U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Re: U.S. Bank Stadium Construction Updates

Postby LakeCharles » March 11th, 2016, 8:43 am

I just don't get the argument. Corporations can now just rename streets however they see fit and if we dare to object we're petty and irrational? If Nicollet Mall was renamed in 3-block segments by the largest corporation that built along it, would all you Vikings fans be fine with that? I mean the Twins did it once, so I guess its okay?

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » March 11th, 2016, 9:02 am

11th should be renamed Lombardi Avenue.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 11th, 2016, 9:15 am

Chicago Ave near the stadium should be renamed to "Brett Favre Pass". Then everyone would be angry.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » March 11th, 2016, 9:31 am

11th Ave S should be renamed 12th man in the huddle.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 11th, 2016, 9:34 am

I just don't get the argument. Corporations can now just rename streets however they see fit and if we dare to object we're petty and irrational? If Nicollet Mall was renamed in 3-block segments by the largest corporation that built along it, would all you Vikings fans be fine with that? I mean the Twins did it once, so I guess its okay?
Do we really have to do this? Are we really going to pretend not to know the difference between a local pro sports team and a local Fortune 500 company?

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 11th, 2016, 9:51 am

When the Viking Queens win at least a Superbowl then they can make such requests. The Twins actually won two World Series with Kirby Puckett so that make it meaningful. The Queens have not done anything meaningful yet in their franchise history except to blackmail us into a new stadium.
The "Queens" thing goes back a long ways, but when you think about it, it's kinda sexist and homophobic, isn't it? I'm not sure implying that they are lacking in "masculinity" is a good "joke" to keep alive (RIP Steve Cannon).

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 11th, 2016, 9:54 am

Not to mention that the Wilfs haven't really contributed anything to the stadium. Their "share" is being paid for by US Bank in the form of naming rights, and by their fans in a sham called PSLs. That is what is paying the Vikings' share, not the actual Wilf's money.
Can we stop with this? Any money that they could have put in their pocket instead -- which includes the naming rights and the PSLs -- is "their money."

That said, I wouldn't rename the street if it was up to me but don't see anything to get up in arms about if they do.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 11th, 2016, 9:59 am

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » March 11th, 2016, 10:03 am

Do we really have to do this? Are we really going to pretend not to know the difference between a local pro sports team and a local Fortune 500 company?
For this purpose I see no meaningful difference.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 11th, 2016, 10:04 am

I sent the following note this morning:
Dear Councilmembers Bender, Frey, and Goodman,

I am writing to you today asking that you oppose the renaming of Chicago Avenue to Vikings Way. Unlike the short, dead-end Twins Way near Target Field, Chicago Avenue is a major through street in Minneapolis, running from the Mississippi River all the way down to Highway 62. I do not believe that Twins Way should be held up as precedent that the Vikings should be able to do the same to Chicago Avenue. I understand their reluctance to having a street adjacent to the stadium share a name with one of their divisional opponents, but frankly I don't feel that's any of the city's concern. Chicago Avenue has held that name far longer than the Minnesota Vikings or the NFL have been in existence, and is one of the city's most prominent commercial streets.

I would be just fine with a commemorative name, in which the street would still legally be called Chicago Avenue, but also carries commemorative "Vikings Way" signs, as was done in 2014 with Carew Drive on 2nd Avenue N, adjacent to Target Field (as noted in this MinnPost article: https://www.minnpost.com/politics-polic ... -rod-carew)

Thank you,

Mr. Twincitizen

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 11th, 2016, 10:27 am

Twincitizen nails it.

I wish VikingsFan would just come out and accuse us all of being anti-semitic instead of dancing around it so clumsily.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 11th, 2016, 10:30 am

This will be a park that fronts an NFL stadium in which negations relating to the parks formation included agreements where the Vikings secured the right to use the park for Viking tailgate purposes - as if that was never an anticipated and foreseeable role for that park from the beginning.
But that is not the deal. Closing it for tailgating on football game days I could live with. But they effectively own the park for at least a third of the days in a year. That's utterly ridiculous.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 11th, 2016, 10:34 am

not sure what the big deal is. when the twins got a street renamed "twins way" there was barely a peep.
Because Twins Way was not a long-established major corridor in the city.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 11th, 2016, 10:42 am

*I* don't know the difference. Both exist to make money. Both carry out all kinds of branding and advertising strategies. Both can be sources of local pride (or shame). If you think the Vikings ownership considers themselves anything more than businessmen, then man I don't know. It's entertainment, no different from Time Warner or AMC.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 11th, 2016, 10:45 am

Twins way is Twins way for it's entirety, it never becomes anything else.

Imagine using Google Maps to take you from HCMC to the Mill District. Turn onto Chicago Ave. In 800 feet Chicago Avenue becomes Vikings Way. In 800 feet Vikings Way becomes Chicago Ave.

Remember, this isn't about opposition to providing a vanity name for the Vikings, it's about changing the primary name that identifies this street. It has all sorts of implications beyond putting a sign up on a post.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » March 11th, 2016, 10:47 am

But they effectively own the park for at least a third of the days in a year.
A third of the days is 122. They own the park for 122 days? Where did you get that number?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 11th, 2016, 10:48 am

Here's the staff report for the Planning Commission recommending approval of the renaming. I particularly like that for street naming criterion #9: "A street name should not uniquely identify a particular product, service, tenant, business, or living person", the response was basically "Yeah, but we're going to go ahead and do it anyway. It's fine."
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 11th, 2016, 10:57 am

But they effectively own the park for at least a third of the days in a year.
A third of the days is 122. They own the park for 122 days? Where did you get that number?
Well I was wrong. But it's still a significant number of days, way beyond what's reasonably connected to football.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 11th, 2016, 11:01 am

Here's the staff report for the Planning Commission recommending approval of the renaming. I particularly like that for street naming criterion #9: "A street name should not uniquely identify a particular product, service, tenant, business, or living person", the response was basically "Yeah, but we're going to go ahead and do it anyway. It's fine."
A street name should be changed only if there will be a public benefit that clearly outweighs the public confusion and cost that would be created by the name change.

Changing the name of this segment of the street to Vikings Way will be adjacent to the future US Bank Stadium where the Minnesota Vikings will play football under a 30 year lease agreement
Not even an attempt to address the actual criterion.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 11th, 2016, 11:19 am

*I* don't know the difference. Both exist to make money. Both carry out all kinds of branding and advertising strategies. Both can be sources of local pride (or shame). If you think the Vikings ownership considers themselves anything more than businessmen, then man I don't know. It's entertainment, no different from Time Warner or AMC.
Then you're being purposefully glib, and I don't know how to help you.

As for the broader discussion, I would think the commemorative name is a fine compromise for the team. The Twins "official" address at the Metrodome was 34 Kirby Puckett Place, so for all intents and purposes it didn't matter what the road was officially named.