North Loop Neighborhood

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Re: North Loop Neighborhood

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » October 13th, 2016, 11:58 am

Most of those streets only existed notionally; they might have been dirt paths or nothing at all. But platting them in advance kept them from being built upon.
Some of these "ghost streets" (i.e. legally reserved as public thoroughfares via the platting process, but never built out) exist to this day! I'm not sure whether there are any in mostly-built-out Minneapolis, but the weird partially developed industrial/residential melange west of downtown Shakopee appears to have a few (per Scott County GIS). The apparently nonexistent 1300 block of 5th Ave West, just south of the Riverview Park baseball diamond? Walk right through!

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » October 18th, 2016, 8:44 am

The Origami building is getting some brick TLC the past few days. Any news upon what may go in there?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 18th, 2016, 9:36 am

The Origami building is getting some brick TLC the past few days. Any news upon what may go in there?
Something is in the works for the old Origami space downtown.

http://mspmag.com/Blogs/Dara/April-2016 ... -Furukawa/

spiker1017
Block E

Postby spiker1017 » November 9th, 2016, 7:44 pm

I noticed walking home from work tonight that The new restaurant in The Hewing hotel, Tullibee, was having a soft opening. Everything inside looks to be set, and the space looks great when walking by on Washington. I believe both the hotel and restaurant open next week on the 17th. Love this addition to the neighborhood!

Additionally, it looks like the Bonobos guide shop (in the Sex World building) is nearing completion and I believe opens next week Nov 18. Hopefully they land another great tenant for the larger, corner spot in this development.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 9th, 2016, 8:32 pm

Alright, I'm feeling more free to talk about it, I'm going to be a server at tullibee and the entire hewing staff has been training quite intensively for almost two weeks now. This place is going to be stunning. The amount of effort and research and craft that has gone into this project is staggering. The detail is crazy, and hopefully we'll be providing a level of hotel service unlike anything in the state.

If you have any questions let me know. This place is Minnesota and Minneapolis pride, they are going to try to elevate guest's experiences in the city, almost everything is local, and the koolaid is great. ;)

Soft openings until the 17th is when it all opens to the public.

The rooftop has amazing views, and hot drinks in classic metal thermouses, as well as a small pool and 25 person sauna (with city views, that maybe semi public in the future)

That said, definitely a value added product.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » November 10th, 2016, 10:13 am

On the surface lot across from Aria on 1st Street there is a drilling machine set up. The worker said he was drilling for core samples for an underground garage that would be for a new hotel on that site. Has anyone heard about this? Seems like an odd location for a hotel considering the availability of other spots on Washington Ave.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 10th, 2016, 10:27 am

West Elm probably. That lot between Azine and 1st? I think that North Loop is going to try and be one of those "busy on every street" neighborhoods. Instead of the usual commercial corridor that we're used to, it's going to be more of an overlay.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » November 10th, 2016, 10:59 am

West Elm probably. That lot between Azine and 1st? I think that North Loop is going to try and be one of those "busy on every street" neighborhoods. Instead of the usual commercial corridor that we're used to, it's going to be more of an overlay.
Yup, that's the one. One of the workers said they were doing core samples for a parking garage that would go on the property for a hotel across the street (Aria area), later another said it was for an underground garage that would have a hotel on top of the surface lot. My guess is the 2nd guy is correct as I thought the development behind Aria was going to be apartments/retail and wouldn't include a hotel.

spiker1017
Block E

Postby spiker1017 » November 10th, 2016, 1:01 pm

I would've guessed West Elm would do a renovation project for their hotel (one of the Duffey buildings), but this 1st st location wouldnt surprise me. The proximity to Aria with frequent events and weddings, along with other things taking off in that stretch of the neighborhood, would make for another nice hotel spot.

Anyone know of anything going on at 126 1st st (across from Bachelor Farmer and The Foundry)? I believe it is/was a garage door replacement shop, but i haven't seen much life there in the year I've lived in the neighborhood. I saw some brick repair work going on a few weeks back and wasn't sure if I missed something. Wouldn't be surprised given all the activity on that little stretch.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » November 10th, 2016, 1:05 pm

Alright, I'm feeling more free to talk about it, I'm going to be a server at tullibee and the entire hewing staff has been training quite intensively for almost two weeks now. This place is going to be stunning. The amount of effort and research and craft that has gone into this project is staggering. The detail is crazy, and hopefully we'll be providing a level of hotel service unlike anything in the state.

