement agencies and prosecution departments.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 9th, 2016, 9:50 am

BLM plans to disrupt the Crashed Ice event.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 9th, 2016, 9:56 am

BLM plans to disrupt the Crashed Ice event.
Or at least plans to get press for threatening to. (Before negotiating down to something non-disruptive?)

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 9th, 2016, 10:01 am

They are demanding the firing of the St. Paul police officer who urged people on Facebook to run over BLM protesters. The officer is currently on paid administrative leave.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 9th, 2016, 10:04 am

That cop is almost certainly going to get fired, but even racist idiots have a right to due process, right? So this seems like a weird demand to me.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » February 9th, 2016, 1:05 pm

Due process privileged in firing police are actually party of the problem. It's a perfectly logical demand if you believe bad policing is an issue.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 9th, 2016, 1:30 pm

So they're demanding that the city should unilaterally break the union contract? Which is maybe a demand they should make, but it's sort of disingenuous to demand they fire this cop without due process, without acknowledging what it would actually take to do this.

Look, I'm not really one to defend the police, and clearly it's too hard to get rid of bad actors, but that's probably a question for the next round of union negotiations.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » February 9th, 2016, 1:35 pm

I think a lot people in the movement actually know exactly what it would mean to do this. Many of us don't believe police unions should be legal in the first place.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 9th, 2016, 1:37 pm

Oh! What other public unions should we get rid of then?