Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mplser
US Bank Plaza

Re: Downtown Retail News

Postby mplser » November 20th, 2012, 5:30 pm

I think MNMike has a good point about Neiman Marcus (aka "Needless Markup") closing. That will open up space for some smaller retailers to come into Gavidae.
"needless markup". no kidding. I walked in and looked at the price tag on some pants once. I got that "I don't belong here" feeling and walked right out.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 20th, 2012, 11:15 pm

While increased downtown population helps, you also have to keep in mind that the population is going largely to the North Loop, Mill City and Loring Park areas, so the new demand they bring is likely not for clothes stores on Nicollet Mall.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » November 20th, 2012, 11:34 pm

I would like to see an REI downtown. They are pushing a sustainable co-op image, yet all their Twin Cities stores are currently in car dominated suburbs. REI could even be an anchor for a renovated Block E (or Nieman's corner). They're big enough to take a corner spot on both the street and skyway level, and could provide a transparent connection between the two like the Target store. Best yet, on their open all-glass-corner they could build a three story rock climbing wall that, combined with Hennepin's Time Square style signage, would give them very high visibility.

You might think that camping gear is an odd choice for downtown, but biking is a major part of their business. And if the Mississippi whitewater course ever gets going that would offer an opportunity for their paddle sport gear.

More likely they'd put a store in Uptown. Columbia, Northface, and REI would offer some synergy for outdoor types with money to blow...

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 21st, 2012, 9:39 am

I would like to see an REI downtown. They are pushing a sustainable co-op image, yet all their Twin Cities stores are currently in car dominated suburbs. REI could even be an anchor for a renovated Block E (or Nieman's corner). They're big enough to take a corner spot on both the street and skyway level, and could provide a transparent connection between the two like the Target store. Best yet, on their open all-glass-corner they could build a three story rock climbing wall that, combined with Hennepin's Time Square style signage, would give them very high visibility.

You might think that camping gear is an odd choice for downtown, but biking is a major part of their business. And if the Mississippi whitewater course ever gets going that would offer an opportunity for their paddle sport gear.

More likely they'd put a store in Uptown. Columbia, Northface, and REI would offer some synergy for outdoor types with money to blow...
I like! Not sure if they'd go for it, but I like to imagine a glassy facade with rock climbing walls in the heart of downtown...

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 21st, 2012, 9:58 am

I would like to see an REI downtown.
I love this idea. Not sure if it's viable or not, but I love it. I could also see a store like this going into Riverplace, where it would be immediately adjacent to the river.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 21st, 2012, 11:31 am

Drooling at the idea of a 2-story REI in Block E. I've actually taken the bus to the one in Bloomington before. I thought the 535 would get me a lot closer...whoops

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 21st, 2012, 1:52 pm

Drooling at the idea of a 2-story REI in Block E. I've actually taken the bus to the one in Bloomington before. I thought the 535 would get me a lot closer...whoops
If you like climbing in the city itself. Check out Vertical Endevers at about 26th and Nicollet.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 21st, 2012, 2:03 pm

How about a 100 foot REI rock-climbing wall attached to the Block E building (I'm guessing Block E is 100 feet tall, but it's probably more like 90 feet)? Now that'd be iconic!!

nybe0034
Block E

Postby nybe0034 » November 21st, 2012, 7:37 pm

This is my first post. I've been following Minnescraper/UrbanMSP for years and after moving back from the East Coast I'm happy to be living downtown Minneapolis. I've always thought having a rock climbing wall (a glass mountain design) in the old Ramada/parking lot with residential above (or a new movie theater?) could be iconic for the city and show off our claim for 'City by Nature'. Connecting downtown with Loring Park/Laurel Village on Hennepin would be great for downtown. The surface parking lot is nasty and is a big disconnect to the activities on both ends.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 6th, 2012, 3:47 pm

I pulled these numbers from the Develpoment Tracker from a journal a few weeks back. Wehave alot of change coming to the downtown area in many way. First up we will be seeing 560 units being build in the Downtown east and west, 1037 units in the North Loop, 375 units on the north side of the river, and 194 units in the LOrning Park area. That is 2166 unit now UNDER CONSTRUCTION! This does not include the Abbott rehab, or the Stonebridge Condo project that are both semi under construction. If you were to have say 1.25 persons per unit as some will be 2 bedrooms and others occupied by couples you would have about 2710 people that will be added to the downtown shopping area. These numbers do not include the 2 new North Loop projects that just opened this summer and fall. We now have to look at our new larger built-in shopping base.

While Sak's and NeedlessMarkup will be leaving Gavidee, That would leave space open for Von Mour and Herbergers to take over those two site. They would really not have to do alot to give them a fresh look, and this would allow for 2 more Anchors besides Macy's for people to go shopping at while downtown. These store would be more in the price line of what a majority of the people living downtown could afford. That I think would strengthen the draw for others store to come and inhabit the Gavidee.

