The Commons - Downtown East Park

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Re: The Commons - Downtown East Park

Postby amiller92 » August 19th, 2016, 12:31 pm

That's a fair point, EOst, although the concern is that it will be worse than deserted, and instead scary/dangerous in the off hours.

Also, I don't see greenspace as much of a goal in it's own right. There's actually quite a bit of greening around downtown, and there are parks all around its perimeter. If we're going to give over space for an urban park, I'd really like it to be an active one. So far, it doesn't look like that's what we're getting. Maybe they'll find some money to make it that in the future.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » August 19th, 2016, 12:50 pm

Initially the first phase was only going to be green space...we ended up with a lot more than that. I think the future phases probably won't be completed as planned, but we will see additions/changes as the park ages.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 19th, 2016, 1:04 pm

There should be an amazing children's playground and/or spray ground....it'd attract families from all over. They have this amazing children's park in downtown Chicago and something like that -- albeit at a smaller scale -- would be a great fit here. The one in Chicago may be the best free playground I've ever seen (up there with or better than Chutes & Ladders in Bloomington)!

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » August 19th, 2016, 1:15 pm

Plenty of neighborhood parks are semi-deserted on any given day.

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » August 19th, 2016, 1:40 pm

My wife and I had a picnic at the Commons on Sunday, and there were several people there playing frisbee, waking their dogs, playing in the water feature, etc.

I don't worry about no one using the park.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » August 19th, 2016, 1:58 pm

Initially the first phase was only going to be green space...we ended up with a lot more than that. I think the future phases probably won't be completed as planned, but we will see additions/changes as the park ages.
Agreed. IMO, there's no amount of money, studies, or algorithms factoring workforce vs. sports fans vs. residents vs. tourists which will truly flesh out the usage of this park. I think we've hit the ground running with a great start to this park and there's still some time needed for that organic x-factor to reveal the tweaks and future direction and programming.

KML_1981
Nicollet Mall

Postby KML_1981 » August 19th, 2016, 2:25 pm

Don't forget movies, concerts, etc.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 22nd, 2016, 12:15 am

That's a fair point, EOst, although the concern is that it will be worse than deserted, and instead scary/dangerous in the off hours.
Urbanists often seem to have a strong fear of the unprogrammed green space in a city. It seems that unprogrammed = empty = dangerous. The trope about the dangerous city should stay in the suburban playbook - not the urbanists. We talk up urbanity's ability to randomly bring people together simply because they're rubbing shoulders as they ride the bus or as they're walking down the street doing errands. Why are parks different?

I can say that almost none of my time spent in a park is programmed. It's to putting down a blanket and having a picnic with friends. It's eating ice cream on a bench as I admire downtown. It's getting outside to enjoy the weather. Sometimes these parks are empty except for me (and perhaps friends). And that doesn't make them dangerous. Green space in the middle of a place filled with concrete and asphalt and steel can have value in itself.

(And, of course, this thread and many others have plenty of griping about programmed events that will happen at this very park).

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » August 22nd, 2016, 6:18 am

I happened to walk around the park the other day. I think the park will end up working out great. As long as it doesn't have substantial parts that are completely dark at night. Well I don't think that light is a major deterrent to unlawful behavior, I think it definitely plays a role. During the winter, I really hope to see an ice skating rink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » August 22nd, 2016, 8:38 am

Wonder if they'll host the Christmas market there this winter?

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » August 22nd, 2016, 10:43 am

They absolutely should.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 22nd, 2016, 10:57 am

(-)-1. I liked the idea of it being in Loring Park last year, but the reality was a sloppy mess.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

uncle phil
Metrodome

Postby uncle phil » August 23rd, 2016, 4:03 pm

There should be an amazing children's playground and/or spray ground....it'd attract families from all over. They have this amazing children's park in downtown Chicago and something like that -- albeit at a smaller scale -- would be a great fit here. The one in Chicago may be the best free playground I've ever seen (up there with or better than Chutes & Ladders in Bloomington)!
Cincinnati's redeveloped riverfront also has an amazing park area for kids and families. It's also adjacent to their football stadium...

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 23rd, 2016, 4:31 pm

There is a splash pad btw. And room to grow the playground.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 24th, 2016, 11:57 am

So, now that all the hard stuff like actual construction is done, when are they going to get around to the relatively easy task of painting the 5th St. bike lanes?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 24th, 2016, 12:04 pm

Do they have bike symbols on the raised bike lanes yet? They are... not obvious.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 24th, 2016, 12:07 pm

Nope.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Carson Dyle
City Center

Postby Carson Dyle » August 25th, 2016, 9:41 am

What are the laws concerning alcohol in the Commons? Anything against drinking in public? Drinking in city parks? Rules against glass bottles? Etc.

Would this be an appropriate place for fans to gather with adult beverages prior to a Vikings game?

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » August 25th, 2016, 9:53 am

If this is considered a Minneapolis Park, then no alcohol without special permit (which I'm assuming the Vikings will get for their areas), and no smoking. https://www.minneapolisparks.org/about_ ... __tobacco/

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 25th, 2016, 9:57 am

But Frey is working on changing the ordinance so that people can drink in the parks.