Columbia Heights - Hilltop - Fridley - Spring Lake Park

Twin Cities Suburbs
arhorton
Block E

Columbia Heights - Hilltop - Fridley - Spring Lake Park

Postby arhorton » August 13th, 2013, 12:53 pm

I haven't seen this one mentioned in any posts here. I'm interested in this because I currently work in the BAE building and I've been trying to keep up with the latest news on the development.

I'd really like to see any artwork or renderings showing the future plans.

Background info:

Feb 24, 2012
Hyde plans $145M BAE redevelopment
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/p ... o-buy.html

Feb 15, 2013
Hyde Development's Fridley BAE project inches forward
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... oject.html

Jul 10, 2013
Hyde acquires massive BAE building in Fridley; plans new industrial park
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... -site.html

On March 25, 2013, The City of Fridley submitted an Alternative Urban Area-Wide Review (AUAR) to the State Environmental Quality Board for Publication. http://www.ci.fridley.mn.us/images/arti ... -25-13.pdf

The AUAR shows several development scenarios with the locations for office, retail, showroom, warehouse, and manufacturing buildings.

Anondson
IDS Center

Re: BAE Systems Redevelopment (4800 East River Road) - Fridl

Postby Anondson » August 13th, 2013, 7:26 pm

Holy 440 page data dump!

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Fridley - Columbia Heights - Spring Lake Park

Postby maxbaby » April 2nd, 2014, 3:09 pm

A nice upgrade to an older shopping center.http://identitypr.com/pressrelease/tri- ... enovation/

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Fridley Market - Fridley

Postby mattaudio » April 7th, 2014, 1:25 pm

Meh this is a mediocre site plan at best. A new apartment building against the freeway, and new outlots between the CVS and the Holiday? Weak sauce.

More standard stroad | MUP | berm | drive-thru | outlot | parking | feeder | parking | big box crap.

Can't they be a little more imaginative and put the housing near 57th Ave? Maybe mixed use? And de-stroad 57th Ave?

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Re: Fridley Market - Fridley

Postby Suburban Outcast » April 8th, 2014, 3:46 pm

It's actually a hotel (probably some mid-end one is my guess), but while this is a pretty generic suburban development, this will at least look better than what was there before according to looking at the site on Google Maps. Reverting the strip mall to the street would be an improvement. Keep the parking in back, but since there is a sidewalk on 57th, they might as well use it.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 30th, 2014, 10:20 am

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 30th, 2014, 10:26 am

Did you know there used to be an airport there? And that the complex has been hit by multiple tornadoes? http://www.airfields-freeman.com/MN/Air ... rnordnance

twincitizen

Re: Fridley - Columbia Heights - Spring Lake Park

Postby twincitizen » April 26th, 2016, 7:51 am

http://finance-commerce.com/2016/04/fri ... c-complex/
The city of Fridley is soliciting proposals to oversee construction of an estimated $40 million civic complex, part of an ambitious redevelopment that would also bring housing and public gathering spaces to the former Columbia Arena site.
The planned complex would include a 36,000-square-foot municipal center for police and city hall functions, a 75,000-square-foot public works facility, a 14,000-square-foot fire station, and both structured and surface parking, according to the request for proposals. Community development director Scott Hickok said the project would likely be paid for with bonds issued by the city’s Housing and Redevelopment Authority. The housing would be privately developed.
No mention in the article if they plan to annex Columbia Heights and Spring Lake Park in order to pay for this ;)

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 26th, 2016, 9:09 am

They'd be moving the city hall & community center from walkable spaces within the community to an inaccessible (except by car) highway frontage. That seems like a short-sighted decision.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 26th, 2016, 9:22 am

But the new facility would have the prestige address of 7001 University East Service Road. Classy!

jebr
Nicollet Mall

Postby jebr » April 26th, 2016, 11:40 am

The old location of the Fridley City Hall doesn't seem remarkably walkable either, though. Both are along the University branch of the 10, and the new location would have some trails going to it (for whatever that's worth.) The change doesn't really help walkability, but it doesn't seem to hurt it much either.

SamHartmen

Postby SamHartmen » April 26th, 2016, 5:35 pm

The old location of the Fridley City Hall doesn't seem remarkably walkable either, though. Both are along the University branch of the 10, and the new location would have some trails going to it (for whatever that's worth.) The change doesn't really help walkability, but it doesn't seem to hurt it much either.

you mean like they won't make you walk uphill to and from the site? :|

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 14th, 2016, 9:09 am

Columbia Heights has approved plans for a HyVee on the Rainbow site on Central Ave.
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.0473989 ... 312!8i6656

Ace Hardware, Dollar Tree, and Meineke will remain... While that's a good thing in abstract, it makes me think the site plan will still be crappy at the end of the day.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » October 14th, 2016, 11:25 am

I personally think that Hyvee, typically, has better planning than Cub or other large grocery stores.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 14th, 2016, 12:26 pm

That building was originally a single-use 'Shopper City', the super-walmart/ Hyvee of it's day.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » October 14th, 2016, 12:51 pm

Columbia Heights has approved plans for a HyVee on the Rainbow site on Central Ave.
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.0473989 ... 312!8i6656

Ace Hardware, Dollar Tree, and Meineke will remain... While that's a good thing in abstract, it makes me think the site plan will still be crappy at the end of the day.
There's not a lot you can do with that site if you're just re-occupying the current building. To get a better overall site you'd really need to do a complete tear down and reconstruct the whole thing. I'd love for them to do something with that retaining wall and the huge expanse of parking lot, but I doubt very much that we'll see any changes.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 14th, 2016, 1:16 pm

I thought HyVee was against re-occupying buildings... I thought they nearly always start from scratch.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » October 14th, 2016, 8:58 pm

I thought HyVee was against re-occupying buildings... I thought they nearly always start from scratch.
They reoccupied for the "Barlow" location in Rochester, but that was years ago. Well, that's what I was told... could be wrong information though.

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » October 15th, 2016, 9:16 pm

They reoccupied for the "Barlow" location in Rochester, but that was years ago. Well, that's what I was told... could be wrong information though.
Yep, they bought out Barlow Foods in 1997. Barlow's closed at 11:59 PM, and HyVee Rochester #3 opened 8 hours later. It took almost a year to get all the signs, carts, baskets, etc switched over - they just kept using the Barlows stuff. Can you tell I worked there at the time?
Urbanist in the north woods

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 16th, 2016, 7:00 pm

Did Barlow's own the Faribault grocery store that is now a HyVee? It has an equally weird entry configuration.