Hopefully Shorenstein has gotten word about how we despise the exterior of City Center and they will do something to get the base to be more inviting at street level. There is so much retail potential if landlords and the city would work together to get a decent product for the shoppers. You have some great spending potential, You have to have places that these people want to shop. You need buildings that people want to walk into and shop in also. People will not shop in a war bunker if they do not see it as a place that they want to walk thru the doors to visit. City Center has a first floor main corner vacant and it looks like East Berlin after the fall. I personally hate walking on that section of Nicolett [sic]. It look thilthy and disgusting. Time t get in on the ground fllor , because the downtown is a changing for the good. The longer you wait the more it will cost you to play later.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » December 6th, 2012, 4:21 pm

Hopefully Shorenstein has gotten word about how we despise the exterior of City Center and they will do something to get the base to be more inviting at street level. There is so much retail potential if landlords and the city would work together to get a decent product for the shoppers. You have some great spending potential, You have to have places that these people want to shop. You need buildings that people want to walk into and shop in also. People will not shop in a war bunker if they do not see it as a place that they want to walk thru the doors to visit. City Center has a first floor main corner vacant and it looks like East Berlin after the fall. I personally hate walking on that section of Nicolett [sic]. It look thilthy and disgusting. Time t get in on the ground fllor , because the downtown is a changing for the good. The longer you wait the more it will cost you to play later.
Considering there is the possibility of Target leaving 33 S. Sixth down the road, I hope Shorenstein doesn't bury their head in the sand and let the place go further downhill. A major renovation could really re-energize the building and make it much more marketable. If/when Target leaves, it'll leave a huge hole to fill.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » December 6th, 2012, 11:51 pm

While Sak's and NeedlessMarkup will be leaving Gavidee, That would leave space open for Von Mour and Herbergers to take over those two site. They would really not have to do alot to give them a fresh look, and this would allow for 2 more Anchors besides Macy's for people to go shopping at while downtown. These store would be more in the price line of what a majority of the people living downtown could afford. That I think would strengthen the draw for others store to come and inhabit the Gavidee.
Wait, has it been said somewhere that Saks off Fifth is actually leaving? Or are we just assuming that because they are opening in Eagan in a couple years? Not saying it is a bad assumption...it is a conclusion I had pretty much jumped to in the Eagan thread, but I didn't think I had actually seen any mention of them leaving. Sure, if they did leave, and those other two dept stores came it COULD draw people...but I really don't think any department stores have any interest at all whatsoever of opening downtown at the moment. If both anchors leave, my best guess would be partial office conversion and smaller storefronts, plus vacant space for a long while, unfortunately.

PS, Saks off fifth isn't upscale, it is an outlet..so it isn't really "out of line" with what people shopping downtown can afford.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » December 6th, 2012, 11:58 pm

Considering there is the possibility of Target leaving 33 S. Sixth down the road, I hope Shorenstein doesn't bury their head in the sand and let the place go further downhill. A major renovation could really re-energize the building and make it much more marketable. If/when Target leaves, it'll leave a huge hole to fill.

You know City Center had a pretty major renovation not long ago at all, right? The whole place was gutted to the beams and reconfigured...they just didn't touch the outside.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 7th, 2012, 10:40 am

You know City Center had a pretty major renovation not long ago at all, right? The whole place was gutted to the beams and reconfigured...they just didn't touch the outside.
The interior is really not that bad. it is the exterior that keeps people from wanting to go inside. The exterior is not inviting. Kinda like how Southdale was for year. Why would anyone go into a place that look blank and does not have windows that invite you to see what is inside and down the halls.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 9th, 2012, 9:13 pm

Strib article about the state of luxury retail in the Twin Cities: http://www.startribune.com/local/182760551.html

There are a few lines about Needless Markup leaving downtown, the standard complaint about the lack of parking vs. free parking at malls. It mentions the Saks Off 5th going in to the Eagan outlet mall as a "2nd location" so maybe there is hope for the downtown location. No hints dropped as to what might replace Neiman

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 10th, 2012, 1:21 pm

Strib article about the state of luxury retail in the Twin Cities: http://www.startribune.com/local/182760551.html

There are a few lines about Needless Markup leaving downtown, the standard complaint about the lack of parking vs. free parking at malls. It mentions the Saks Off 5th going in to the Eagan outlet mall as a "2nd location" so maybe there is hope for the downtown location. No hints dropped as to what might replace Neiman
As I stated earlier, Von Mour or Herberger's would make great anchors and best use of the space. retail in Minneapolis was good before the Bush years. In the early 2000's is when things went south and there was no the built in shopping mass that there is now and will continue to increase as apartment buildings are completed.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 10th, 2012, 5:36 pm

The article was pretty clear that the city doesn't envision luxury clothing as a big part of renewing downtown retail.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 10th, 2012, 6:38 pm

The article was pretty clear that the city doesn't envision luxury clothing as a big part of renewing downtown retail.
I think there is room for high end retail downtown, but it should only be one part of the retail picture. I agree with Rybak in many ways. However, I think if Von Mauer located downtown they would be very succesful. They do have practical things like good winter clothes and accessories. It is headquarted in Iowa and has more midwestern values. Nieman Marcus ( aka "Needless Markup") never seemed to fit in with our city's personality IMO.

I guess the other phenomenon happening downtown is the large number of higher income residents who will be moving into all these luxury rentals (and probably a few condo projects) being built over the next few years. The downtown population will be approaching 40,000 by 2020. In a few years from now, some higher-end stores will surely take notice of this emerging market and locate downtown.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 1st, 2013, 5:16 pm

The little orphan retail spot by Target now has something in it--an art gallery? There's a lot of that going on downtown lately, there are a couple different art galleries that popped up in Gaviidae over the past year.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 1st, 2013, 6:34 pm

Good! Anything to publicize Minneapolis' love of the arts!