Bicycle Infrastructure

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Re: Bicycle Infrastructure

Postby Sacrelicio » August 29th, 2016, 11:59 am

I know they do. I've complained countless times around the University, and many Sundays they just don't come. I'll get a response the next day stating that the vehicle is gone upon arrival. Well, yeah, it's a day later and no one even bothered to check the day before. I just try and confront people in the nicest way possible letting them know they're blocking a bike lane.
Try emailing the CM for that area.

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mcgizz » August 30th, 2016, 9:44 pm

Has anyone ridden down/up Third Avenue downtown now that the majority of the street has been repainted?

Also, does anyone else really hate the way the bike lane on northbound Hennepin going across the bridge is almost perfectly bisected by the concrete joints? I feel like this might be dangerous as time goes on.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » August 30th, 2016, 10:07 pm

Has anyone ridden down/up Third Avenue downtown now that the majority of the street has been repainted?
not enough posts. I wouldn't call it a protected bike lane tbh. I've encountered cars parked/standing in it multiple times.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » August 30th, 2016, 10:11 pm

Yeah the post spacing is pretty pathetic, especially compared to what could've been.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » August 31st, 2016, 8:40 am

Sigh. That would have been better.

That said, I road it this morning, and use it pretty regularly now that it's there, after almost never riding on 3rd before it existed. So, it's something.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » August 31st, 2016, 8:44 am

Wasn't there supposed to be a protected lane here? What happened to that?

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 31st, 2016, 8:45 am

I've been using it ever since they it first reached Seventh Street. Definitely a big improvement, even if it's underwhelming compared to what we could have had.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 31st, 2016, 8:50 am

Wasn't there supposed to be a protected lane here? What happened to that?
One or more businesses complained that having only three lanes on 3rd would be catastrophic (despite traffic studies saying it would be perfectly fine), so CM Goodman abruptly vetoed the three-lane layout, and there isn't room for planter protection with a four-lane layout.

My question (which I'm sure will have a frustrating answer) is why, since Public Works was ripping up pavement anyway, they couldn't have put in precast curb (like that last block of Oak St.) in instead of pylons where it wouldn't conflict with curb cuts.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » August 31st, 2016, 9:51 am

Yeah the post spacing is pretty pathetic, especially compared to what could've been.

It's an improvement from not having any bike lane. Also when is the next time the road is going to be repaved? Will they extend the bike lane surface all the way to the curb, or continue to keep the 1ft. concrete lip along the bike trail? Is Minneapolis good at eventually fixing these issues in the long term? It's a bit harder to pass slow bikers when they don't move all the way over because of the uneven biking surface.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 4th, 2016, 11:53 am

W 70th is closed temporarily to construct a bike tunnel for the Nine Mile Creek regional trail.
70th St is closed in Edina to allow construction of a tunnel under street for bike trail, just like RR trax https://twitter.com/edinacityman/status ... 04/photo/1
https://twitter.com/edinacityman/status ... 1523912704

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 8th, 2016, 11:48 am

Via the Mayoral Twitter, the 3rd Ave protected bike lanes will be extended across the bridge to University next year.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » September 8th, 2016, 1:46 pm

any idea when Google maps will update the bike routes? Seems like they have gotten really outdated and don't correctly display all the bike lanes.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 8th, 2016, 2:50 pm

Via the Mayoral Twitter, the 3rd Ave protected bike lanes will be extended across the bridge to University next year.
I have to say I'm not a big fan of on-street bike lanes on this bridge or the Hennepin Ave bridge, even if they are slightly widened and a few bollards are added. I can't speak for the 3rd/Central bridge as much, but the Hennepin Ave bridge has uber-wide sidewalks that are perfectly fine for mixing bike-ped traffic. I really can't see the point in riding "below the curb" (as opposed to on the raised sidewalk) on Hennepin. And as for 3rd/Central, the idea of riding in the street between some bollards and the existing barrier is not enticing. Even if they do narrow the driving lanes and the bike lanes get 1-2 feet wider with bollards, still no. Riding on the sidewalks over these bridges is absolutely fine. It's not like they're thronged with pedestrians crossing the river on a daily basis that you can't navigate around a couple on your bike.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, is it possible they would actually move or replace those existing concrete barriers on 3rd/Central? Rather than expand/improve the on-street lanes, as was recently done on Hennepin?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 8th, 2016, 3:07 pm

That would be pretty great. I'm not sure how those barriers are attached; if they're just bolted to the roadway (or just sitting there and being heavy?) then moving them seems pretty reasonable.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 8th, 2016, 3:21 pm

Now that I think about it, is it possible they would actually move or replace those existing concrete barriers on 3rd/Central? Rather than expand/improve the on-street lanes, as was recently done on Hennepin?

This bridge is due for some major overhaul work in the not-too-distant future, so I'd expect that what we're looking at now is just a temporary paint fix, with a Franklin Avenue bridge type treatment in the future.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 9th, 2016, 12:57 pm

The father of a friend of mine wrote this article on the challenges of maintaining a winter bicycling city.

http://www.roadsbridges.com/plow-spreading

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 6th, 2016, 11:26 am

A deadly Benton County roadway design killed a 61-year-old bicyclist.
http://www.startribune.com/bicyclist-fa ... 396168181/
https://goo.gl/maps/iviLs4n898L2

50 MPH stroad, no shoulder, no bicycle facility, sidewalk right on the curb. Designing such a facility should be a criminal offense.

mulad

Postby mulad » October 6th, 2016, 2:43 pm

There was an unveiling of the Capital City Bikeway in Lowertown earlier today, all 2.9 blocks of it (there's still a chunk of pavement missing on that third one). They held an opening event near the corner of Jackson Street and Kellogg Boulevard, where the bike route turns a corner, and painted a centerline and some nice logos on the pavement for it. I imagine it'll be in tonight's TV news and in the papers tomorrow.

It's supposed to get bigger, of course.

A couple relevant tweets:

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 6th, 2016, 2:57 pm

Whoah, since when have we been able to embed tweets

mulad

Postby mulad » October 7th, 2016, 12:26 pm

I had added something a while back but hadn't set it to be visible in the editor. It's more of a hack than I'd like (which is why I'd kept it hidden), but it works alright.

I haven't come across any regular reporting on this, other than a couple tweets with photos Fred Melo of the PiPress. Maybe there will be something in the weekend papers. However, Bill Lindeke wrote up something for his MinnPost column:

https://www.minnpost.com/cityscape/2016 ... ty-bikeway