Uptown - LynLake - The Wedge - News & General

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
MNdible
is great.

Re: Uptown General Topics & Development Map

Postby MNdible » September 8th, 2016, 9:49 am

Looks like there was some activity at Le Paris this morning. Some guys in a scissor lift -- it may be that they were just doing some inspections.

At this point, I honestly can't imagine any solution short of tearing the whole thing down and starting from scratch. As wet as it's been this summer, the whole building must be a soaked sponge.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » September 8th, 2016, 10:15 am

^Was just thinking this as I was walking by the horrible building the other day. It's gotta be so soaked that demolition would likely be the best option. Even if they do find a way to rehab it, I'd think twice before moving in knowing its history.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 8th, 2016, 11:05 am

My guess is the owners are just hoping some plucky arsonist comes along and then they can reap the insurance money.
It's not like the site is secured or anything.

Plenty of wild young bucks living in the surrounding area who might have too much to drink one night and get some bright ideas.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 13th, 2016, 10:08 am

Tbh, it doesn't really look wet or rotted.

Drywall trucks unloading out front today.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » September 14th, 2016, 11:09 am

Stretching the definition of "Greater Uptown" but in-line with other apartments east of Lyndale in the Uptown sub-forum. 100-130 unit proposal in the works for the Tire & Auto sire on Lake St between Harriet and Garfield. Guessing the developer will need to acquire the vacant/parking lot on the west side of the alley. Tax-credits would be used to bring rents down substantially.

http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/de ... g-project/

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 14th, 2016, 11:32 am

In the article it states he already owns the lot across the alley. It's taken him 8 years to acquire the auto shop.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » September 14th, 2016, 11:48 am

That it does. The second half of the article didn't load for me the first time I guess (I did think it ended at an odd spot). Anyway, hopefully Minn can acquire those two remaining parcels!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 14th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Totally. They look to be owned by an individual. And would be incredibly difficult to develop or do anything with.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 14th, 2016, 1:19 pm

Speaking of parking-lot-redevelopment-east-of-Lyndale.... the Amundson site at Lake and Harriet is apparently under contract. I've been waiting for a record of sale to go through to see who buys it.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 14th, 2016, 1:24 pm

3632 Colfax is listed for sale, classified as "land." Zoning is R2B but half the block is R5.... Rocketship?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 14th, 2016, 1:39 pm

Lake and harriet could be the new Franklin and Portland. Actually I really hope so.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » September 14th, 2016, 3:47 pm

FWIW, the individual that owns the land on the northeast corner of Lake and Garfield also owns several other properties at LynLake:

Up Down's building
The longtime vacant Rockler Hardware building and parking lot
HUGE's building
The vacant/parking lots at the northeast corner of 31st & Lyndale
The house on 31st just east of Lyndale

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 14th, 2016, 4:23 pm

Is there also a prohibition on new surface lots in this area? It doesn't seem that they're using this for parking?

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: RE: Re: Uptown General Topics & Development Map

Postby David Greene » September 14th, 2016, 8:18 pm

100-130 unit proposal in the works for the Tire & Auto sire on Lake St between Harriet and Garfield.
Ah damn, I was afraid it was that one. Paul Williams is one of the best, fairest repair shops I've been to. I'm glad development is happening, but sad to see this great business go.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 14th, 2016, 8:22 pm

I can't imagine how ugly this thing is going to be to achieve those rents.

Quote of the week:
Parking would be enclosed and underground, he said, with 90-110 parking spaces and double the number of bike parking spaces. Minn said he’s not anxious to build retail if residents don’t have enough vehicle parking. Even if tenants take the bus to work, they still want to own a car, he said.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » September 14th, 2016, 8:31 pm

Speaking of parking-lot-redevelopment-east-of-Lyndale.... the Amundson site at Lake and Harriet is apparently under contract. I've been waiting for a record of sale to go through to see who buys it.
What's the Amundson site...??? Checks my name... Oh slightly spelled different. Still wondering though.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » September 14th, 2016, 11:22 pm

Sean, it said he will be using tax credits and thus the capped, affordable rents. This may be similar to their Mill City Quarter project.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » September 15th, 2016, 8:15 am

Re: the quote about owning a car. I'm kinda sorta waiting for both public policy as well as the private developers taking advantage of tax credits to be a little more creative in bringing down the costs of these developments and how to offer what those people want without it meaning "owning a car." There's no shortage of options for car-sharing, both point-to-point and station based. There's something a little off about building subsidized housing for people who have the luxury of owning a car and storing it in an expensive underground parking structure to use it a few times a week (**I realize this is dangerous territory to wade into; the "DO THEY ALSO HAVE A SMARTPHONE IF SO WHY ARE WE SUBSIDIZING THEIR RENT" line of thought**).

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 15th, 2016, 8:36 am

Eh. A good deal of homeless people have smart phones. I'm not sure that's a good way of measuring stability or wealth.

What's a land line again?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 15th, 2016, 8:44 am

Next thing they'll be putting fridges and microwaves in these low income units!

I think the easy counterpoint is that a phone is a smart phone is a necessity, especially if someone has no computer to access the internet. A car in a transit dense central city location is not a necessity. But then proving that is the hard thing, I've heard a billion times about how the poor people need their car because of their jobs in far flung exurbs. And, I don't know, on a first glance that's not wrong perse, but I feel like there needs to be another level to that conversation.