U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Re: U.S. Bank Stadium Construction Updates

Postby Mdcastle » July 27th, 2016, 7:57 am

How does it affect restroom efficiency if the people like me that won't use troughs use stalls instead?

And we destroyed a structurally sound stadium to build three new ones and we're worried about the environmental impact of batteries in the flushers?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 27th, 2016, 8:11 am

And we destroyed a structurally sound stadium to build three new ones and we're worried about the environmental impact of batteries in the flushers?
Exactly. Or, even if you want to ignore the construction of the stadiums and just consider operating impact, the environmental impact of not bothering with composting the paper towels far outweighs that of replacing a bunch of batteries every five years or so.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 27th, 2016, 9:26 am

No auto flushes means those who choose may abide by the 'If it's yellow let it mellow' rule.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » July 27th, 2016, 11:10 am

No auto flushes means those who choose may abide by the 'If it's yellow let it mellow' rule.
True, and lets be honest... The actual toilets just eventually become urinals that waste more water than regular urinals. Hopefully they installed dual flush handles (up for pee, down for poo). I pity the man that has to take a dump at a sporting event or a bar after 10:30pm.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » July 27th, 2016, 12:17 pm

They are putting fences back up near 4th and Chicago.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

FranklinAveFixation
Metrodome

Postby FranklinAveFixation » July 27th, 2016, 1:02 pm

True, and lets be honest... The actual toilets just eventually become urinals that waste more water than regular urinals. Hopefully they installed dual flush handles (up for pee, down for poo). I pity the man that has to take a dump at a sporting event or a bar after 10:30pm.
My experience with auto-flushers is that they are to quick to the trigger. They go off when I'm going in for the wipe, then I have a bunch of used TP floating in the bowl and am standing there waving my hand in front of the sensor trying to get it to flush again (and it never will).

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » July 27th, 2016, 4:05 pm

Man, this thread has really gone down the toilet...

:lol:

Carson Dyle
City Center

Postby Carson Dyle » July 27th, 2016, 4:22 pm

Anyone know how many seats they're selling for the Luke Bryan concert and the Metallica concert?

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 4th, 2016, 12:37 am

Probably need to rename this thread now that construction is over.

Anyone else go to the game tonight? Any impressions?

Thought the stadium was great, but they've got some major traffic issues to take care of inside the building: concessions were major bottlenecks in the concourses and bathrooms were sometimes hidden and are laid out in a way that didn't work well (not to mention the lines there - plenty of people grumbling that they'd rather have troughs).

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as this was the first major event and it was packed to the gills. Overall, still a really positive experience.

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mcgizz » August 4th, 2016, 5:47 am

The air conditioning inside the stadium had a real test today and it was glorious. Everyone inside was commenting on how awesome it was. The bathroom lines were really bad. It took way too long to go. I heard some food vendors ran out of food which seems strange. It was also really hard to find good beer and when I did it was a line of 50 people long. I did not know this but Rusty Taco is a vendor at the new stadium so naturally I had to go there for food. It took an obscene amount of time to get food there. They were really busy, probably because they had one of the best food options on the third tier.

Overall the experience was good. The stadium was nice, but I do agree that traffic inside the stadium was less than good.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » August 4th, 2016, 6:55 am

Halftime was the one chance to hit concessions and restrooms without missing anything (unlike an NFL game, which has multiple breaks in action). At the half it seemed like 64,000 people decided to relieve themselves and/or get a snack all at once. So the lines got a bit long. But other than that minor crowding issue, and maybe some excess security outside, the whole event was brilliant. Fantastic ambience, great sightlines (even from my crappy seats), and pretty good acoustics for a massive space.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 4th, 2016, 7:58 am

Halftime was the one chance to hit concessions and restrooms without missing anything (unlike an NFL game, which has multiple breaks in action).
It will be exactly the same for NFL games.
Towns!