If you have any questions let me know. This place is Minnesota and Minneapolis pride, they are going to try to elevate guest's experiences in the city, almost everything is local, and the koolaid is great. ;)

Soft openings until the 17th is when it all opens to the public.

The rooftop has amazing views, and hot drinks in classic metal thermouses, as well as a small pool and 25 person sauna (with city views, that maybe semi public in the future)

That said, definitely a value added product.
Awesome - thanks for the insight on this! We have dinner reservations on Monday the 21st and are looking forward to it...I'm pretty excited for this addition to the neighborhood.

Pro-tip: double-check the time on your Open Table reservations. I initially had reservations on Saturday for 7:30, but I just looked and saw they were for 7:30 AM. :o :lol:

RobN
Block E

Postby RobN » November 10th, 2016, 1:36 pm

...Anyone know of anything going on at 126 1st st (across from Bachelor Farmer and The Foundry)? I believe it is/was a garage door replacement shop, but i haven't seen much life there in the year I've lived in the neighborhood. I saw some brick repair work going on a few weeks back and wasn't sure if I missed something. Wouldn't be surprised given all the activity on that little stretch.
There's a fascinating story about the building, which morphed from a garage door business into "Fiorentino’s Cuckoo Clock Museum".
http://mspmag.com/arts-and-culture/in-s ... lost-time/

On nice days in the summer, Mr. Fiorentino often sits on a stool outside the building and invites passers-by inside to look around.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 10th, 2016, 2:51 pm

Not sure if this belongs here, or in general Minneapolis thread:

Pryes Brewing opening brewery and taproom near North Loop
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... -near.html

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » November 10th, 2016, 3:38 pm

...Anyone know of anything going on at 126 1st st (across from Bachelor Farmer and The Foundry)? I believe it is/was a garage door replacement shop, but i haven't seen much life there in the year I've lived in the neighborhood. I saw some brick repair work going on a few weeks back and wasn't sure if I missed something. Wouldn't be surprised given all the activity on that little stretch.
There's a fascinating story about the building, which morphed from a garage door business into "Fiorentino’s Cuckoo Clock Museum".
http://mspmag.com/arts-and-culture/in-s ... lost-time/

On nice days in the summer, Mr. Fiorentino often sits on a stool outside the building and invites passers-by inside to look around.
That blows my mind. I've wondered what that building was and when it was going to get converted to something useful every time I walk by there. This whole time there was a guy (and a huge, unique museum) living in there. Crazy.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » November 14th, 2016, 3:52 pm

A few pics of the ABC warehouse apartments going up at N 6th Ave and 4th Street N:

ImageABC warehouse apartments.
by ZTR Norge, on Flickr

ImageABC warehouse apartments
by ZTR Norge, on Flickr

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 14th, 2016, 5:55 pm

Thanks!

It accompanies the new sidewalk well.

spiker1017
Block E

Postby spiker1017 » December 2nd, 2016, 9:13 am

Anyone know if Red Rabbit is still slated to open mid to late summer 2017 (as stated in the Star Tribune article from a few months back)?

As I walked by this morning on my way to work I was very surprised to see how far they've come on the inside. The bar was in, decorative lights were up, booths looked ready to be installed, outdoor speakers were installed on the patio, etc.

Perhaps there is a lot of work to go on the kitchen or patio/greenhouse area, but I was surprised to see some of these elements already done in early December (7+ months ahead of the original timing mentioned in the article).

spiker1017
Block E

Postby spiker1017 » December 2nd, 2016, 9:19 am

I answered my own question - looks like it's slated to open December 20.

https://www.google.com/amp/minneapolis. ... ent=safari

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » December 6th, 2016, 1:20 pm

With the renovation of the SexWorld building, and now this, this intersection is finally getting some much needed aesthetic improvements. Has there been any news about the extremely dilapidated building kitty corner from SexWorld? It needs a ton of exterior work.
I saw an orange notice on the door to this building this morning. My face was frozen so I didn't stop to check it out, but maybe something is finally happening here.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 6th, 2016, 2:13 pm

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 6th, 2016, 3:08 pm

Finally reading the report. This makes me so happy :) :)

It's almost unbelievable that it's survived this long. I mean, 1876 is pretty old for wrecking ball happy downtown.