Nic on Fifth - (290' - 26 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby mnmike » December 4th, 2012, 7:59 pm

Oh yeah, they have changed the top too...I am afraid this is going to look more like Skyscape. I hope not. The top was kinda the only thing that made it interesting.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 4th, 2012, 9:26 pm

Oh yeah, they have changed the top too...I am afraid this is going to look more like Skyscape. I hope not. The top was kinda the only thing that made it interesting.

It was only interesting when up-lit in the perspective view they released, otherwise it was just as underdesigned as the top of the Ivy.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » December 4th, 2012, 11:24 pm

Is the skyway missing from the new render?

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » December 5th, 2012, 2:29 am

Wow. This site should be getting something so much better. Instead it's getting an updated version of Skyscape. I'm really disappointed and even a bit pi$$ed that this project is going through. What is with our local design firms?

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » December 5th, 2012, 7:12 am

new rendering but same view. what does the building look like on the other side? and I'd like to see a day time perspective, not this romanticized dusk coloring. what is this building going to look on a drab winter day. that's important in this city.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 5th, 2012, 8:47 am

I'm fine with this project... but I am wondering about the missing skyway...

Maybe this will create demand for the surface lot across from the library. I wonder how a taller tower on that block would look from different skyline angles.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » December 5th, 2012, 9:15 am

I have never been thrilled with the design, but I am far from disappointed that the block getting this development. This block sat empty through the last office boom, hotel boom, and condo boom. I have no doubt it would have sat empty much longer...it seems to be cursed. As for the skyway, it has always been an afterthought from the beggining. If I remember correctly, I think they said they were designing it with the intention of a skyway, but weren't sure about how it was going to get financed or something like that from the first meetings.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 5th, 2012, 9:28 am

I thought the major barrier to entry for this block was that it was owned by multiple owners (or at least, just one owner who was waiting for the perfect moment to sell and wouldn't sell for anything less than optimal prices).

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » December 5th, 2012, 10:12 am

new rendering but same view. what does the building look like on the other side? and I'd like to see a day time perspective, not this romanticized dusk coloring. what is this building going to look on a drab winter day. that's important in this city.
Crap. That's a good point. The newly-underdesigned rooftop plus the potential reality of what this will look like without the dusk/nightime glow is hitting me like a ton of bricks. Like everyone else I was disappointed about the height reduction but still thrilled a quality residential highrise was going up in the core. I'm still holding out hope Opus will deliver something attractive but I'm no longer so sure.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » December 5th, 2012, 12:35 pm

It looks to me like they have added more color towards the street level and the crown doesn't look as awkward to me. The only disappointment to me is that the updated picture with the Xcel building next door really makes this building look a lot smaller. I understand the difference between commercial floor heights versus residential floor heights, but it almost looks like different scales.
Still glad to see this block with something on it; much better than what is there presently!

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » December 5th, 2012, 1:48 pm

yes you're right. it's so cool to go by that block and finally see construction fencing up and that surface parking being removed by bulldozers. i think north nicollet will be great if planners can find a way to provide a better connection to the river.

ace
Block E

Postby ace » December 5th, 2012, 2:57 pm

People on this site suck ass at posting pictures

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » December 5th, 2012, 3:12 pm

ooh! shiny!

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » December 5th, 2012, 4:01 pm

Phorio reports this building as 287.6 feet in height. For those unfamiliar w/ Phorio, think of it as the new Emporis. I know some folks involved on that site, the information is very detailed and reliable.

http://en.phorio.com/nic_on_fifth,_minn ... ted_states

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 5th, 2012, 4:12 pm

Imagine the Melrose in stadium village, thrice as high!
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

robotlollipop
Metrodome

Postby robotlollipop » December 5th, 2012, 5:17 pm

Crap. That's a good point. The newly-underdesigned rooftop plus the potential reality of what this will look like without the dusk/nightime glow is hitting me like a ton of bricks. Like everyone else I was disappointed about the height reduction but still thrilled a quality residential highrise was going up in the core. I'm still holding out hope Opus will deliver something attractive but I'm no longer so sure.
Am I missing something? You can barely see the rooftop, how can you tell that it is underdesigned?

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » December 5th, 2012, 5:29 pm

This is where I differ from everyone here. THIS IS INFILl.

The North Korean apartments we're building are just disasters.

Note: this is NICE infill.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » December 5th, 2012, 6:47 pm

Odd that you would say that. I agree this is good infill, and the density is great, but I think the design is pretty blah, even when compared to a lot of the 6 story infill projects. Hopefully it is just bad renderings.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 5th, 2012, 7:28 pm

Well this makes my day! ha ha ha. The reduction in height and floors was a mistake. The original 34 story proposal with the cantilevered crown was a much better design. The new crown actually looks better for the building's shorter height in some ways. But the big problem is there is no clear architectural relationship formed between the base and the crown.The top looks like an afterthought with no vertical carry through with the forms, color, or geometry of the base and shaft. I'm afraid this is probably ESG's first high rise design and their lack of experience shows. On the positive side ,I think the street level is great and works well with the intersection. They did a good job here and I think that almost makes up for the awkwardness above it.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » December 5th, 2012, 9:57 pm

Only in Minneapolis can a McDonald's get smashed down, immediately followed by a base-to-crown tower dissertation.