DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Re: DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Postby amiller92 » November 18th, 2016, 4:43 pm

It is indeed. Lobby/bar has lots of concrete. A few good, local beers on tap. Didn't notice a front desk (there was a machine for that). Interesting that they have transit infor projected on the floor.

Definitely trying for this type of crowd.

Not hard to get their via tunnel from Wells Fargo, but you kinda have to know it's there.

Also, the B. Bryan's is also open. Both it and the Caribou/Einstein are strange to me. Thos skyway-levels are nothing but long hallways of blank walls (with what at least used to be empty-ish service areas behind them), but each of these has a small storefront without that much of windows. Like, why not open these places up to the skyway level lobby area, at least with glass?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 18th, 2016, 5:27 pm

IThos skyway-levels are nothing but long hallways of blank walls (with what at least used to be empty-ish service areas behind them), but each of these has a small storefront without that much of windows. Like, why not open these places up to the skyway level lobby area, at least with glass?
Haven't been here yet, so this is just conjecture and perhaps incorrect, but I think there's a major concrete fire separation between the Skyway, (which is in the Wells Fargo building proper) and these restaurants (which are in the stick-framed apartment building).

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 18th, 2016, 6:17 pm

No, the restaurants are in the Wells Fargo building, on the north side of the skyway corridor.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » November 19th, 2016, 4:53 pm

Didn't notice a front desk (there was a machine for that).
Pretty sure this is the hotel where they want you to check in on your phone and use that as your key. But if you really need service, I believe you go up to the bartender. They double as the check-in folks.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 3rd, 2016, 3:15 pm

ImageDSC_0743 by grant.simons, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0744 by grant.simons, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0745 by grant.simons, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0746 by grant.simons, on Flickr

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 3rd, 2016, 3:52 pm

Are those fake windows at the bottom of the arch?
...tsk
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » December 3rd, 2016, 5:44 pm

I don't see any fake windows...

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 3rd, 2016, 5:49 pm

Real glass, no visibility? They're definitely at the same level as the floor.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 3rd, 2016, 7:55 pm

I think it was just the reflection

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 15th, 2017, 2:53 pm

McKinney Roe interior rendering
http://www.startribune.com/downtown-eas ... 3852243/#1
"The decor — it’s the work of Shea, the Minneapolis design firm — has a lot going on. Perhaps the hope was that a swirl of patterns and colors would affix a personality onto a blandly forgettable new building.

Still, it’s a bit much, as if Belle Watling, the hooker with a heart of gold in “Gone With the Wind,” had recently updated her Victorian-era house of ill repute into a high-end Parade of Homes entry. Here’s one certainty: It’s memorable."

:lol:
Indeed.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » February 15th, 2017, 3:52 pm

I was there not too long ago and McKinney Roe is beautiful inside. I really enjoyed my visit and my food. Also, if you ask the manager, he'll take you up the spiral staircase behind the bar to see the second floor wine area. My biggest concern with the restaurant is the almost non-existent exterior presence. No one knows there's a restaurant there. That includes both from the street and from the skyway. I fear it's not going to last too long if they don't beef up the exterior.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » February 16th, 2017, 1:22 pm

I was there not too long ago and McKinney Roe is beautiful inside. I really enjoyed my visit and my food. Also, if you ask the manager, he'll take you up the spiral staircase behind the bar to see the second floor wine area. My biggest concern with the restaurant is the almost non-existent exterior presence. No one knows there's a restaurant there. That includes both from the street and from the skyway. I fear it's not going to last too long if they don't beef up the exterior.
I was there last night. I enjoyed the food and the decor is a perhaps a bit much, but not over the top in my opinion. I think that they did a good job on the look they were going for. Wine list was decent and I enjoyed my cocktail. My one complaint was that they didn't pace the food very well. We didn't have time to finish our starter before the main course arrived. It was a bit slow, so it might have just been a bored kitchen staff, but still.

Regarding the exterior, it could use more winter presence. Awnings maybe? Or improved signage? The main door also kind of gets lost. I will add that I think it a seasonal issue. They have a GIGANTIC patio space that was completely empty because it is still the middle of winter. Once it warms up, that space will be filled with tables and diners with a great view of the park and the behemoth of a stadium on the far side.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » February 21st, 2017, 8:46 am

My one complaint was that they didn't pace the food very well. We didn't have time to finish our starter before the main course arrived. It was a bit slow, so it might have just been a bored kitchen staff, but still.
I know this isn't the point of the thread, but THIS! SO MANY Minneapolis restaurants seem to think that getting you the food as fast as possible is the goal. If it's lunch time and I've ordered one course then sure, bring it ASAP. But if it's dinner and I have more than one course, I don't want to see the next course until I've finished the last one. Did they all learn how to run kitchens at Applebees or something?

#firstworldproblems

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » February 21st, 2017, 10:09 am

My one complaint was that they didn't pace the food very well. We didn't have time to finish our starter before the main course arrived. It was a bit slow, so it might have just been a bored kitchen staff, but still.
I know this isn't the point of the thread, but THIS! SO MANY Minneapolis restaurants seem to think that getting you the food as fast as possible is the goal. If it's lunch time and I've ordered one course then sure, bring it ASAP. But if it's dinner and I have more than one course, I don't want to see the next course until I've finished the last one. Did they all learn how to run kitchens at Applebees or something?

#firstworldproblems

Usually that's more of a server problem. The kitchen doesn't decide. The server just has to ring in the items separately and space them out.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 21st, 2017, 11:07 am

#firstworldproblems

Usually that's more of a server problem. The kitchen doesn't decide. The server just has to ring in the items separately and space them out.
Eh, lots of chefs prefer to fire their own courses. And in a restaurant like that they wouldn't ring in every course separately, they'd ring it in all at once and notate the courses.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 21st, 2017, 12:09 pm

If only this forum had a veteran local chef who intermittently weighs in on the restaurant industry.

Electricianguy
Block E

Postby Electricianguy » February 21st, 2017, 10:04 pm

My guess, it is the restaurants or servers trying to get people in and out as quick as possible. More diners in one night, is more money in the restaurant''s or server''s pockets.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » February 22nd, 2017, 9:19 am

Yeah, when I worked in the industry (20+ years ago) that was called "turn and burn" but we only did it during the lunch hour, and during the busiest part of the dinner time when customers likely weren't there for the night.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » February 22nd, 2017, 10:14 am

Yeah, when I worked in the industry (20+ years ago) that was called "turn and burn" but we only did it during the lunch hour, and during the busiest part of the dinner time when customers likely weren't there for the night.
If a restaurant is busy, then I understand. For instance, on Monday I went to Pajarito at 6 and they were busy and could have done with faster service because I had tickets for a show to get to. McKinney Roe was not busy on the night I was there. Also, at a certain level of restaurant, you expect better, even if they are busy. If I have a reservation, at 7:30 on a Wednesday night, I'm not racing out for a show and they aren't going to have a late night rush of table turnover. It was either a result of laziness or inexperience.

And now this thread is WAY off course. Anyway, nice building and a good size patio to look at the concrete that might someday be turned into an interactive fountain.

Palmetto
Block E

Postby Palmetto » February 22nd, 2017, 1:11 pm

Has anyone heard any news regarding the fundraising progress for said fountain/water plaza? Are we talking months or years until the second park block is completely finished?