Bicycle Infrastructure

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
SkyScraperKid

Re: Bicycle Infrastructure

Postby SkyScraperKid » June 16th, 2016, 7:07 am

Wwwwhat?
Under the department’s reading of city and state codes, while it’s illegal to drive into or out of the bike lane, once a driver is in one, there is no law that makes it illegal to leave the vehicle there.
Wouldn't that mean they are STILL in violation because they LITERALLY "driven into a bike lane" should be ticketed and then subject to a tow. smh... no new law should need be added unless it's not legal to tow a car that has gotten a ticket. idk...

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 16th, 2016, 11:31 am

No authority? So it's illegal to drive in the bike lane. Use the Intermediate Value Theorem. At some point the car must have been moving in the bike lane. Cite 'em. Go to court with a fundamental property of the universe as your proof.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 16th, 2016, 11:48 am

Yeah, I'm certain that they could devise reasons to ticket people if they actually wanted to. This story could be better retitled "Richmond cops decide that they don't want to ticket people parked in bike lanes."

cond8147
Block E

Postby cond8147 » June 17th, 2016, 9:32 pm

Officers need to personally witness the violation to issue a citation for petty misdemeanor offenses. So... unless they see the driving in the seconds leading up to the parking, an officer simply cannot cite by law. If state law (or city ordinance) there doesn't prohibit parking in a bike lane and there are no 'No Parking' signs, then it is not possible to issue citations for just the parking. There would need to be a change of state law or city ordinance..... or the obvious choice of 'No Parking' signs installed.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » June 19th, 2016, 11:13 pm

The Cedar Lake Trail through downtown has reopened 10+ days ahead of schedule. Hooray!

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » July 2nd, 2016, 8:14 am

A two-way bike trail has been striped along the old alignment of 5th Street south of the new stadium. Right now it's cut off at the west end because of the plaza still being under construction, but it will eventually connect over to the two-way trail being created along the south side of the commons.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 10th, 2016, 5:15 pm

Maybe this is old news, but the demo street café set up in front of the Loon for Open Streets today said that 1st Ave will be restriped to a more normal configuration with the parking next to the curb in July, allowing for street cafés starting in August. So that's great, though it's unfortunate (for me) that it'll happen right as I stop biking 1st on a daily basis.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 11th, 2016, 9:06 am

Question: Part of the "appeal" of the 1st Ave N striping configuration was that the parking lanes could be 'no parking' and serve as additional travel lanes during peak hours. If the parking and bike lanes are flipped, won't that eliminate the opportunity of 1st Ave N to become quasi-four-lanes at times? Not that I'm complaining.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 11th, 2016, 9:54 am

Huh. I hadn't thought of that, but, yeah, that's right. That'll cause some angry Strib comments.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » July 11th, 2016, 11:03 am

Huh. I hadn't thought of that, but, yeah, that's right. That'll cause some angry Strib comments.

Everything causes angry Strib comments. Perhaps acknowledging that not every street should be designed for maximum car throughput and should instead have parking and vibrant street fronting businesses is a good thing.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 11th, 2016, 11:20 am

Anything that causes angry Strib comments from suburbanites is a good thing in my book.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 11th, 2016, 3:55 pm

Update: The 1st Ave restriping is happening this week, as studies indicate that traffic volumes no longer require the second lane in each direction, even at peak.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 13th, 2016, 12:35 pm

With our support, Hennepin County has applied for a $650k federal grant to improve accessibility along the 46th St corridor... things like ADA ramps, APS at signals that need it, and some refuge median / RRFB work. This won't happen as part of the mill and overlay project in September, but it's being planned as part of the same workstream for a future year.

I bring this up because I saw the Cedar/Mhaha/Franklin thread, and thought about how there's money to stand up for 10% local matches for things like this. While $65k isn't $300k, and it's a commitment for a future year rather than a payout to a contractor this year, it still makes me scratch my head a little. I guess that's how the sausage is made.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 21st, 2016, 7:20 pm

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » August 22nd, 2016, 8:57 am

With our support, Hennepin County has applied for a $650k federal grant to improve accessibility along the 46th St corridor... things like ADA ramps, APS at signals that need it, and some refuge median / RRFB work. This won't happen as part of the mill and overlay project in September, but it's being planned as part of the same workstream for a future year.

I bring this up because I saw the Cedar/Mhaha/Franklin thread, and thought about how there's money to stand up for 10% local matches for things like this. While $65k isn't $300k, and it's a commitment for a future year rather than a payout to a contractor this year, it still makes me scratch my head a little. I guess that's how the sausage is made.
Great news. Just an observation from me but cars turning at 46th and Portland seem to take the corners pretty fast, I hear tire squeaks and squeals frequently, especially during rush hour. I think bollards added at the corners after the mill and overlay could give pedestrians a bit of a buffer and force drivers to slow down a bit. I've seen a few of these over on 38th street between Nicollet and 4th Avenue and they seem to work pretty well. I emailed CM Glidden about it and she seemed to agree with me.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » August 22nd, 2016, 11:01 am

Bike lane striped on Nicollet between roughly 60th (that I've observed directly) and down past 46th (that I've observed directly) - maybe more in each direction.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 22nd, 2016, 11:02 am

This wasn't discussed as part of the plan, but I think there could be a rather significant bumpout at Park and 46th. Right now it is approximately 60 feet curb to curb, the "standard" Park/Portland width which once hosted three traffic lanes, two parking lanes, and a bike lane. In reality, this entrance only needs to be about 20 feet wide, for a single traffic lane and a bike lane. Whether entering One Way Park from further south on Park, or either direction on 46th, there is only one lane to make those moves. After a bumpout, it could widen out to the full width.

Also, Nicollet is marked for zebra stripes at many intersections.

zlkahn
Metrodome

Postby zlkahn » August 22nd, 2016, 12:42 pm

Bike lane striped on Nicollet between roughly 60th (that I've observed directly) and down past 46th (that I've observed directly) - maybe more in each direction.
I believe this will extend down to 40th, where the Blaisdell protected bike lane will end. Striping was removed on Blaisdell Ave S from 31st-40th last week and the new protected bikeway (and removal of one traffic lane) will be added this week.

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/bicycles/p ... MSP-171550

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » August 22nd, 2016, 2:19 pm

Sitting outside at the Lowbrow last Thursday (waiting for a table at Revival), it looks like there were markings for a future bike lane, so that's at least the 4200 block. Definitely saw them father north on my ride down, but couldn't tell you where they started.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 22nd, 2016, 2:20 pm

It's going to be from 40th to 61st, they're just moving from north to south.

Also, they need to change some signage as I saw plenty of cars parked in the new bike lane near the Minnehaha Creek bridge.