Allianz Field and Snelling-Midway Development

The Most Livable City in America™
MattW
Rice Park

Re: Soccer Stadium and Snelling-Midway Development

Postby MattW » March 16th, 2016, 11:34 am

The general parking argument by neighbors is incredibly weak. MLS teams hold roughly 20 home games a year. Unlike most other North American sports, Soccer isn't a drawn out corporate lovefest and the matches are over within 2 hours. Taking this assumption and adding on 30 mins before and prior a match, the streets will be full for 3 hours a day 20 days per year, or 5.5% of the days in a calendar year.

To take my example further, my Dad and I are Packers fans. I usually make it to 2-3 games at Lambeau Field a year. Lambeau is built in the middle of a residential neighborhood and doesn't have near enough parking for all the fans to park their cars in its own lots. Where do fans park? Well, they park on the neighboring streets, for free. Lambeau field can hold 4x the number of fans that this stadium will and has minimal public transit options for games, this stadium will have many.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 16th, 2016, 7:00 pm

I hate the cliche comment about traffic concerns but this one's fairly legit. I'm curious how difficult/costly it is for the city to issue the blocks most impacted by stadium parking overflow residential permits so only residents can park during non-business hours. When my parents lived in Lincoln Park in Chicago they had residential permits, and almost never got to park their car in front of their condo (nobody could, it was always jam-packed with cars), even with residential permits. It's the trade-off you get for being so close to all of these great amenities, but in this case I don't think the nearby streets will be too jammed as long as they don't allow non-residents to park on weeknights/game times.
Plain and simple fact, you don't own the parking spot in front of you place as a result it's available to the public. This should be considered when choosing where to live.
I realize that. I'm trying to think of a solution aside from "tough shit".

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » March 16th, 2016, 9:20 pm

Plain and simple fact, you don't own the parking spot in front of you place as a result it's available to the public. This should be considered when choosing where to live.
I realize that. I'm trying to think of a solution aside from "tough shit".
That IS the solution. Well, that and an index finger aimed in the direction of Vadnais Heights. Saint Paul is a city and shouldn't shy away from the amenities and hubbub that are a natural part of urbanity.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » March 17th, 2016, 9:24 am

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » March 17th, 2016, 12:33 pm

Nan Fergen, who for 26 years has lived near Hamline University -- about a half mile north of the site -- said she struggles with students and others taking up all the spaces near her home. The city has put parking restrictions in place, she said, but has not required residential permit parking -- often leaving her shut out from parking near her own house.

JFC... You basically live on a damn campus.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » March 17th, 2016, 12:57 pm

I wonder how many of these people crying NIMBY right now will turn around and offer parking in their front lawn for $20/car on match days?

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » March 17th, 2016, 1:29 pm

I wonder how many of these people crying NIMBY right now will turn around and offer parking in their front lawn for $20/car on match days?
Hell a half mile down the road the other way they do it for like 12 days straight during the fair. Where are the calls to get rid of the fairgrounds because of ITs inconvenience?

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » March 17th, 2016, 1:44 pm

Residential parking permits would impact businesses year round, whereas the stadium will impact parking a handful of hours per year.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 17th, 2016, 2:51 pm

Residential parking permits would impact businesses year round, whereas the stadium will impact parking a handful of hours per year.
Not necessarily. In my parent's example in Chicago the permits were only enforced after 6 p.m. on weekdays, and businesses did just fine. I realize St. Paul isn't Chicago but if we're talking about urban forms and expectations, this was the expectation/reality in Chicago.

However, if full-time permits are a bad idea, can they instill permits only for game days, or is that not feasible? Again, I'm trying to think of a solution that appeases the NIMBYs enough to not be concerned about the stadium and (potential) surrounding redevelopment. IFF there were millions of SF of office space, retail space and new housing, not to mention a stadium for a popular soccer team, there would be some legit traffic increases here.

gcm
Nicollet Mall

Postby gcm » March 19th, 2016, 9:20 am

My brain must not be working. I'm reading in the local papers about opponents of the site redevelopment complaining about the $18m price tag, but to me it sounds like quite the deal. Recall that St Paul/Met Council wanted to redevelop the site, but dropped those plans last year because of the infrastructure costs. They estimated it would cost $24m for the basic infrastructure and an additional $40m for parking. I also read recently that they are paying $16m to reconstruct Jackson Street in downtown St. Paul. Once again, $18m for a new stadium and future development that will be trans-formative is a steal.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » March 22nd, 2016, 2:10 pm

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » March 27th, 2016, 10:06 am

Bill heads to the Senate tax committee on Thursday.
http://www.senate.mn/schedule/schedule. ... e=standing

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » March 31st, 2016, 4:24 am

Here is an article from the Pioneer Press about the stadium bill working its way through the legislature.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/03/30/st ... 1459383853

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » March 31st, 2016, 1:29 pm

The team owner planning to build a $150 million-plus professional soccer stadium in St. Paul’s Midway neighborhood told lawmakers on Thursday that the project could collapse if they don’t approve a property tax exemption on the site.
http://finance-commerce.com/2016/03/mcg ... ax-breaks/
“What some might say are small dollars are actually meaningful dollars with us.”
And they're not meaningful to the public providing them?! I think I just lost my appetite for this thing.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » March 31st, 2016, 3:20 pm

The team owner planning to build a $150 million-plus professional soccer stadium in St. Paul’s Midway neighborhood told lawmakers on Thursday that the project could collapse if they don’t approve a property tax exemption on the site.
http://finance-commerce.com/2016/03/mcg ... ax-breaks/
“What some might say are small dollars are actually meaningful dollars with us.”
And they're not meaningful to the public providing them?! I think I just lost my appetite for this thing.
If them asking for property tax exemption for the stadium is surprising to you, then you haven't been paying attention. That is one of the main reasons they are going for the bus barn site in Midway. It was already tax exempt. It's also the main reason they are not building in Minneapolis. Hodges told them they would not make the property tax exempt.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » March 31st, 2016, 3:48 pm

If them asking for property tax exemption for the stadium is surprising to you, then you haven't been paying attention. That is one of the main reasons they are going for the bus barn site in Midway. It was already tax exempt. It's also the main reason they are not building in Minneapolis. Hodges told them they would not make the property tax exempt.
No, I knew this was coming but the rhetoric they're suddenly resorting to is disgusting. It oozes with arrogance and the pompous presumption that the interests of rich are far more important than those of the general public. And, now they're playing up the whole "if we don't get this we're pulling out" game! We've become too conditioned to throwing money at the rich here in Minnesota that this sort of thing has started rolling off us with too little effect.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 31st, 2016, 3:55 pm

I'm pretty sure that's been the sentiment from the beginning, or else they would have just gone ahead with doing it in Minneapolis.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 31st, 2016, 8:38 pm

I don't think their stance or their rhetoric has changed in any meaningful way. What do you expect them to do, go to the legislature and say, "Hey, we don't really need this tax break, but can we have it anyway?"

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » April 8th, 2016, 8:26 am

Shuttles may answer traffic issues near soccer stadium
http://finance-commerce.com/2016/04/shu ... r-stadium/

It's *locked* so I've no idea what's inside...

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » April 13th, 2016, 1:28 pm

I got a kick out of this!! No pun intended

http://www.twincities.com/2016/04/13/un ... dium-site/