Cedar Avenue corridor - South Minneapolis

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
JT$
City Center

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby JT$ » April 12th, 2016, 1:19 pm

Most likely a passion of his. As friendly as he may be, blasting conservative talk radio can be a turn off when I'm just trying to get some popcorn.
I'm sure he would feel the same way about someone playing MPR in their business, his product is excellent especially the malts. Best in the city.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 12th, 2016, 1:49 pm

MPR isn't far left wing radio, but ok...

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 13th, 2016, 7:28 am

Grant, don't try and use facts to support your point - that's precisely what MPR does and precisely why they are left wing!
:roll: *satire*

the kid
Block E

Postby the kid » April 13th, 2016, 9:30 am

Grant, don't try and use facts to support your point - that's precisely what MPR does and precisely why they are left wing!
:roll: *satire*
That this is a widely held point of view in the urbanmsp echochamber is not suprising. Just disappointing. Devotees of Minneapolis development come in all stripes.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 13th, 2016, 10:05 am

Ok

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » April 13th, 2016, 11:18 am

And Bruce Springsteen should stop talking politics and sing "Born in the USA" again.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » April 13th, 2016, 11:29 am

I like comparing the political content of "conservative talk radio" to the political content of some of public radio's entertainment offerings. Both have an obvious political slant and seem to have about equal educational/news content.

The actual news content on Public Radio shouldn't really be compared to Rush Limbaugh or his cohorts. Even so, there is a known left slant to the NPR editorial board. Knowing that makes it easy enough to parse opinion from fact and in my experience NPR doesn't really try to confuse the two. I find the news content on NPR to be superior to any other radio news offerings, though I strongly dislike Kerri Miller. Ugh.

Full disclosure: Yes, I consider myself a liberal, but not a democrat. Yes, I donate to MPR.

Also, I have stopped going to small businesses that vocally support political measures I strongly disagreed with. I would not do so in the case of Tom's Popcorn if all he does is listen to talk radio in his store. I couldn't care much less what he listens to in there, but if he starts writing to editorial boards supporting measures as a "small business owner" that I oppose, I would drop him from my general "support local" shopping list.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 13th, 2016, 11:41 am

So, how about Cedar Ave?

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » April 13th, 2016, 12:05 pm

So, how about Cedar Ave?
It has too many cars moving too fast.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 13th, 2016, 12:10 pm

Isn't that the truth. We drove down it Monday afternoon from 28th to the Parkway. It had been a while and I'd forgotten how absolutely terrifying those four lane sections are. No wonder people treat everything south of 42nd like a freeway—just making it that far results in frayed nerves and a huge sigh of relief that you can finally gtfo.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

JT$
City Center

Postby JT$ » April 13th, 2016, 12:38 pm

Just an example, the point still stands. If whatever kind of radio a shopkeeper is listening to bothers you enough, simply stop shopping there. The market will sort it out if enough people feel it detracts from the product they sell.

Full disclosure: I listen to MPR every morning while I get ready for work.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 13th, 2016, 1:04 pm

Cedar is prime for three lane conversion from 26th St to 38th St, a hybrid cross section that preserves at least one side of parking.

winterfan
Metrodome

Postby winterfan » April 13th, 2016, 3:49 pm

So, how about Cedar Ave?
What is the etiquette regarding the drive-thru for the Caribou Coffee at Cedar and Minnehaha Pkwy? When the line extends into the street, why do cars park on Cedar Ave. to wait for the drive-thru line to move? Why not just park and walk in the store?

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 13th, 2016, 6:47 pm

People are not very smart :)
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 29th, 2016, 8:56 am

Rick Nelson's review of i.e. includes a snippet that an expansion is in the works. Unknown if this would be at their Cedar location (doubtful, but I'd love if they got more involved in redeveloping the block) or if it means a second outpost somewhere else (which I would guess would be far more likely).

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 29th, 2016, 9:24 am

When I read the article, I took it to be an expansion of their existing property. What's immediately to the north of them?

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » September 29th, 2016, 9:28 am

An ugly half-vacant strip mall/former gas station.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 29th, 2016, 10:33 am

An ugly half-vacant strip mall/former gas station.
There's actually an ugly half-vacant(?) house/commercial structure thingie between them and strip mall: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9174942 ... 312!8i6656

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 29th, 2016, 10:42 am

Yeah, that's the property I was wondering about. The aerial imagery seems to show storage for construction equipment.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 29th, 2016, 10:42 am

Both that and the gas station sold in the past 18 months. Unfortunately, it appears they did not sell to the same developer. Because it would have been great to combine those two parcels and build something far better over both of them.