Eden Prairie - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
matthew5080
Rice Park

Eden Prairie - General Topics

Postby matthew5080 » April 20th, 2016, 2:17 pm

So I figured I'd start a thread for Eden Prairie.

The latest news is that the Excelsior Group bought the 7500 Flying Cloud Drive office building for $26 million.

Apparently it was last sold for $36 million in 2006.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... drive.html

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Eden Prairie - General Topics

Postby grant1simons2 » April 24th, 2016, 10:48 pm

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 24th, 2016, 11:38 pm

Digging a little deeper into the rabbit hole for a glimmer of urban hope in Eden Prairie, I find this amazing Capstone Paper

http://www2.hhh.umn.edu/uthinkcache/slp ... inal-1.pdf

If any of you guys are a part of Streets, I just want to say good job. It's seriously well done and thought it was put together by a whole firm while reading it.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 25th, 2016, 8:25 am

So, is this vision dead now?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 25th, 2016, 10:27 am

It could be, and probably is. Just awful timing since it was released in 07-09.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » April 25th, 2016, 5:21 pm

Well they implemented a zoning district based on it. It's a pretty good code, eliminating minimum lot areas and front yard setbacks, adding max setbacks and min stories. Search for "Table 3: Building Bulk & Dimension Standards for Town Center District" in this pdf:

http://www.edenprairie.org/home/showdocument?id=77

I'm not sure that they've actually rezoned any parcels to these districts though, so maybe you're right that it's dead. I think more likely they're waiting for SWLRT to do the rezoning, so it would more accurately be described as dormant. Further, some buildings in the Singletree area look like they may have been built with the design guidelines in mind, so maybe the plan is still alive in the hearts of planners.
"Who rescued whom!"

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 25th, 2016, 5:24 pm

They're starting to draft a TOD ordinance too. I think some city planners in Eden Prairie want to see the city start moving toward the direction that is stated in the plan, but they keep getting developers who just want to build 1 story Chick-Fil-A's and single family homes that destroy the bluffs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 26th, 2016, 9:22 pm

I DO like the housing development to the south/southwest of the airport, which has grid-like qualities, single family detached homes spaced closely together, sidewalks, and even alleys. I'd like to see more of this on a much greater scale.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 26th, 2016, 9:32 pm

mulad

Postby mulad » April 26th, 2016, 9:34 pm

The area by the airport is lacking any mixed use, though. I've also been really disappointed that the developer didn't put a whole lot of thought into how to expand. It's mostly podded off due to buildings put up at corners where you'd ordinarily want to see roads continue on.

It's probably a partial inspiration for my recent blog post series. Here's my latest one: http://hizeph400.blogspot.com/2016/04/g ... uburb.html

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » March 8th, 2017, 4:48 pm

I'm not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but Scheels is planning to move into the vacant Sears building attached to Eden Prairie Center.
Last fall, Sears vacated a 204,566-square-foot space and 18-acre parcel that was purchased from Sears Holdings by Eden Prairie Center’s owners.
According to the company, the space will be expanded to "build out the 240,000-square-foot retail destination." The new store is scheduled to open in fall 2019.
"There will be a world-class golf shop, bike shop, ski shop, canoe and kayak shop, and fishing shop. The gun and hunting shops will have the largest selection of guns in Minnesota, ranging from everyday shooters to modern sporting rifles and collectible firearms."

The site will also include other attractions such as a 16,000 gallon aquarium, a 65-foot, 16-car operating Ferris Wheel, photo opportunities, a wild life mountain, shooting galleries and laser shot shooting similators.
http://www.swnewsmedia.com/eden_prairie ... d15e7.html

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » March 11th, 2017, 5:13 pm

First Rochester, now Eden Prairie... Which Sears is next?
Urbanist in the north woods

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » June 14th, 2017, 4:33 pm

New apartment project proposed in Eden Prairie.
A Bloomington-based developer is planning a new $60 million development near SouthWest Station in Eden Prairie that would be a mix of apartments and retail.
The project calls for redeveloping the vacant Anchor Bank and former Ruby Tuesday and constructing a complex that includes 222 apartment units and about 13,000 square feet of mixed retail space.

There would be 2 1/2 levels of underground parking and a total of 400 total parking spaces with the underground and surface parking, said Ryan Sailer, Timberland Partners vice president of development.
The project recently received a $300,000 grant from Hennepin County that will help fund the underground parking and sustainability features such as bike racks and a green roof.

http://www.swnewsmedia.com/eden_prairie ... 6bb76.html

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 14th, 2017, 7:49 pm

I heard back Aprilish there was a TOD proposal on a lot near SW Station coming for 200ish units with maybe 15% affordable replacing vacant buildings. This sounds like it.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 26th, 2017, 4:34 pm

Metropolitan Council Invests in Job Growth, Development, and Housing Near Transit
https://metrocouncil.org/News-Events/Co ... evelo.aspx

Elevate, Eden Prairie - $750,000 to assist with site acquisition and preparation, and stormwater management, at a new mixed-use development at the planned SouthWest Station on the Green Line Extension. The project will be located between the rail corridor and the existing park-and-ride for SouthWest Transit. It will include market-rate and affordable housing, along with commercial space, an outdoor plaza, public art and connections to the regional trail system.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 6th, 2018, 4:34 pm

The former Sears space will be quite a thing.

https://finance-commerce.com/2018/03/ed ... ound-mall/

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » May 2nd, 2018, 9:23 pm

Metropolitan Council Invests in Job Growth, Development, and Housing Near Transit
https://metrocouncil.org/News-Events/Co ... evelo.aspx

Elevate, Eden Prairie - $750,000 to assist with site acquisition and preparation, and stormwater management, at a new mixed-use development at the planned SouthWest Station on the Green Line Extension. The project will be located between the rail corridor and the existing park-and-ride for SouthWest Transit. It will include market-rate and affordable housing, along with commercial space, an outdoor plaza, public art and connections to the regional trail system.
This appears to be under construction.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » October 24th, 2018, 4:21 pm

The old IHOP (previously Fudruckers) is being torn down. I believe they're going to build a hotel. Hopefully the hotel or whatever goes in there has more success than the restaurants. I worked at that IHOP when it opened in 2011 and there were a lot of slow weekends.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 25th, 2018, 2:55 pm

The old IHOP (previously Fudruckers) is being torn down. I believe they're going to build a hotel. Hopefully the hotel or whatever goes in there has more success than the restaurants. I worked at that IHOP when it opened in 2011 and there were a lot of slow weekends.
It's slated to be a Hampton Inn

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 26th, 2019, 6:01 pm

The large former G.E. Fleet Management, now called Element, is relocating to Excelsior Crossing in Hopkins.

Opening up 40 acres for redevelopment just east of Eden Prairie Center, along Anderson Lake.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... -eden.html

Could be a big opportunity.