Street, Road and Highway Projects

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Street, Road and Highway Projects

Postby mattaudio » February 1st, 2016, 12:39 pm

I really like what you did at Hwy 13/110, getting rid of the curves. Regarding 149(Dodd)/110, I know Mendota Heights is planning a pedestrian bridge across 110 between the two shopping areas. In real life, I wish they'd actually look at how to do a more comprehensive bridging of 110 to make these two shopping areas work together as one: Considering the north half is a halfway-decent example of new urbanism, this could actually function well as a downtown for Mendota Heights. Streetview caught two dudes walking on the shoulder: https://goo.gl/maps/xB2c8W93rJu

It would really be tough to lower the grade of 110 by much, since there's already a creek buried diagonally under this intersection. But it would be so worth it, to make a properly connected downtown. https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 1st, 2016, 2:41 pm

I really like what you did at Hwy 13/110, getting rid of the curves. Regarding 149(Dodd)/110, I know Mendota Heights is planning a pedestrian bridge across 110 between the two shopping areas. In real life, I wish they'd actually look at how to do a more comprehensive bridging of 110 to make these two shopping areas work together as one: Considering the north half is a halfway-decent example of new urbanism, this could actually function well as a downtown for Mendota Heights. Streetview caught two dudes walking on the shoulder: https://goo.gl/maps/xB2c8W93rJu

It would really be tough to lower the grade of 110 by much, since there's already a creek buried diagonally under this intersection. But it would be so worth it, to make a properly connected downtown. https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing
Three of the bike/walk path plans recently presented were for tunnels under 110, connecting the the shopping centers.

NEeaster
Metrodome

Postby NEeaster » February 1st, 2016, 7:10 pm

Does anyone know if the city is working on replacing the pedestrian lights on the Hennepin Ave Bridge? Most are not working, are all busted up, or the light fixture has been removed completely.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » February 1st, 2016, 8:49 pm

Have you contacted 311? That's a good place to start.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 1st, 2016, 10:30 pm

They have been. Look on the DeLaSalle side. Brighter than all the others.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 4th, 2016, 9:28 am

Anyone else notice that when the city of MPLS repainted crosswalks this summer/fall they moved stop bars back several feet? I've seen it all over the place in the neighborhood: a faint stop bar with a brand new one at least twice as far back from the crosswalk as the old.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 4th, 2016, 10:32 am

Good idea, if it's coupled with tightening curb radii at intersections. That's a known technique to allow for larger vehicles to swing into the opposing lane as they take a tight turn. I doubt that's the reason though.

Maybe Minneapolis is doing it to better distinguish the stop bar from the double-stripe crosswalk? Stopping-behind-the-stopbar compliance by motor vehicle operators approaches zero in the city of Minneapolis. It's especially dangerous for motorists planning to right-turn-on-red... they slide to the right of stopped cars, right on into the crosswalk, only worrying about finding a gap in traffic for their right turn. I'm shocked that more pedestrians aren't hit, while in a crosswalk with the signal, by drivers performing this ridiculously dangerous and ridiculously common maneuver.

But of course, if we want to make our stop bars stand out against our crosswalks, we should just be zebra striping.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » February 4th, 2016, 10:44 am

Good idea, if it's coupled with tightening curb radii at intersections. That's a known technique to allow for larger vehicles to swing into the opposing lane as they take a tight turn. I doubt that's the reason though.
That's why they set the bar way back on Lasalle & Grant a couple months ago, to help Nicollet-detour buses make the right turn there. But I've seen very few people actually comply with it, even with a prominent "STOP HERE" sign.

mulad

Postby mulad » February 12th, 2016, 1:12 pm

The intersection of Kellogg Boulevard and Jackson Street in St. Paul will be mostly closed for 10 weeks, starting February 22nd, in order for Xcel Energy to do utility work. Some traffic from eastbound Kellogg to southbound Jackson will be allowed through for access to Shepard/Warner Road.

