Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Tyler
Foshay Tower

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby Tyler » April 5th, 2016, 2:33 pm

Jos. A. Bank is getting killed and closing a ton of stores nationally.
Towns!

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » April 5th, 2016, 2:41 pm

I keep hoping that they will open up a big 2 story retail space where this, Radio Shack and the M & I bank were...for something like Nordstrom Rack to compliment the Off Fifth across the street. They really seem to have no intentions of attracting new retail to that building though. IDS doesn't really either for that matter, I guess they are for sale though. There are certain stores that would do well down here. Target does, Marshalls seems to, Off Fifth did well enough to come back. It is like City Center is the only one trying!

We still don't know what is happening with the Y here...Maybe they plan on putting a vertical connection through one of these spaces...though not sure how that works when they are buying only the top levels. Complicated ownership situation in that building...I guess I would think it must be a condo like kind of situation.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 5th, 2016, 2:48 pm

The Jos. A. Bank on Nicollet Mall is closing. If there's not a dead mall thread in the suburban forum maybe we should make one and put Nicollet there.
You know I went through your post history and searched keyword "dead". Its really sad how much you like this word. Can you try having a little optimism for once in your life?

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » April 5th, 2016, 2:57 pm

Kiddo, the world isn't all sunshine and rainbows. If you think sheer optimism is going to get you what you want in life then I have a bridge to sell you.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » April 5th, 2016, 3:00 pm

The world isn't, but you do have a choice to post here or not. And posting unsupported negativity followed by ad hominem attacks at anyone who's tired of reading it seems like a waste of time.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » April 5th, 2016, 3:01 pm

I'd say it's pretty good news for the city's fashion sense that Jos. A. Bank is closing.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » April 5th, 2016, 3:09 pm

ha!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 5th, 2016, 3:13 pm

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 5th, 2016, 8:49 pm

Kiddo, the world isn't all sunshine and rainbows. If you think sheer optimism is going to get you what you want in life then I have a bridge to sell you.
"Lisa, I'd like to buy your rock!"

We have to be one of the few cities on the planet where downtown's population is blowing up and retail is LEAVING the area, (*disclaimer*: for the most part)

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 5th, 2016, 9:11 pm

Oh gee thanks mister! You sure did teach me something 'bout life today!!

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » April 5th, 2016, 9:43 pm

Let's just all be friendly. That's not too much to ask for, is it?

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » April 6th, 2016, 11:11 am

We have to be one of the few cities on the planet where downtown's population is blowing up and retail is LEAVING the area, (*disclaimer*: for the most part)
Which all points to retail's [comparative] weakness downtown as being not the consequence of external market forces, but of ineffective policy choices -- whether at the municipal, regional, or state level. And these, at least, can be changed. I'm too much of a neophyte to say what the poor choices have been, or what the more-effective alternatives would be -- but if we have control over them, it's at least reason for optimism.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » April 6th, 2016, 1:54 pm

huh
Towns!

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » April 6th, 2016, 2:14 pm

In the case of the Jos. A Bank location on Nicollet Mall, their sister store Men's Wearhouse is two blocks down the mall, so closing the Jos. A Bank location makes sense. Also, as has been mentioned, this is part of a wave closures by their parent company. About 250 stores are closing within the company.
Buildings, what buildings?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 6th, 2016, 2:21 pm

Even though Mens Warehouse and Jos A Bank are owned by the same company, they found out when one bought the other that there's actually very little overlap in clients, so that probably had little to do with this particular location.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » April 6th, 2016, 2:30 pm

Suburban malls continue to have both stores even after the merger, including EP, Roseville and Arbor Lakes. I haven't heard anything yet about closings in those locations, so I have to conclude this was a problem with this specific location.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 6th, 2016, 3:18 pm

Must've just had too much foot and bike traffic right outside their front doors. Or it they were upset that they had an interior entrance that you could get to via skyway...

But it could also be that it's going out of style and they're closing mass amounts of stores.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » April 7th, 2016, 7:26 am

I wonder how much Target loosening their dress code a while back affected sales of men's clothing downtown. Obviously it wouldn't have been their only driver of business, but I'm sure it contributed at least a bit.

seamonster
Nicollet Mall

Postby seamonster » April 7th, 2016, 9:09 am

I'm just going to throw this out there: I want a DSW downtown. Is that a pipe dream?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 7th, 2016, 9:23 am

I hope not. That would be awesome.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]