Maintaining old houses

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Maintaining old houses

Postby mattaudio » August 24th, 2015, 8:33 pm

Maybe you can just bug your landlord. But those windows on the outside of windows are called storm windows, and you can take the sash out and have a hardware store (like River Lake True Value) reglaze it.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 24th, 2015, 9:26 pm

Old aluminum storm windows? I honestly don't know where to get them. I'm sure someone has them. You could try Bauer Brothers or a similar place.

If you're up for it, replacing those old aluminum storm windows will make a huge difference. We did that several years ago and the cost was far lower than I'd expected. We got new modern metal storm windows and not only do they work great (no more annoying stuck clips and such), they do a super job quieting the outside noise. We also had our old wood windows reconditioned, including new ropes, and weatherstripped. Paul Schmidt of Restoration Window Systems did ours. http://www.restorationwindowsystems.com [The website stinks but Paul knows his stuff]

More recently I discovered that you can get replica wood storm windows made, which theoretically should insulate better but I'm sure they cost a pretty penny.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 24th, 2015, 10:22 pm

Take it to ace hardware. Easy repair,and easily reinstalled from inside. No ladder needed.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 24th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Yeah, you can definitely just get the glass repaired. But if you've been thinking about it and/or have the financing available, consider replacing them. It really does make a huge difference.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » December 30th, 2015, 11:14 am

So I'm pretty sure this asbestos in my basement: https://imgur.com/a/iTKLw

Anyone have experience with getting stuff like this tested and/or remediated in Minneapolis?

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » December 30th, 2015, 11:32 am

Having these guys convert our windows to their Weather Strip tilt-in windows:

http://www.bordenwindow.com/Product_List.html

$250 a window, supposed to cut down on noise, drafts, and make them way easier to clean. Girlfriend's parents had it done and they really liked the results. They have airplane noise at their house and we have traffic noise so hopefully it helps.

Starting with our kitchen, I can report back after January 11th, when they are scheduled for us.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 30th, 2015, 11:47 pm

Anyone have experience with getting stuff like this tested and/or remediated in Minneapolis?
Almost certainly asbestos. When I had mine removed it wasn't bad at all.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 30th, 2015, 11:50 pm

Having these guys convert our windows to their Weather Strip tilt-in windows.
Do you have rope & pulley currently? We got the old sashes weatherstripped, new locks and new storms and the sound reduction was amazing. We did not replace the rope & pulley systems. I'm sure doing so would improve the thermal properties considerably.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » December 31st, 2015, 9:37 am

Do you have rope & pulley currently? We got the old sashes weatherstripped, new locks and new storms and the sound reduction was amazing. We did not replace the rope & pulley systems. I'm sure doing so would improve the thermal properties considerably.

We do. Might be a good thing to do. Glad to hear the sound reduction is that good!

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » January 1st, 2016, 10:54 pm

At one point I found some material tucked into my rim joist cavities that didn't look like typical insulation. Fortunately, it turned out to not be asbestos. The company I had do the testing was:

http://www.asbestostesting.com

Not the most modern website but they provided a quick easy service and told me the exact composition of the material. Just print off the PDF on the website, put a sample in a plastic ziplock bag, and mail both of them with your payment ($30). More precise details are here:

http://www.asbestostesting.com/stepbystep.htm

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 2nd, 2016, 4:54 pm

We do. Might be a good thing to do. Glad to hear the sound reduction is that good!
If you're getting tilt-in windows then your rope & pulley is going away. Make sure they fill the cavities with spray-foam insulation.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » January 7th, 2016, 9:57 am

In general, all of the new products are way over-scaled for a house of your vintage. Smartside is also pretty ugly i.m.o. It does a bad job of faking it, as the 'grain' is way too pronounced.
My 1939 Cape Cod also has the Smartside. It wasn't my choice, as the house was completely gutted and rehabbed by the previous owner. However, I do like it. Sure the grains are too pronounced, gaps between the molded shakes somewhat too wide, etc. But it's also the nicest-looking house on my block if I do say so myself!

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » January 7th, 2016, 10:18 am

If you're getting tilt-in windows then your rope & pulley is going away. Make sure they fill the cavities with spray-foam insulation.
The guy seemed to really know what he was doing, and will probably do whatever is best, but thanks for the tip. They come Monday and I'll work from home so I can make sure.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 7th, 2016, 12:28 pm

The guy seemed to really know what he was doing, and will probably do whatever is best, but thanks for the tip. They come Monday and I'll work from home so I can make sure.
Let us know how it turns out! We love our reconditioned windows. Who's doing your work?

If your storm windows are old aluminum, seriously consider getting new ones. The modern stuff is SO much better. That is what really deadened the sound for us. You could even get replica wood storms from A&A or another outfit, but that's super pricey and probably not work it unless you're an OCD old house freak like me.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » January 7th, 2016, 1:13 pm

Let us know how it turns out! We love our reconditioned windows. Who's doing your work?

If your storm windows are old aluminum, seriously consider getting new ones. The modern stuff is SO much better. That is what really deadened the sound for us. You could even get replica wood storms from A&A or another outfit, but that's super pricey and probably not work it unless you're an OCD old house freak like me.
Mentioned above, but these guys:

http://www.bordenwindow.com/Product_List.html

We have new aluminum storm windows.

Hey, I was not that into old houses at all until I moved in with my girlfriend, she's a geek about all that stuff, now I'm all about it too.

versitalex
City Center

Postby versitalex » February 19th, 2016, 2:49 pm

Sacrelicio, how'd the window refurb go? Our house is from 1915 and some of the windows could really use some help, so I'm interested in your results.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » February 19th, 2016, 3:57 pm

I like it so far! Definitely some noise and draft reduction. Haven't popped them out to clean them yet but the guy showed me and it seems pretty slick.

Realstreets
Nicollet Mall

Postby Realstreets » March 30th, 2016, 9:52 am

I don't now the code and I am no legal expert should you go to sell your home, but in my opinion asbestos is totally overblown. You will not get sick from removing a few feet of it once in your life. Look online for directions but basically lay down plastic on the floor, soak it down with water, like dripping wet, so it doesn't create dust, and cut it off. Double bag it with tape. Dispose of properly and wear a mask.

However, if you don't need to remove it, leave it.

Realstreets
Nicollet Mall

Postby Realstreets » March 30th, 2016, 9:56 am

Has anyone finished a basement? Did you put in interior drain tile and or sump pump? Is it risky to finish a basement without it? My house is about 100 years old but actually has a poured concrete basement. No water infiltration but typical moisture.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 30th, 2016, 10:09 am

We finished ours. 1947s post war story-and-half. After an expert check our soil conditions the advice was that by adding soil to get sloping ground around our foundation enough, extending downspouts 10+ feet away.

We piled up the soil by recommendations and extended spouts. Worked wonders.