Stadium LRT Station, Ped Bridge & Plaza (MSFA block)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Stadium LRT Station, Ped Bridge & Plaza (MSFA block)

Postby mamundsen » February 18th, 2016, 10:11 pm

I'll just keep calling it "The Dome"
I have many friends that talk about "the new dome." I shake my head every time.

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » February 18th, 2016, 10:13 pm

You guys. The Sandcrawler.
That's the U's alumni center
Urbanist in the north woods

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 18th, 2016, 10:16 pm

I'll just keep calling it "The Dome"
I have many friends that talk about "the new dome." I shake my head every time.
Not gonna lie, I call it that too.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 18th, 2016, 10:42 pm

I'm still gonna call US Bank Stadium and TCF Bank Stadium "West Bank" and "East Bank" just to confuse people.

"Let's meet at The Stadium. Get off at the West Bank station."
You called the DTE station West Bank even though there is also a West Bank station!? that would be confusing!

Yourpalborno
City Center

Postby Yourpalborno » February 19th, 2016, 8:21 am

You guys. The Sandcrawler.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » March 3rd, 2016, 12:32 am

Doubt it. There is still the Target Field Station
I haven't heard people call that "the stadium" though - do people call it that? I hear "Target Field", "Twins ballpark", "ballpark", and occasionally "Twins stadium" but rarely "the stadium" - which I think is still attached to the Metrodome for most. Since the new NFL temple is proximate to the Metrodome, I'm guessing people will think of it as "the stadium".

Side point though, I think naming (corporate or otherwise) only works when it provides meaningful distinction from a colloquial description, or is easier to say. So I still rarely hear people call the light rail "the metro" - they generally call it "the light rail" instead - but I do hear people say, "the green line" and "the blue line" all the time. Similarly, people tend to call the hockey arena "Xcel" because that's quicker than anything that generically describes it. I think "Target Field" works because it's about the shortest possible description that's unique, while nobody calls the U's stadium "TCF Bank Stadium"; many call it "TCF" which is a naming win, but plenty of people seem to call it "the U stadium" or "the Gopher stadium". Any hope that it might get called "The Bank" (which really wasn't going anywhere anyway) is dashed now that the other football stadium is "US Bank Stadium". So TCF probably came out ahead, but it's not entirely clear cut.

For "US Bank Stadium" it's worse: there's no convenient shorthand for that that still keeps the company's name in discernible condition: while "TCF Bank Stadium" can be "TCF", "US Bank Stadium" can't be shortened to "US" for obvious reasons. and any attempt at "The Bank" type names runs aground again because of the confusion with TCF. So US Bank will probably get screwed locally because it's no harder to say, "The Vikings Stadium" than "US Bank Stadium", and the former is clearer since it ties the descriptor to the use. And it's likely to end up just being "the stadium" anyway, bringing this full circle to the original point.
[/size]

"Target Field", "Xcel", "US Bank", "TCF Bank", ect. are what I use/hear others use most frequently, dropping "stadium" from the latter two entirely. Seems to work well enough. I can appreciate how David's got his naming down, though. :lol:

kiliff75
Nicollet Mall

Postby kiliff75 » March 12th, 2016, 1:01 pm

Looks like they are starting to build the pedestrian bridge, footings are being constructed for it

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 14th, 2016, 8:52 am

Looks like they are starting to build the pedestrian bridge, footings are being constructed for it
They're well past footings. Some photos from last week are here: https://twitter.com/ajm6792/status/707271264310857728

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 14th, 2016, 9:16 am

Well it's official, the train just announced it to me, US Bank Stadium Station. A few signs have been replaced but most still say Downtown East.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » March 15th, 2016, 5:06 pm

Well it's official, the train just announced it to me, US Bank Stadium Station. A few signs have been replaced but most still say Downtown East.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Signs was being replaced today.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: The Commons - Downtown East Park

Postby mattaudio » May 9th, 2016, 10:39 am

The DTE ramp, designed ready for a structure to bear on top of it, would have been the perfect location for a park building to serve the new Commons (assuming Park Ave could be made ridic easy to cross, with speed tables or whatnot). Imagine some sort of backoffice facility for the park and for transit operations, topped/ringed by a beer garden type of facility... Sea Salt on a bigger scale. The lease rights and commissions from a Sea Salt-type operation could probably help fund ongoing maintenance and upkeep of The Commons itself.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » May 9th, 2016, 10:54 am

That sounds like aiming low for that air space to me. Then again, the grand plans that were being discussed have come to nothing.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 9th, 2016, 11:06 am

It's higher than the current plan, which is just expanded plaza. The Vikings have too much influence on this parcel, since MSFA owns it now. Unfortunately, we could never build a tower on this half block to help shield views of that awful stadium.

Regarding this DTE ramp... original renderings of the entire area showed reconstructed vertical circulation for the ramp, connecting to a skyway across 4th St to the *NEW* MSFA ramp. I would have actually supported that plan. Side note: It would have also allowed for a completely grade-separated link to the eastbound Blue/Green rail platform, meaning the open-air bridge to nowhere we now see would not have been required.

Record Machine
Metrodome

Postby Record Machine » May 9th, 2016, 11:29 am

The arches are staying.
ugh.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 9th, 2016, 11:34 am

At one of the meetings for the Commons when the design was just getting started, I asked if they would be removed and got met with a lot of displeased old people who said they worked hard to get those there. Apparently they thought I was attacking it for resembling the Stone Arch Bridge.

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mcgizz » May 9th, 2016, 11:50 am

At one of the meetings for the Commons when the design was just getting started, I asked if they would be removed and got met with a lot of displeased old people who said they worked hard to get those there. Apparently they thought I was attacking it for resembling the Stone Arch Bridge.
Wait a second, that is exactly what it resembles. Its a really ugly, tacky, and poorly placed fake bridge. It should be torn down to allow better sight lines and allow the park to more easily flow to the stadium.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 9th, 2016, 12:05 pm

People. It's art.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » May 9th, 2016, 12:26 pm

On another topic, I didn't realize that Chicago was getting a significant narrowing too:

Funny that we can't close Portland, but we can make both Portland and Chicago so narrow.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » May 9th, 2016, 1:03 pm

This bridge is so ugly. What was the whole point of making it again? Besides most people won't be crossing over the tracks. Most of them will be getting on the train. I guess I'm confused as to the whole reasoning behind the bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 9th, 2016, 1:07 pm

Preaching to the choir man