Yourpalborno
City Center

Postby Yourpalborno » August 4th, 2016, 8:02 am

I didn't go to the match last night but passed by on my way home from work and noticed a massive amount of chain-link fencing surrounding the stadium forcing people into security lines and eliminating any good usage of the massive concrete plaza. Seems like really poor planning especially when compared to how Target Field does security. Can anyone who attended comment on the fencing? Is it needed or could they have designed the plaza to better manage security?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 4th, 2016, 8:29 am

Overall the night went smoothly for being the first time 64,000 people came into the building.

It's an impressive building inside, with much more of a vertical setup than the Metrodome. The stadium also lived up to its billing for natural light, especially in the main bowl and on the south concourse. At the end of the day it's a football stadium, so it's not quite as interesting as Target Field, but compared to other NFL stadiums I'd say it's going to be one of the better ones.

I'm hesitant to dwell too much on any issues from last night, because it was the first real event and everybody had to take an obligatory loop to look around. The concession stands seemingly weren't running at full capacity — most offered one or two food items and a lot of drinks — and as some have mentioned, food and beer ran temporarily ran out at times. Some of the stands were also either undermanned or not quite efficiently running yet, too. But those types of things will obviously be fixed. One other theme I noticed was a lack of pretty much any vegetarian food options. It was basically cheese pizza or a pretzel.

As others have mentioned, there were some choke points around the main concourse, usually because concession lines were backing up or because a group of people stopped in the middle of nowhere to talk. More fundamentally, though, it will be interesting to see how circulation at the main west entrance works out once people no longer have to gawk. The potential concern is that so many people come into that entrance, including the people sitting in the upper decks, so the main-level corridors have the potential to get more overloaded than usual. Before the game it seemed everybody was walking around the main level, so I was curious if the 300-level concession lines were much shorter. Anyone know?

Outside the stadium, a ton of people took LRT to the games, and it would have been a nightmare without the pedestrian bridge. But even still, the LRT lines after the game were really backed up. And before the game, as other mentioned, it was kind of a maze to get around the plaza to the security areas. More space for non-security stuff would be nice.

And finally, while the ped bridge is definitely needed in the current setup, it's really clear that the current setup is pretty bad. Funneling thousands of people onto two train lines via a shared platform doesn't work well, and the existing infrastructure really divides the Commons from the train station and the stadium in general. I'm talking about the aqueduct and the train lines in general and the big cement entrance to the underground ramp, etc. In a perfect world the blue and green lines would be separated, and maybe the station would even be farther from the stadium. But it's hard to envision significant significant changes any time soon.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 4th, 2016, 8:30 am

Halftime was the one chance to hit concessions and restrooms without missing anything (unlike an NFL game, which has multiple breaks in action).
It will be exactly the same for NFL games.
To some extent, but the halftime rush for concessions is much more extreme at a soccer game.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » August 4th, 2016, 8:46 am

To some extent, but the halftime rush for concessions is much more extreme at a soccer game.
Yep. And the soccer halftime bathroom rush is MUCH more extreme. Football affords fans dozens of urinal opportunities throughout the course of a game.

VikingFaninMaryland
Nicollet Mall

Postby VikingFaninMaryland » August 4th, 2016, 8:59 am

Also, I think they will have to put down the floor barrier and on top of that the soccer pitch (real field turf).
That's what I assumed. The football field would be a poor surface for soccer. Plus, aren't the field markings permanent on the Vikings field?
Its not that its a poor surface. The stadium turf can support a soccer. Its that the European league standard is natural pitch.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 4th, 2016, 9:05 am

FYI the vikings went with a very fast surface for their turf. Not Fifa rated turf and likely quite bad for soccer.
Towns!

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 4th, 2016, 9:06 am

On the positive side the pitch played really well last night for being sod. That's often a shit show and they nailed it on the first try.
Towns!

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » August 4th, 2016, 10:24 am

Anyone know what's going to happen with the grass now that the event is over? It'd be a shame if it all hit the compost pile.