Ceresota Building Apartments (155 5th Ave S)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Didier
Capella Tower

Ceresota Building Apartments (155 5th Ave S)

Postby Didier » November 20th, 2012, 7:43 pm

The Journal reports that the Ceresota Building, near the Stone Arch Bridge in Mill City, will be converted from offices to apartments.

http://journalmpls.wordpress.com/2012/1 ... -building/
Last edited by Didier on November 20th, 2012, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lancestar2

Re: Ceresota Building Aparements

Postby Lancestar2 » November 20th, 2012, 8:12 pm

Thanks for posting. That sounds like another nice project I think it will be a nice place to live once they build the new riverfront Though I wonder why only studios and 1 bedrooms would be nice to see a few 2 and 3 and bedrooms too.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 20th, 2012, 9:24 pm

That are of downtown does seem prime for more family housing, but studio and 1 bedrooms are probably easier to develop and less of a hassle to deal with, so as long as there's demand for those units, they'll be built.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » November 20th, 2012, 10:47 pm

Are they able to put more windows in this building? Or are they stuck with the few windows it already has due to the Ceresota's historic status?

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » November 21st, 2012, 9:25 am

Are they able to put more windows in this building? Or are they stuck with the few windows it already has due to the Ceresota's historic status?
I'm sure they'll cut new windows into the brick like they did at the Copham apartments on Washington. While I don't know the details of what a historic status designation allows or prevents, legally they couldn't develop apartments without windows in each bedroom.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 21st, 2012, 9:51 am

Yeah, that was my first thought about this as well. It would be a real shame to lose that iconic sign and completely carve up that facade beyond recognition. I can imagine this one being a real fight at the HPC.

If you've never been inside the office space, it's worth checking out. I think you can still access the lobby -- it's quite the early 80's throwback.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 21st, 2012, 10:48 am

I'm sure they'll cut new windows into the brick like they did at the Copham apartments on Washington. While I don't know the details of what a historic status designation allows or prevents, legally they couldn't develop apartments without windows in each bedroom.
I very much doubt that you will be able to cut in windows as this is a historic building and the inside was designed to deal with the lack of windows. This is why there are limiting this building to studios and one bedrooms. Light would have to come in from the atrium.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Ceresota Building Apartments

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 21st, 2012, 11:08 am

Didn't they cut windows in the condos that are part of the Mills District and Museum -- particularly the flour stacks?

aguaman
Nicollet Mall

Postby aguaman » November 21st, 2012, 1:49 pm

I was recently at a performance in Antonello Hall at the MacPhail Center for Music. The seating has a great view of the Ceresota building and as I was watching the performance, I was imagining how interesting it might be to have a window in the Ceresota that could have a rear view overlook for any of the many performances that take place there. If balconies were to be placed on the west elevation, they would take advantage of that view. I don't think it's in anyone's best interest to cut windows into the south elevation beyond level 1.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 21st, 2012, 1:55 pm

Didn't they cut windows in the condos that are part of the Mills District and Museum -- particularly the flour stacks?
The south wall for sure is a no go on the windows. I remember that from when they wanted to put in windows for the office section. I'd say that would hold true on the other area too.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 21st, 2012, 2:08 pm

Gotcha, thanks!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 21st, 2012, 6:01 pm

It has an atrium?

The tower portion has 28 windows on all four floors and four sides. The rest of the building has 10 windows per floor (6) facing north. Not much to work with. Crown Roller would make a better conversion.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 21st, 2012, 7:18 pm

It has an atrium?

The tower portion has 28 windows on all four floors and four sides. The rest of the building has 10 windows per floor (6) facing north. Not much to work with. Crown Roller would make a better conversion.
Yep. there are mirror on the south wall that reflect light onto the what is now office space. Think a one sided Bulter Square.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » November 30th, 2012, 9:40 am

From this link:
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 101067.pdf
The Ceresota Building operated as a grain elevator from the time it was built in 1908 until the mid-
1980s. In 1987, the building underwent a major renovation and conversion to offices. As part of the
conversion, the windowless south side (behind the Ceresota Enriched Flour sign) was covered with a
mirrored wall on the interior. This allows light to reflect into the atrium from the skylights above. This
system would continue to be used for the residential conversion. Substantial landscaping work was also
completed when the building was renovated in 1987.
Prelim. Site Plan
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 101068.pdf

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » January 3rd, 2014, 4:27 pm

"Plan B for Mill District landmark"

"A plan to convert office space in the historic Ceresota building into apartments has surfaced once again at Minneapolis City Hall.

Ceresota Funding, a St. Louis Park firm that owns the Mill District structure, won approval from the Minneapolis Planning Commission in December 2012 to convert the mill into 117 apartments. But plans have changed since then, and now the company is planning 57 senior-oriented residential units, plus a rooftop solarium and deck, solar panels, mechanical improvements and new signs."

http://www.startribune.com/business/238538871.html

I wonder how cool the view from that rooftop solarium will be?

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Postby MplsSteve » January 3rd, 2014, 11:04 pm

It's a shame that it can't remain as office space because it's really much better suited for that than residential, unless a lot of disfiguring alterations are made. The original renovation was actually very creative in dealing with the lack of windows. It's too bad that they can't find a major tenant to take the entire building similar to Allina Health at the Midtown Exchange site.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 4th, 2014, 12:45 pm

Yeah, this does seem like the sort of peripheral location that should be attractive to an office user that wants to be close to downtown but can't afford the big-buck rents. Of course, it may be that on a square foot basis, senior apartments are more lucrative than Class C office space. I guess I've always assumed that office space paid more, but the recent spate of office-to-apartment conversions would seem to suggest otherwise.

Didn't the city used to have offices in here? Seems like the MCDA of the MPHA or somebody used to take up a bunch of space there.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » January 4th, 2014, 1:09 pm

It'd be cool if they could do residential in the tower & top floor and keep the rest office space. But yeah—wherever the money is.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 4th, 2014, 1:17 pm

I don't think that the Ceresota was every used by the city or county, but the Crown Roller next door did house county offices at one time. I think they were in there in the late 1990's to early 2000 before the area had turn white hot. More or less, before the condo conversion boom that started with the Northstar Woolen building.

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » January 4th, 2014, 7:45 pm

CPED is in the building across the plaza.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]