Northside - News & General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Northside - General Topics

Postby seanrichardryan » February 25th, 2016, 11:46 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » February 26th, 2016, 10:25 am

Does the lack of access to the freeway that's already cutting through the neighborhood inflict any issues? Other than the goofy ramps at Broadway, there really isn't an interchange until all the way to Dowling.
Urbanist in the north woods

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 26th, 2016, 5:12 pm

Does the lack of access to the freeway that's already cutting through the neighborhood inflict any issues? Other than the goofy ramps at Broadway, there really isn't an interchange until all the way to Dowling.
With the west side more residential, I think no exits is actually a plus. On the east side to the river for commercial it would prove to be the other way around.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 21st, 2016, 1:18 pm

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » April 20th, 2016, 7:45 pm

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 20th, 2016, 8:42 pm

Wow. I can't believe the Strib actually printed that.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 20th, 2016, 10:13 pm

Gotta get those clicks from the Murderapolis crowd.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » April 20th, 2016, 11:00 pm

Sometimes I wonder where these people live. I bike through north on a daily basis (with my toddler and wife often). Go for walks. Take the bus occasionally. Rarely feel unsafe.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 21st, 2016, 6:44 am

Sometimes I wonder where these people live. I bike through north on a daily basis (with my toddler and wife often). Go for walks. Take the bus occasionally. Rarely feel unsafe.
I don't want to invade this person's privacy by being too specific, but it looks like this particular person lives near Folwell Park. Not the worst area, but then I guess it only takes one bad experience.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » April 21st, 2016, 7:28 am

The numbers don't lie though. When NoMi shootings are up 162% over this time last year, something is wrong, and this guy has a right to be mad about it. I prayed that we would never see those murderapolis shirts on sale again but we came close last year and we may just get there in 2016.

http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis- ... 375952531/

Anondson
IDS Center

Northside - General Topics

Postby Anondson » April 21st, 2016, 7:36 am

Minor point maybe not worth fussing about, but were they actually ever for purchase? Or were the shirts just given out by groups? Who made them and "sold" them? I find something about shirts like that being sold of particularly questionable taste ... Maybe depending on the group. I dunno. Not trying to detour the discussion over a throwaway comment.

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » April 21st, 2016, 7:46 am

Well, the writer of the article mentions much more than one bad experience, and presumably as a resident's opinion this piece was written in good faith and of the individual's own volition (i.e. this isn't quite the same as local news stations piecing together anecdotes and questionable data to invent a phony story line to fish for views). There appear to be other North residents that commented suggesting similar experiences, but that's obviously not representative.

I acknowledge I am starting to get a bit concerned, because there now seems to be a increasingly broad trend of anecdata aligning with actual data suggesting that the situation may be changing. Admittedly, that's just me recalling that as I've looked at the news since last summer I've wondered if crime is increasing far more frequently than at any point in probably 10 years or so. So not particularly meaningful, but definitely a thing that makes me go, "hmm..."

Crime is one of my 'pet issues', and I periodically will download the stats and have my own little database (just looking at the reports, or even the MinnPost app or other summary sources doesn't usually give enough context to draw any conclusions). I haven't done that since last summer. Will be interesting to see what the numbers look like next time I find the time to do so.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » April 21st, 2016, 8:44 am

What's changed is black people started protesting police violence, prompting certain groups to want to push back with a narrative that justifies continuing police violence.

That and an (historically) unusually warm winter/spring.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 21st, 2016, 8:48 am

I acknowledge that there are issues and this woman's experiences matter. However, phrases like "human vermin" are completely unacceptable. No one is "human vermin." Love and redemption are always possible. When someone has given up on that, they have given up on real solutions.

All this article does is perpetuate every bad stereotype about the Northside. This isn't going to cause people who've never visited to suddenly care. Just the opposite; they will turn their heads away in despair, indifference or haughty arrogance. This lady considers herself and _her_ "heart of the Northside" to be the only reasonable people that live there. "I lived in South Minneapolis so *I* know what a good neighborhood looks like," as if everyone that's been in North for years are dumbasses who either don't know what they're doing, don't care or are actively worsening the situation. It's a White Savior complex and it's white privilege on display.

Yeah, there are people that do really terrible things in North Minneapolis. But North Minneapolis is not a "war zone" and public officials have not abandoned it. Things are way, way more complicated than she wants them to be.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 21st, 2016, 8:58 am

I acknowledge that there are issues and this woman's experiences matter. However, phrases like "human vermin" are completely unacceptable. No one is "human vermin." Love and redemption are always possible. When someone has given up on that, they have given up on real solutions.
Eloquently put as ever.

There are a lot of problems with their piece. How do you read sentences like this--
Having been raised in south Minneapolis and having been a homeowner there for more than 15 years, I know what a good neighborhood looks like.
I remember what the air smells like when it is not clouded with the constant scent of “loud” that goes largely unchecked.
we are overrun and infested with human vermin
We have no peace with all of the boom cars.
--and not see a strong racial tinge in their complaints?
What's changed is black people started protesting police violence, prompting certain groups to want to push back with a narrative that justifies continuing police violence.

That and an (historically) unusually warm winter/spring.
This. It's also worth noting that even if there has been an actual organic rise in the crime rates, at worst it's a dead cat bounce. By any measure, this city is safer than it was even ten years ago.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » April 21st, 2016, 9:04 am

Ah crap, I can't find my rose tinted glasses and I want to write something about liberal white guilt or some other bullshit.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » April 21st, 2016, 9:10 am

Well put EOst and David and amiller.

But also hilarious that she used the term "loud" in the Star Tribune. I think that is probably a first.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 21st, 2016, 9:18 am

Is Mickey/Michelle Cook the person behind the ridiculously racist "North Mpls Crime Watch & Information" facebook page?

http://www.fox9.com/news/116169129-story
http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 130464.pdf

What David said above. I'm sickened the Strib would publish this. But I bet it sure got the clicks.

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » April 21st, 2016, 9:34 am

In the six years I've lived smack dab between Lowry and Broadway, just over on Queen, I haven't let fear run our lives. Yes, I have a security system, but I know that vast majority of violence in my neighborhood is targeted. Yes, homicides have occurred nearby, but ceding the sidewalks and parks or avoiding biking will not make the neighborhood safer.

I just don't see the end result of an ever larger police presence being the Shangri-la some dream of. Policing as its been practiced has not stopped crime from spreading. The gun crime problem needs holistic solutions. Instead they discount the need for transit investment, quality affordable housing, bike infrastructure, etc. These investments are necessary to foster a safer, healthier and equitable community.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 21st, 2016, 9:50 am

Thanks for that second article matt, don't know how that slipped past. This is particularly good:
While police say traffic issues aren't a growing problem in North Minneapolis, Ward 4 Councilwoman Barb Johnson disagrees.

“The police used to be able to tow your car if you do not have a driver's license or don't have insurance,” Johnson said. “They don't do that anymore.”
Because the solution to not having a driver's license or insurance (both and especially the latter usually because of $$$) is to stack an extra $150+ on top.