The Green on 4th - 2901 4th Street SE

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
twincitizen

Re: Prospect Park Station - (2901 Fourth Street Southeast)

Postby twincitizen » May 21st, 2014, 7:49 am

This parcel of land has been fenced off for some time now, and more recently has had some construction supplies stored on it (perhaps for the Surley site or Habitat for Humanity site across the street).
Now at the west end of it I noticed that there are garden plots going in for an urban garden. I guess this project won't be launching for a while, which is too bad, it's such a great site just a stones throw from the prospect park green line platform.
Anybody have any intel on this?
Cornerstone Group takes forever to do anything, is what I keep hearing. They rely so heavily on cleanup grants, other grants, and cobbled-together funding sources, to the point that interest rates change and their original pro-forma no longer works. On the other hand, their projects often turn out really nicely when they do eventually get built. See Kensington Park at Lyndale & 76th in Richfield for a surprisingly dense, upscale, mixed-use condo project in an unexpected location.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Cornerstone Prospect Park Development - 2901 4th Street

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 1st, 2015, 12:31 pm

http://m.bizjournals.com/twincities/blo ... rsity.html

Looks like it's back, and promising!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 3rd, 2015, 8:47 am

Nope, that's a different site altogether: https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3862

Given Cornerstone's inability to get anything developed in a reasonable time frame, I expect that other project to go up first. Cornerstone will have to come up with a new name for their development, as the other one looks to be taking the "Prospect Park Station" name

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 3rd, 2015, 9:02 am

I'm pretty sure these are the same sites. 2901 and 2929 University would both be on the same block, and this is a full block redevelopment. Not sure if Cornerstone sold off their redevelopment rights, or just brought in a deep-pocketed partner.

EDIT: Sorry, realizing that this is the 4th Street site. But I'm pretty sure that the University site was also originally included in Cornerstone's big vision for this area.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 3rd, 2015, 6:47 pm

This Cornerstone property is north of 4th St...so separated by an existing public street from the Uni site. Wouldn't be surprised though if the Uni site was included in earlier "big vision" sketches of the area

nerdljos
City Center

Re: Cornerstone Prospect Park Development - 2901 4th Street SE

Postby nerdljos » May 4th, 2016, 10:13 pm

Let me preface this with "I'm new here", to the neighborhood and somewhat to urbanmsp/streets forum (long-time lurker, more recent poster, etc.)

This project has evolved somewhat beyond previous commentary here, and they're now calling it Prospect North Gardens. Looks like they're suggesting a 6 storey building on half the parcel, and continued use of the western half closer to the station as gardens and a park. There is currently a community garden there, and people still intend to grow things in it this summer as long as construction doesn't disturb it too much.

Separate of this, it looks like there is some discussion in the works about rebuilding the abysmal moonscape of 4th completely, into a woonerf (source: this streets.mn post). This would be great, because it would give Rise some needed help on the north side.

Currently searching around for official city documents about either of these to see whether Prospect North Gardens have reached officialdom yet.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » May 5th, 2016, 6:33 am

This is awesome! I happen to be over in that area last night, here are some pictures. ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » May 5th, 2016, 8:47 am

So if they are bull dozing and excavating on the site now, does that mean that construction is imminent? I looked at their website and didn't see any specific dates. This prospect park LRT station is going from zero to amazing in just a few years.

DanB
Metrodome

Postby DanB » May 5th, 2016, 9:03 am

I don't remember the building design being approved by the planning commission, has it?

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » May 5th, 2016, 9:08 am

Thats what i was thinking. I dont remember it being approved either.

nerdljos
City Center

Postby nerdljos » May 5th, 2016, 9:32 am

Yeah, this is correct-- nothing has been submitted also. Dug around rather heavily through public documents on the city website last night, for both this and the street reconstruction and even Aeon, and nothing is submitted or official enough to find outside of mentions of funding allocation.

These also aren't listed on pp2020.org yet.

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » May 5th, 2016, 10:01 am

so for now just digging up old fuel tanks

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 5th, 2016, 10:19 am

Cornerstone is a confoundingly slow developer. Part of that is because they are very small. Another part is because they try to make every project be all things to everyone. And they rely heavily on Met Council & local grants for cleanup & site preparation, quasi-public spaces/art, etc. This draws out the project timelines much longer than what we're used to...to the point that their projects can collapse under their own weight, changing markets, etc.

Interesting that they now have two long-delayed projects carrying the "gardens" moniker: http://www.lyndalegardens.com/

nerdljos
City Center

Re: Prospect North Gardens - 2901 4th Street SE (Cornerstone development)

Postby nerdljos » May 5th, 2016, 11:25 am

I wonder where exactly they're at, or what they need to move forward with this project? Fairly certain the neighborhood supports it, so that's no problem, their list of partners on the website is pretty lengthy, and public documents show they've been getting money. Still waiting to finalize a proposal for submission?

There's also Aeon next door, and potential plans to reconstruct 4th in some bold way, would be cool if these all could happen simultaneously. If so, this whole area could look vastly different in a short amount of time.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 5th, 2016, 11:33 am

Maybe it's just site cleanup? I mean this was former industrial, the site probably has been polluted over years.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » May 5th, 2016, 11:54 am

Thats what a few of the people working in the garden told me last night.

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » May 5th, 2016, 8:10 pm

The website was so vague that I sent an email asking for a timeline on the project. The response I got was "we have decided to sell the land instead of build on it ourselves".

nerdljos
City Center

Postby nerdljos » May 5th, 2016, 10:53 pm

Ugh, great. Hope someone else willing to buy and actually build is kicking around ideas there.

Also have heard that the potential Aeon site just to the east needs some soil cleanup before anything can happen there as well.

DanB
Metrodome

Postby DanB » May 5th, 2016, 11:19 pm

I was told a few months ago by someone on the Prospect Park zoning committee that Aeon needs a HUD grant before moving forward and was not chosen in the last round of funding and so is in a holding pattern until it can get a grant. As far as the 2901 4th Street site is concerned I'd imagine (or at least hope) that once Rise gets built it will move quickly, assuming there isn't another recession.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » July 28th, 2016, 2:25 pm

Current action on the site turns out to be for this:
http://mwmo.org/projects/green-fourth-u ... er-system/