Uptown - LynLake - The Wedge - News & General

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Silophant

Re: Uptown General Topics & Development Map

Postby Silophant » October 16th, 2016, 10:00 pm

I think we're drifting from Uptown here. How about a 'For the love substations' thread.
Good idea. I'm moving the substation/power line talk to the old Hiawatha West Substation thread, now renamed.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 16th, 2016, 10:08 pm

So is the Shoreline Overlay District just a joke to these guys?

http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/de ... ry-condos/
Shoreland Overlay district does not have a height maximum, it has a maximum height that is allowed by right, with the ability to seek a CUP above that, with additional requirements for the CUP beyond the normal CUP requirements.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » October 16th, 2016, 10:24 pm

I think it's a fair question to ask what the height limitations accomplish in terms of protecting water quality and wildlife habitat? How do those goals intersect with Minneapolis' park space surrounding rivers and lakes (compared to, say, suburban lakes with privately held land right against shorelines)?

As FMP notes, the city has the power to set conditions on development in exchange for allowing taller buildings than the by-right amount. Runoff control, vegetation, etc can and should be part of that mix (more so than we'd ask for on a typical lot), but I just don't see how height matters that much. And IMO, the 6 story building half a block south seems to be a very positive addition to the neighborhood.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 17th, 2016, 7:45 am

I started a thread for this project: https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4148

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » October 19th, 2016, 4:49 pm

Five Watt Coffee planning a new coffee brewpub at 2904 Harriet. "It will be a coffeeshop, but unlike any coffee shop anyone has ever been to."

http://www.startribune.com/five-watt-co ... 397614501/

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 19th, 2016, 6:50 pm

So where Big Watt Is?

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » November 11th, 2016, 2:30 pm

A 6 story, 71 unit apartment building is being proposed for the current site of two houses, 3009-13 Holmes Ave S:

http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 189809.pdf

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 11th, 2016, 10:39 pm

Is this on that giant surface lot on Holmes?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 11th, 2016, 10:49 pm

the current site of two houses, 3009-13 Holmes Ave S

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 12th, 2016, 6:18 am

I was just thinking they had to be going pretty soon. They're homes but look like really sub par office space rn.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 18th, 2016, 4:17 pm

It's Gunsbury/Solhem (same developer as SolWhatever next door, which they sold last year).
Mostly micro units (380 sf), with two larger live-work loft-style walkups.
http://finance-commerce.com/2016/11/gun ... in-uptown/ (locked I presume)

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 18th, 2016, 5:22 pm

Might be a nice gesture to mimic the top-floor setback from the project next door.

Also, no more balconies projecting into the public ROW, please.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 19th, 2016, 12:24 pm

What's the big deal with balconies over the public ROW?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 19th, 2016, 1:03 pm

Well, for starters, they don't own it, we do. So they shouldn't be building over it.

But perhaps more importantly, it's not pleasant to be walking on a sidewalk underneath somebody's balcony.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » November 23rd, 2016, 1:34 pm

Sorry to be a johnny-come-lately here. I wonder how the mindset that someone shouldn't build something over a public right of way meshes with other views on skyways?

I really don't think it's a big deal. We grant air rights all the time, build things that go over sidewalks and streets, etc. It's also pretty rare that buildings with cantilevered balconies aren't set back from the sidewalk anyway, right? Even still, walking on a sidewalk that is partially underneath a balcony really doesn't bother me. Whatever negatives are outweighed by the greater likelihood that you have people outside watching the sidewalk IMO.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 23rd, 2016, 2:43 pm

I guess any time somebody is asking to take something from the public, you need to understand what are the alternatives and what are the public benefits.

It's not as if the only way that an apartment could have balconies is if they are granted the encroachment, it's just that this is the laziest/greediest way to do it. If balconies are in fact important, then you should plan your development accordingly so that they fit on the property you own, either by pushing back the main facade off of the property line or by recessing the balconies. As an aside, these scabbed on balconies are also the least design sensitive option available. See the side-by-side comparison here.

Regarding the skyway comparison, in spite of their being frowned upon by this board and the Dayton Bros., they are broadly understood to provide a public benefit. A similar argument could be made for awnings projecting into the ROW. I'm not opposed to all encroachment, but when there's no good reason for the city to grant this to a private developer, they shouldn't do it.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 28th, 2016, 9:24 am

911 West 36th Street conversion of a C1-zoned SFH to small office
http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 190464.pdf

1. Is it too late to convince the applicant to build a Form Follows Finance Fourplex?
2. Neighbor Maureen Lyttle of 1001 W 36th Street makes the case for metered parking without knowing it.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » December 2nd, 2016, 10:59 pm

Re: Balconies over public ROW, another thing to note is that things falling off of them (whether intentionally, by wind, or ice) can fall on pedestrians below. If they aren't solid on the bottom, they could drip water when people water plants. Things like awnings, signs, and skyways offer far fewer negatives to those below and provide more benefits to those below than a private balcony. Awnings can provide shelter to pedestrians, signs provide information to the pedestrian, and skyways provide most pedestrians (at least hypothetically) an access method (much like a bridge).

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » December 5th, 2016, 9:09 pm

Maybe this is the wrong thread but anyone ever think about calming traffic on Lake and Lagoon? Went to Lake and Irving restaurant last Saturday and I noticed how dangerous and unpleasant the traffic is there. Could easily be two lanes plus a bike facility.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 5th, 2016, 10:57 pm

I think there is historical memory from old timers of traffic levels from the early 90s, before 394 was completed, and Hennepin/Lake was much worse than today. That is there will be serious resistance to diminishing to 2 lanes despite today's traffic levels likely working out with a 2-lane Lake Street.

The highway-esque portion just north of the lake doesn't help with bringing drivers down to more safe driving through uptown, either.