Alia Tower - 200 Central - 483' / 40 Stories

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Alatus St. Anthony Tower (Washburn-McReavy Site)

Postby amiller92 » May 5th, 2016, 11:27 am

1. Does the concept of a historic district have value? That is, is it enough to just preserve the important historic buildings, or do we also need to control the new construction around them in order to give them a sympathetic setting?
There is definitely more than could be written, but I'm not sure I'm qualified or have thought enough about it to write it.

Because I would say I get the desire to declare a district where there is a high-concentration of what would otherwise be preserved individually anyway. Like, maybe the Warehouse District makes sense.

But then again, I'm not really sure why what's next to a given warehouse matters. If they's not a high enough concentration of actual historic buildings to retain the overall historic tone, then what does the district actually accomplish anyway? If there are, why does the occasional non-conforming building matter? And does building something new as a faux-replica really help?
2. Should this site be in the historic district? This seems to be the stronger argument, and the article lays out a pretty convincing case that it shouldn't be, but never actually says that the problem is that the historic district boundaries were drawn incorrectly.
I think this is the crux of the question, but I can't say it was drawn incorrectly, because I don't know what the thinking was at the time. What I do know is that how things stand now, it doesn't make much sense to include this block.

Where I would go farther today than when I was writing yesterday is to say this: these district guidelines are worthless if they allow the suburban-style townhouses across the street. A broken street grid and cloistered private homes do far more damage to the historical fabric of the area than would a tower on a quarter-block.
Last edited by amiller92 on May 5th, 2016, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » May 5th, 2016, 11:28 am

If it were up to me, I'd happily trade this (and probably a number of other blocks in the district) for protection of some gems like the Aveda (Masonic) building and some coverage north of University, where there is actually some historic fabric left.
Agreed!

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » May 11th, 2016, 6:16 am

still working on the model...

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 11th, 2016, 7:36 am

Looking good!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 11th, 2016, 11:05 am

Not actually related to this building, but the adjacent ramp is getting some very, very minor cosmetic updates: http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 179844.pdf

This more or less confirms that the "Rampton" project is truly dead, or at least on long-term hold, otherwise they wouldn't be proposing these changes right now.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » May 11th, 2016, 11:22 am

So, has this been appealed yet? A 10 day deadline means this has to be filed by Friday.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » May 13th, 2016, 8:42 am

Update: Per Jacob Frey, an appeal was submitted and this will go to Z&P.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 13th, 2016, 11:24 am

I wasn't too concerned, since I figured they had too much invested in the project to walk away that easily, but it's good to have confirmation.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » May 13th, 2016, 6:18 pm

My gut is that this goes thru as planned.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 16th, 2016, 12:59 pm

Unanimously. Not saying there won't be changes suggested or required as a condition of approval, but all indications are that Frey (strongly) supports the project. It would be highly unusual for anyone else to vote against it unless as part of some kind of weird protest vote. My money is on unanimous approval.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » May 16th, 2016, 3:43 pm

Mpls. City Council should approve proposed 40-story condo tower
http://www.startribune.com/mpls-city-co ... 379462961/

Editorial Board.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 19th, 2016, 3:23 pm

http://finance-commerce.com/2016/05/ala ... ndo-tower/

Mark your calendars, kids!
Alatus' appeal of the HPC denial will be heard at the June 9 meeting of the City Council's Zoning & Planning Committee.
Even though many of us predict that the appeal will be granted (unanimously even), I do think this is one of those rare cases where it would be useful for "YIMBY" types to show up and testify in support of the project. Even if there is strong support for the project on the City Council, it would be good to provide "political cover" for Lisa Bender and Jacob Frey (etc), just to show the public that there is, in fact, broad support for the project.

Anton
Block E

Postby Anton » June 6th, 2016, 10:36 am

If you're too busy to testify, at least send an email to the members of the Zoning and Planning Committee. Too busy to write your own email too? I've got you covered!

http://www.mspyimby.com/alatus-towers/

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 6th, 2016, 12:36 pm

Word is that East Bank livability (the group with the petition) is going to appeal the decision to go ahead and demo the structures on site. So this is going to be a very interesting meeting.

Anton
Block E

Postby Anton » June 6th, 2016, 1:17 pm

So their goal is just to drag this out as long as possible? Will that appeal be filed before the June 9 Z+P meeting?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 6th, 2016, 1:23 pm

They can demo today if they want, right?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 6th, 2016, 3:44 pm

Yes, same date according to the Marcy Holmes items of interest

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 6th, 2016, 7:43 pm

Appeal statement made by Alatus:

http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 181066.pdf

Appeal statement for East Bank livability:

http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 181075.pdf

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 6th, 2016, 9:46 pm

Condition 9: The color and finishes of the proposed exterior wall materials shall be similar to that seen historically in the context. Specifically, very light and very dark colors shall be avoided, contrast between material colors shall be reduced, the contrast between brick and mortar shall be more subtle, and sheen shall be minimized to the extent practical.

Response to Condition 9: We request to have this condition eliminated. The proposed building design is contemporary and does not attempt to mimic historic buildings in the district. The design intent is to create a layer of details that help craft the building skin. The contrasting colors provide juxtaposition from the podium to the tower, and we feel that having contrast between materials will help to reinforce the design concept and show off its details. Finally, the historic district has many instances of lighter colored materials adjacent to darker colored materials and vice versa (e.g. the Red Clay Tile elevator next to the Pillsbury A- Mill).
Counterpoint: The black on the podium makes it look cheap.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » June 7th, 2016, 5:05 pm

There are some updated renderings on www.tcyimby.com and the TCYIMBY Instagram page showing the updated renderings. Some of the changes include more units on 3rd, better texture of the limestone, and better quality facade on the back side with more windows. All items that the CPED staff recommended.