[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
cnelson
City Center

Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby cnelson » March 29th, 2017, 7:39 am

It's only a matter of time before World Street Kitchen opens a second location too, right?

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » April 18th, 2017, 7:07 am

Reading the comments on the Portillo's article on the Strib, someone commented that Giordano's was failing. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 18th, 2017, 2:45 pm

It sure isn't very busy. And there's better pizza to be had in the area. I mean, we went to Giordano's in Chicago a couple of years ago and I remember much better tasting stuff than what the Uptown location serves. Must be the water.

Most of their business seems to be takeout and I'll bet that's where the least profit is. People actually eating in the restaurant likely order higher-margin stuff (drinks, appetizers, etc.).

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » April 18th, 2017, 3:07 pm

It was packed when it opened, but the past couple of times I've been there (both for lunch), it has not been busy. I went to the Richfield location for dinner a couple of months ago, though, and it was very busy. I wonder if that location is taking some business away from the Uptown one?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 18th, 2017, 3:14 pm

I really suspect it's competition within Uptown rather than the Richfield location. Honestly, there's just better stuff to eat, pizza and otherwise. Plus the location is not great for walk-up business.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » April 18th, 2017, 8:29 pm

What I meant was that if someone specifically wanted to go to Giordano's, they might choose the Richfield one over Uptown since it is a bit easier to get to, there's more parking, etc. I don't know if that's a lot of people necessarily, but the chain certainly has its hard-core loyalists (my SO, being from Chicago, is one -- we've dined at several locations there and both of the ones here). I agree that, within Uptown, there's a lot of competition.

fittdogg
Block E

Postby fittdogg » April 19th, 2017, 11:21 am

There is a new Indian restaurant called Emperor of India, which is set to open in the Prairie Dogs space in May.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 19th, 2017, 1:22 pm

Good luck to them. That spot is totally cursed.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » April 19th, 2017, 2:37 pm

Source?

fittdogg
Block E

Postby fittdogg » April 19th, 2017, 7:20 pm

Source?
There are signs on the windows looking for employees. There's also a website if you Google the name. http://emperorofindiamn.com/

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 20th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Did we know that Red Cow is going into the old Green Mill space? I just heard this on the radio and wasn't sure if it's old news or not.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » April 21st, 2017, 3:11 pm

Did we know that Red Cow is going into the old Green Mill space? I just heard this on the radio and wasn't sure if it's old news or not.
That's great, but leads me to the question, how many Red Cows can this city support? The two in Minneapolis currently are far enough apart to not cannibalize each other. My feeling is one smack dab between the two would do exactly that. But hey, if they can pull it off, more power to em.

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » April 21st, 2017, 3:43 pm

That's great, but leads me to the question, how many Red Cows can this city support? The two in Minneapolis currently are far enough apart to not cannibalize each other. My feeling is one smack dab between the two would do exactly that. But hey, if they can pull it off, more power to em.
The one at 50th and France draws mostly from the suburbs and the suburban style areas of southwest Minneapolis. The one downtown draws primarily from people going to events or a night out downtown (most downtown restaurants and bars do). The one in St Paul draws from the east metro. In theory the one in Uptown should draw from inner south Minneapolis and Loring Park, which is an area rich in diners (singles, DINKs, yuppies and retirees). They originally intended the Uptown location to be their second but it took them a while to get it. Going forward, the market will probably be saturated in the metro, they will probably look to regional markets like Rochester, Eau Claire, Fargo and Duluth.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 21st, 2017, 6:27 pm

Maybe Wayzata fits their target?

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » April 21st, 2017, 6:39 pm

Maybe Wayzata fits their target?
When I worked for them they had no plans in the Twin Cities beyond the four stores. If you are looking to sell a small restaurant chain, going regional makes it more valuable than having a saturation presence in one metro. The brand itself is a major source of value, so you have to spread it.

Plans could have changed, it has been a few years since I was at Red Cow. Generally speaking, Wayzata is a tough market in terms of labor cost and hiring. Operators go out there because there is a lot of affluence, but it is hard to make money because that affluence prices out the kitchen staff. You have to pay a premium to get them to work out there, or hire high school students *shudder*

There is a reason why independents and local chains tend to cluster in the core cities and inner suburbs. Most cooks don't own cars. If you want to hire cooks in an autocentric environment you have to pay them enough to own one.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 21st, 2017, 10:17 pm

That makes ... so much sense. Thanks for explaining it to an outsider.

uptown067
Metrodome

Postby uptown067 » April 22nd, 2017, 8:59 am

The thing here is that the amount of locations tends to be negatively correlated with the cool/hip factor. Most people living in these locations want a unique experience vs. going to what amounts to an urban-oriented applebees that everyone goes too (granted much better food).

The folks behind Freehouse, The Lowry, Edina Grill understood this, which is why you don't locations with the same name, even though they're all fairly similar.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 22nd, 2017, 3:36 pm

On the other hand, it's a well known, good local restaurant chain in a neighborhood where no shortage of new concepts have failed in recent years.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 3rd, 2017, 9:10 am

Looks like the Falafel King space had about a half million dollars worth of new commercial kitchen HVAC equipment going in this morning.

I'd heard from somebody at the Country Bar that the people that own the building gave up on trying to rent the space and are going to put in their own BBQ restaurant, but it sounds like they don't really have any restaurant experience, so could be dicey. Also, take the fourth hand rumor for what it's worth.

grandpastyle
Block E

Postby grandpastyle » May 3rd, 2017, 9:23 am

Looks like it's under review for the license named GREAT NORTHERN SMOKEHOUSE. Name might get more internet search hits if the festival ever takes off.
http://apps.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/PIApp/ ... 2824110185