Bike Shopping

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Re: Bike Shopping

Postby RailBaronYarr » April 6th, 2016, 7:29 am

I'm with Anondson. We have this and the kid rode in it starting at 1, loved it. I really like that he's right between my arms so I can talk to him, point things out, hear him talk, etc. For a little extra, you can get a second bar so both your bikes can have this thing attached. The only downside is that if you go on a longer ride and the kid wants to sleep, there's nowhere to rest his head so it'll bounce around a bit.

That said, I did buy a slightly used Babboe City, which is the only way I could justify it (and even then.....).

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 6th, 2016, 9:40 am

RBY your Big G is probably too big for your iBert right? Want to let Little G borrow it for a bit?

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » April 6th, 2016, 12:38 pm

We actually still use it a lot, it says it fits up to 38lbs and 42", and our G is still at 25 lbs. When I drop him at daycare by bike, we take the iBert so I can continue on the the 94 bus to get to St Paul. That said, I'd be happy to let you borrow it and give it a try!

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 18th, 2016, 11:36 pm

So Civia is in the news today because of a recall: http://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/04/21/bike-recall

The article mentions they've had 1000 recalls. Is that a lot? They've got a lot of accessories in addition to the bikes they sell but it seems like a lot, but I don't know what's a normal amount of recalls.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 19th, 2016, 8:41 am

That story looks like it's a year old, no?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 19th, 2016, 8:55 am

Oh man how do years even work.

But regardless, 1000 recalls is a lot (maybe?)

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » April 19th, 2016, 10:08 am

Haha, if it said 2016, that article wouldn't come out until Thursday. And yes, Civia has a recall problem.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » April 19th, 2016, 10:14 am

I think that's saying that 1,000 of the recalled fenders exist, not that Civia has had 1,000 recalls in its history.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 19th, 2016, 12:11 pm

I think that's saying that 1,000 of the recalled fenders exist, not that Civia has had 1,000 recalls in its history.
Yup, that's correct. The CPC website listing the recall says there are 1000 units. I thought it was weird that there's a "recalls" section you can get to from the main Civia website, but there are only 7 recalls there. And the CPC website only has a handful of recalls. So :shrugemoji:

DTSB
City Center

Postby DTSB » April 27th, 2016, 11:53 am

My old bike is nearing 10 years old, and only cost me a bit over $200 new, so it wasn't that great to begin with. I've been thinking of a new bike for a while but I don't really have any idea where to start.

Some random looking at a few bike shops sites and now I'm interested in Civia. Looks like they're relaunching all new models this spring, but in general I like their concept that they're making plain "bikes" for getting around. Seems to embody the dutch cycle model but made here in the Twin Cities.

Any thoughts or recommendations on bike shopping?
Another locally made bike you could check out: http://www.handsomecycles.com/

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » February 27th, 2017, 11:28 am

Wanted to revive this post as I would like to purchase a bike and want to get something that will be easier on my aging back than my mountain bike, would like to sit more up-right. I'd like to keep it as economical as possible too, so looking at used bikes pretty much, but not exclusively. Wondering if anyone has any more suggestions to add to the already mentioned stores and vendors listed here.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 27th, 2017, 11:54 am

How much are you willing to spend? What kind of bars do you want? I was going to suggest that you try a Civia. The North Loop is great if you can find it!

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » February 27th, 2017, 12:21 pm

I was looking at a lot of upright riding bikes last year and I've settled on the Raleigh Haskell. Seems like the best low-maintenance, upright option with an internal hub. Looking to buy one this summer.

http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/urban/classics/haskell
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 27th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Since I started this, might as well update everyone, I ended up (finally) ordering a bike last week, the Priority Continuum. Getting used to the different riding position from my old hybrid, but it's certainly lighter, and I look forward to doing less maintenance.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » February 27th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas everyone.
How much are you willing to spend? What kind of bars do you want? I was going to suggest that you try a Civia. The North Loop is great if you can find it!
I would like to stay under $400.00, ideally, if I go new, under $300.00 if I can find something worthwhile used. The handle bars on the Civia Lowry look about right for me.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » February 27th, 2017, 1:18 pm

Since I started this, might as well update everyone, I ended up (finally) ordering a bike last week, the Priority Continuum. Getting used to the different riding position from my old hybrid, but it's certainly lighter, and I look forward to doing less maintenance.
Oooh, you should do a review after a little while.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » February 27th, 2017, 1:42 pm

One other thing I need, a good lock. Any body have experiences to tell about their locks?

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » February 27th, 2017, 1:52 pm

A small high quality u lock is the ticket. Larger locks are less secure because cutting and prying tools are easier to use on a loose lock.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 27th, 2017, 1:55 pm

I would like to stay under $400.00, ideally, if I go new, under $300.00 if I can find something worthwhile used. The handle bars on the Civia Lowry look about right for me.
This may be pointing out the obvious, but as mentioned above Sunrise Cyclery at 29th and Blaisdell had a ton of used bike when last I was there (awhile ago), in what looked to me to be varying levels of condition.

Otherwise The Hub on Minnehaha always has a good number of used bikes, as does Recovery Bike Shop on Central NE at Lowry.

I'm not sure how big of an inventory you'll necessarily find at any given time, but I also like to plug Full Cycle, on Chicago just south of 35th, because it's a non-profit that works with homeless youth.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » February 27th, 2017, 2:02 pm

A small high quality u lock is the ticket. Larger locks are less secure because cutting and prying tools are easier to use on a loose lock.
Yep. Multiple small u-locks are best as long as you can stand the extra weight, because cutting/prying time is basically linear. Be sure to lock both the frame and the rear wheel together too if you have an internal hub, as that will often be worth as much as the rest of the bike combined.