Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Silophant

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby Silophant » March 14th, 2017, 10:55 am

Very much so. As far as I know, all we've got for actual public bathrooms downtown are at Target Field Station (intermittently open, don't seem to have posted hours), the library (open decently late on weeknights, not so much on weekends), City Hall/Government Center (business hours) and the Commons (24/7, but Portapotties).
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 14th, 2017, 12:42 pm

Thrivent has (had?) quality bathrooms accessible to the public on street level next to the auditorium and skyway level near the cafeteria.

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » March 14th, 2017, 2:43 pm

Very much so. As far as I know, all we've got for actual public bathrooms downtown are at Target Field Station (intermittently open, don't seem to have posted hours), the library (open decently late on weeknights, not so much on weekends), City Hall/Government Center (business hours) and the Commons (24/7, but Portapotties).
The Haff Ramp has restrooms. The portable toilets at the commons are locked except for game days as far as I know.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 14th, 2017, 9:10 pm

New donut place opening this spring in the City Center skyway.

http://www.journalmpls.com/news/biz-buz ... ty-center/

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » March 15th, 2017, 9:02 am

The Common's bathrooms are open during "park hours." You think all those Super Bowl fans coming would need to use the restroom?

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » March 15th, 2017, 9:46 am

Recently I took my grandma on an outing (she's wheelchair-bound) (her first time taking the light rail), and while she enjoyed it, as someone who doesn't live or work in downtown Minneapolis, it was difficult trying to find a bathroom she could use anywhere. Luckily we found the bathrooms at Target Field station, which were a floor down, underneath a bridge, and between two buildings.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 15th, 2017, 12:12 pm

Tiller, you should send this as a letter to DID and copy the Mayor and the downtown CM's. I know this would be a fairly expensive undertaking and require constant maintenance and supervision, but it's a really critical baseline livability concern for downtown visitors.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 15th, 2017, 12:26 pm

Indeed. As far as maintenance and supervision goes, the DID ambassadors already exist, and seem to be performing that function at the Commons.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » March 15th, 2017, 4:31 pm

My building has a public bathroom, but it's tucked away in such a way that you wouldn't know it exists unless someone told you.

Downtown is in serious need of actual public bathrooms. I worked at the DT Target for a brief window during college and that bathroom was a microcosm of society's ills and our failure to address them.
Can you PLEASE tell us? It's so difficult to visit downtown without having a place to use a bathroom without having to go a very long distance.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » March 16th, 2017, 9:27 am

My building has a public bathroom, but it's tucked away in such a way that you wouldn't know it exists unless someone told you.

Downtown is in serious need of actual public bathrooms. I worked at the DT Target for a brief window during college and that bathroom was a microcosm of society's ills and our failure to address them.
Can you PLEASE tell us? It's so difficult to visit downtown without having a place to use a bathroom without having to go a very long distance.
I’m in US Bank Plaza. There’s a bathroom tucked in a hallway by the Atlas restaurant. It’s kind of weird because it’s a hallway that also includes doors for a business or two, but there is another set of doors that lead to a bathroom.

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » March 16th, 2017, 11:43 am

There is one in 333 7th St too.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 16th, 2017, 11:49 am

Pretty sure there's a similar one on the skyway level of IDS by the Bank of America branch, but I've never tested it since Barnes and Noble and Macy's are (soon to be were, I guess) both a skyway away.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » March 16th, 2017, 12:01 pm

100 S Washington has a public restroom on the fourth floor.

Unless I'm in a sit down restaurant or crunched for time I walk to lifetime target center.

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » March 16th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Target is planning on adding a liquor store at it's downtown store.

http://m.startribune.com/target-applies ... ection=%2F

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 20th, 2017, 10:38 pm

Nordstrom Rack is coming along. They've gutted out the space along Nicollet and added some escalators.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 21st, 2017, 10:23 am

Target is planning on adding a liquor store at it's downtown store.

http://m.startribune.com/target-applies ... ection=%2F
I wonder where that'll go. In the space of the current Pizza Hut/café? Further south on Nicollet?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 21st, 2017, 10:46 am

State law would require that it have a separate entrance accessible to the street (or skyway perhaps...I'd have to read the exact wording of the statute). It can also be accessible from inside Target, but must be fully enclosed & have doors that close it off from the store, etc (see Uptown Kowalskis, Midway Target, etc)

I'm sure this is not the plan, but how cool would it be if they opened the liquor store in one of those forever vacant (possibly fake?) retail spaces at Lasalle & 9th or Lasalle & 10th?

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » March 21st, 2017, 10:51 am

It will almost certainly go in the Target Cafe/Pizza Hut space. AFAIK, they're kind of phasing Target Cafe out of their stores in favor of healthier-looking brands (The NE location at the Quarry has a Freshii), so the space would likely need to be updated with the redo anyway. Starbucks continues to be a Target staple, so I don't see them going anywhere (and moving Starbucks to the main floor would seem to be a mistake given traffic patterns and its ease of access for corporate employees that want coffee).

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 21st, 2017, 11:18 am

That would be great to see it on LaSalle, but xandrex is probably right. A greasy Pizza Hut doesn't​ really fit with their new image.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » March 21st, 2017, 11:34 am

The Target Cafe/Pizza Hut is already closed off. Unfortunately, I'm sure Target sees that space as a nuisance due to the people that hang out there, so I bet they're pretty excited to get rid of it.