Rochester

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Re: Rochester

Postby Minneboy » February 19th, 2016, 5:42 am

Funny, I thought the library was still in the old downtown JC Penney's building.

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » February 19th, 2016, 7:02 am

They finally got their own purpose-built building in the mid 90's
Urbanist in the north woods

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » February 19th, 2016, 10:41 am

The PostBulletin is reporting that $3 million would come from private donations, $20-40 million would come from city issue bonds, with the county and Destination Medical Center funding the remainder.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » February 19th, 2016, 1:07 pm

Remember that Holiday Inn that was proposed across from Saint Mary's that could've had a subway connecting to the hospital?
Well that plan just got withdrawn due to overrun costs.

http://www.postbulletin.com/business/de ... aa9a5.html

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » February 22nd, 2016, 5:40 pm

Demolition has started so that the Lofts at Mayo Park development can begin. The project is located across from the Civic Center on the other side of the Zumbro River, features 29 apartments, and will be 4 stories tall.
http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... 1cfb3.html

also, here's another article on the ill-fated Holiday Inn development across from Saint Mary's Hospital. Rather interesting read.
http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... c2b0c.html

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » February 22nd, 2016, 9:03 pm

That article regarding the Holiday Inn seems very one sided. Was the writer paid by the developer? The project itself always seemed a little weird. They were also trying to get the city to pay for tunnel that would give them a huge competitive advantage. It was a shady deal to begin with. Really glad the city didn't jump thru a bunch of hurdles to get this thing approved faster.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » February 22nd, 2016, 9:40 pm

There was a second hotel in the area that had built for the potential to add a "subway" connection to Saint Mary's as well. I believe the thought was to eventually have the 2nd street area, which has like 9 or 10 hotels already, connected by the subway system like downtown is. There were plenty of issues facing the development though, so I'm not surprised at this outcome.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » February 26th, 2016, 12:26 pm

New mix-use development downtown Rochester? The developer, Midwest Landing, is also behind the Lofts at Mayo Park. On their website they have it listed as the 324 1st ave Commercial Building. The building looks like it would be the neighbor to the 318 Commons building and across the street from the Minnesota BioBusiness Center... each of which are around 8-9 stories tall as well.

http://www.midwestlanding.com
This exciting new downtown project is a nine story commercial building with 64,000 total square feet of for-sale and for-lease business condos.
http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... 0c5fe.html
There's a sign out front with a gauzy and glamorous drawing of what the eight-story "business condo" building might look like, but Helen acknowledged, "We're still exploring options." She said the City Council action this week on the skyway in that area has moved things along, and "I think we might be able to pull it together in the next year."

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 26th, 2016, 12:31 pm

Hey whatever happened to that Saudi development?

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » February 26th, 2016, 12:47 pm

Hey whatever happened to that Saudi development?
I emailed one of the Rochester city council members and they claim that the developers are still in talks with the city over that development. They actually own quite a few buildings along the Zumbro River, so I I'm sure SOMETHING will happen... it's just a matter of when.
I expected demolition, but have seen none this month. Staff does tell me they are working feverishly on the development agreement though. Hope that is a good sign.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » February 26th, 2016, 1:04 pm

Still pending. It's a big project with many components. And many parking.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 26th, 2016, 5:16 pm

Don't think the Saudi's have as easy access to cash as they did a few years ago with the low oil prices. Not to say that they could not bankroll it. Things just take more time now as they have to watch their investment spending a bit more than they used to.

I see the Rochester investment, due to being next to the Mayo, to be an investment that should produce a nice strong and solid return on investment. The Mayo is not going to go out of business any time soon.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » February 26th, 2016, 6:37 pm

Don't think the Saudi's have as easy access to cash as they did a few years ago with the low oil prices. Not to say that they could not bankroll it. Things just take more time now as they have to watch their investment spending a bit more than they used to.

I see the Rochester investment, due to being next to the Mayo, to be an investment that should produce a nice strong and solid return on investment. The Mayo is not going to go out of business any time soon.
All the more reason to divest in other sources of income, thus eventually and even possibly stabilizing their economy....at some point.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » February 28th, 2016, 5:36 pm

Just out of curiosity, I have noticed that there has been a huge increase in development in Rodchester. Are there any plans to build light rail downtown?

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » February 29th, 2016, 12:49 am

Just out of curiosity, I have noticed that there has been a huge increase in development in Rodchester. Are there any plans to build light rail downtown?
I believe there are private interests in looking into light rail, but the city and Destination Medical Center Board are looking at a streetcar line.

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » February 29th, 2016, 7:30 am

There has been off-and-on talk of light rail connecting the airport to downtown, but I'm sure it's a loooong way in the future
Urbanist in the north woods

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 29th, 2016, 7:42 am

There has been off-and-on talk of light rail connecting the airport to downtown, but I'm sure it's a loooong way in the future
Biggest problem with going out to the airport is ROW and also tying in with other developments to get real ridership numbers that make sense and help to make the least of a operating subsidy.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » February 29th, 2016, 8:14 am

Common belief is that streetcar/LRT is roughly 20 years away, barring a serious shift in political climate.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » March 1st, 2016, 2:33 pm

I was down in Rochester on Sunday, here are some pictures of the expanding Mayo Civic Center. I know they're not glamorous shots by any means, but it's hard to not be impressed by just how massive it's turning out to be.

Also, it'll be interesting to see this corner change, as the Broadway Plaza building (I can't remember what it's being called now) will be getting a neighbor soon(?). I am going to miss that mural though, it kind of adds character to that corner.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » March 3rd, 2016, 11:15 am

Sounds like we should have a decision regarding the Twin Cities-Rochester high speed rail development by July. Glad to hear it's the North American High Speed Rail Group looking into this.

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... 45e8d.html