Minneapolis City Council and Park Board Elections 2017

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Minneapolis City Council and Park Board Elections 2017

Postby mattaudio » April 5th, 2017, 9:23 am

My precinct 11-4 had maybe 2 or 3 people outwardly supporting Quincy, 5 or 6 with Mauter stickers, and 12-14 with Schroeder swag.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » April 5th, 2017, 9:33 am

It will be an interesting ward convention. I like both Erica and Jeremy but my question is whether either can actually beat an incumbent with establishment support and how much weight to put on diversity.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 5th, 2017, 2:26 pm

It sounds like Schiff had a pretty bad night, and had Farah a pretty good one.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 5th, 2017, 3:06 pm

Wards 1 and 11 are pretty interesting. Both have two good challengers, running against boring but mostly reliable incumbents. I don't think Quincy or Reich are necessarily bad councilmembers, but neither stand out as especially good ones either. They both have black marks from the bike crowd for various votes they've taken, especially 3rd Avenue downtown. In the current political climate, it seems that being an incumbent who is slightly to the center of their challenger(s) is a tough position to argue from, even if you've mostly done a good job for your constituents. For a challenger to walk away with the endorsement (let's say Pessenda in 1 and Schroeder in 11, for the sake of argument) the other challengers (Zach Welfel in 1 and Erica Mauter in 11) are going to have to pull a selfless move (a la Kendal Killian in 2013) and endorse the other challenger. That looks to be the only way an endorsement will happen in any of these wards with multiple challengers.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » April 22nd, 2017, 1:52 pm

Ward 7 DFL convention ends with no endorsement.
https://twitter.com/janneformpls/status ... 9003110401

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 23rd, 2017, 12:54 am

Ward 4 also did not endorse, and the Ward 5 endorsement went to Jeremiah Ellison. Big day for progressives.

http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis- ... 420160933/
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 23rd, 2017, 3:45 pm

Huge.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 3rd, 2017, 9:16 am

Zach Wefel is ending his campaign for Ward 1 CM. Not a surprise after the convention results, but a shame nonetheless since he seems to be the only YIMBY candidate from that ward.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 3rd, 2017, 10:04 am

Any word if Erica Mauter is ending her campaign in 11? She didn't have as poor a showing as Wefel, but came in third at the convention last weekend. There's not a clear path to victory for her. Would Jeremy Schroeder have gotten the nomination if she had pulled a Kendal Killian and endorsed? It's the right move if you're true concern is unseating the incumbent (not getting yourself elected).

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 3rd, 2017, 10:35 am

Sounds like she wants to be in it for the long haul. I know Mauter was disqualified after the second round because she didn't meet the viability threshold (20% after the second ballot). I don't think they held a 3rd ballot though, to see what her delegates would have done, because she wanted no endorsement rather than a not-quincy endorsement.

Kind of disappointing, because I think I might prefer her over Schroeder, but I'm more interested in not-quincy than I am Erica specifically. We'll see what the future holds.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 3rd, 2017, 12:02 pm

She's not ending her campaign, which is fine by me.

After the second ballot (but before results were announced, suspiciously) her people and Quincy's people moved to suspend rules allowing for adjourning without endorsement. That motion failed rather significantly due to the large camps of people who thought "that's what we're here for, right?" and the group of Schroeder supporters who wanted to see how things would shake out with a third ballot. There had also been some questions about delegate count vs ballot count, resulting in re-credentialing everyone (writing down names in each precinct section) after the second ballot. After it was clear that there was nothing nearly as fishy as some had originally suspected and the second ballot results were trustworthy, then Mauter was dropped with 15.3% (20% threshold to continue to the third ballot).

On the third ballot, Mauter led her people to vote No Endorsement. Schroeder got 47.5%, Quincy got 43.5%, and No Endorsement got 9%. After this, it was clear to most people that Jeremy wasn't going to get 60% for endorsement even if you added in the Mauter/No Endorsement crowd, so the vast majority of people were okay proceeding to suspend rules and adjourn without endorsement.

I was actually surprised by a number of people who were Mauter supporters but who did not necessarily support Schroeder over Quincy. It made no sense to me - I figured we have people who prefer Mauter or Schroeder first at this point, but virtually all would support the other over Quincy. I don't think this will be a huge factor in November, but it was still a surprise.

I see Quincy's path to victory as extremely difficult right now, but honestly he could very well end up getting the conservative vote in Ward 11 if there aren't any semi-serious non-DFL candidates who enter the race. That said, I wonder if Mauter or Schroeder will win based on Quincy voters' second choice on the ballot.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 3rd, 2017, 12:44 pm

I see Quincy's path to victory as extremely difficult right now, but honestly he could very well end up getting the conservative vote in Ward 11 if there aren't any semi-serious non-DFL candidates who enter the race. That said, I wonder if Mauter or Schroeder will win based on Quincy voters' second choice on the ballot.
If by conservative, you mean slightly left of moderate DFLers, then yes.

Caucuses aren't at all representative of the voters at large, of course.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » May 3rd, 2017, 4:06 pm

Kind of disappointing, because I think I might prefer her over Schroeder, but I'm more interested in not-quincy than I am Erica specifically. We'll see what the future holds.
I'm most interested in non-Quincy, and I like them both. Typically, I'd say a more-or-less tie on substance would lead me to pick the candidate that provides some diversity. Which is why I'm okay with her staying in the race (as we have ranked choice voting) even though I voted for Schroeder at the convention. I just think that so far Schroeder seems like he has a better chance to win (and definitely had more people at the convention).

I do think she could have tipped the endorsement to Jeremy had she asked her people to do that, although it might still have been a stretch to get to 60%. That would have eliminated Quincy, but I can see why she'd prefer no endorsement (btw, she's said she reads streets.mn, but I don't know if she get into these forums). ETA: And would have required some Quincy attrition.
Last edited by amiller92 on May 3rd, 2017, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » May 3rd, 2017, 4:08 pm

I see Quincy's path to victory as extremely difficult right now
An incumbent who can't break 50% at his party's convention would seem like he's in trouble. But then he's the incumbent and may do better among less engaged voters.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 6th, 2017, 10:25 am

Will Jaeger is really stumbling through his pitch speech to W12. Incredibly embarrassing for him. The room was very kind in applauding him applauding him off stage. This dude has no idea what he's doing. I'm not sure if he has a single supporter here.

EDIT: Andrew Johnson was endorsed on the first ballot. 198-1. Ouch.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 7th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Anyone have vote tallies for the Ward 3 convention?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 7th, 2017, 4:12 pm

Wedgelive reporting 161-109-7.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 9th, 2017, 8:40 am

Ward 3 - Fletcher wins DFL endorsement in race to replace Jacob Frey on Minneapolis City Council
https://www.minnpost.com/politics-polic ... city-counc
Fletcher at one point suggested that any developer seeking a variance would need to show how they were helping add affordable housing in the city.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 9th, 2017, 10:15 pm

K
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » May 10th, 2017, 7:31 am

At the Ward 2 convention there was no endorsement. I don't think that got mentioned here yet.