https://www.stpaul.gov/departments/publ ... son-street

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 15th, 2016, 12:03 am

We talked about the 46th Street redo up thread a bit and someone (maybe me?) mentioned the accidents that tend to happen at the 4th Ave intersection. There was a bad one on Saturday afternoon that we happened upon when it was in cleanup mode. At least three cars were involved, including a Dominos delivery driver that went through the Field School fence after taking out the beg button pole and Field School electronic sign. He had to have been going awfully fast to end up that far off the street. I don't know what it is about that corner, but Field School just replaced their fence not that long ago from a previous incident.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

froggie
Rice Park

Postby froggie » February 15th, 2016, 6:21 am

Matt (or maybe it was Alex?) mentioned that one on Twitter. Clearly a case of the driver going too fast. Probably to make his/her delivery inside the 30 minute window.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » February 15th, 2016, 9:26 am

We talked about the 46th Street redo up thread a bit and someone (maybe me?) mentioned the accidents that tend to happen at the 4th Ave intersection. There was a bad one on Saturday afternoon that we happened upon when it was in cleanup mode. At least three cars were involved, including a Dominos delivery driver that went through the Field School fence after taking out the beg button pole and Field School electronic sign. He had to have been going awfully fast to end up that far off the street. I don't know what it is about that corner, but Field School just replaced their fence not that long ago from a previous incident.
I live a couple blocks away, I've lived in the neighborhood about 3.5 years, I've seen at least half a dozen crashes like that, including one last winter where the driver ended up in the front yard across the street from me. It's ridiculous. The city just doesn't address the issue.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 19th, 2016, 11:08 pm

While doing some research today I see that there will be many frustrated drivers in the NE metro (read: Roseville/Shoreview area). According to MNDOT's current construction page, the following projects all kick off this spring.

- replacing the pavement on 35W from 36 to 694
- add third travel lane to 694 from Lexington to Rice. (2 yr project)
- replace the 36 bridge over Lexington Ave.
- replace the Cty Rd E2 bridge over 35W

I can envision many people wanting to avoid 694 and trying to use 36... Only to run into more construction. I'm already looking forward to fall when it is all complete.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » February 20th, 2016, 6:36 pm

At only $1 Million, I'd say it's more like a mill and overlay (that will likely be done in a weekend or two) than "pavement replacement".

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 29th, 2016, 3:44 pm

Hennepin Avenue overhaul planned for 2020
http://finance-commerce.com/2016/02/hen ... -for-2020/

It'll be interesting to see this process play out.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 3rd, 2016, 6:31 pm

Sounds like they're headed in the right direction. Hopefully the Washington re-do is a success and they can get even more progressive on Hen!

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » March 7th, 2016, 3:47 pm

Crosswalks as speed bumps? That's one idea for making Hiawatha-Lake intersection more pedestrian friendly
http://www.startribune.com/crosswalks-a ... 371225691/

http://stmedia.startribune.com/document ... _Final.pdf

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 7th, 2016, 11:30 pm

I perused that PDF last night. There are some surprisingly unusual ideas proposed. My favorite of the practical solutions is the tight diamond with the offset ramps. Better use of space and much safer for non-motorized users.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 7th, 2016, 11:32 pm

There's also discussion in this thread: https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3939&start=20

Not sure where is most appropriate. It's obviously a transportation project, but I feel like it has a pretty strong effect on the neighborhood as a whole.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 9th, 2016, 7:15 am

Signal replacement and ADA upgrades planned for 35th, 36th Streets in Minneapolis between Blaisdell and Park Avenues.
Sounds like the signal replacements have been in the works for years, but the ADA improvements are a late addition to the project scope.
Bumpouts anywhere? Based on recent evidence of similar projects, not likely.

http://finance-commerce.com/transit/201 ... p-updates/
The City of Minneapolis was granted Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) funds to upgrade
several overhead signals throughout the City. The project is programmed for FY 2016 and the TIP
currently shows a total cost of $2,586,533 with a federal contribution of $2,327,880. The purpose of this
amendment is to account for an increase in estimated construction cost of $1,453,467 to a new total of
$4,040,000. The cost increase is due to the addition of ADA pedestrian curb ramps to some
intersections in the project area. The entire cost increase will be paid for with local funds.