Bloomington - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Bloomington - General Topics

Postby mattaudio » September 1st, 2016, 2:11 pm

What a ridiculous article, assuming that travel downtown necessitates "parking fees." Only for people who choose to drive.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » September 1st, 2016, 2:15 pm

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 1st, 2016, 2:24 pm

It's not going to connect to Bloomington Civic Plaza, unless you count a 15 minute walk through a baron Bloomingtonized hellscape as "connectivity."

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » September 1st, 2016, 10:34 pm

It's seven short blocks, about exactly half a mile. If a 10-minute walk to rapid transit isn't "connected", I don't know what is. (The Bloomington right from EB Old Shakopee to EB 98th is obscene. Notwithstanding that major flaw, it's not the worst pedestrian environment. South side even has a decent boulevard, some intermittent shade, etc)

Of course, my point was more that if you can get to Civic Plaza, you can get to the Orange Line station at Oxboro and ride downtown -- they're in the same general vicinity. Or just suck it up and pay a few more bucks to park downtown.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » September 8th, 2016, 7:29 pm

Could anyone here recommend some options for Chinese (or really any Asian cuisine) food delivery in Bloomington? If it matters I'm in E Bloomington by the Mall (just moved a few days ago). Googling this issue, I haven't found any restaurants that list that they deliver online yet. Thanks for any help.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 8th, 2016, 9:34 pm

Could anyone here recommend some options for Chinese (or really any Asian cuisine) food delivery in Bloomington? If it matters I'm in E Bloomington by the Mall (just moved a few days ago). Googling this issue, I haven't found any restaurants that list that they deliver online yet. Thanks for any help.
https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2467

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 24th, 2016, 6:20 pm

The Bloomington city council voted for moving the suburban county courts to the Civic Plaza from the Southdale complex.

http://current.mnsun.com/2016/09/22/blo ... -facility/

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 4th, 2016, 8:03 pm

Another (small, well located) mobile home park is closing as the owner looks to other land uses: http://kstp.com/news/bloomington-mobile ... e/4281106/

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 23rd, 2016, 12:51 pm

Bloomington hopes for a clean transition into organized trash collection (amid lawsuit)

At least half the comments are people supportive of organized collection and happy to have fewer trucks rumbling down their streets. Common sense prevails.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » January 10th, 2017, 3:39 pm

Water Park of America is closing for renovations and the new owners are laying off staff

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... se-at.html

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 17th, 2017, 9:01 pm

The Normandale Blvd. trail and road project has had work started.

http://current.mnsun.com/2017/01/14/nor ... e-squeeze/

Major work, including median construction and dedicated turn lanes, will begin in April. Work should be over in November.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 18th, 2017, 10:21 am

Hennepin County Court Facility Plans: http://meetings.bloomingtonmn.gov:8080/ ... /36835.doc

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » May 2nd, 2017, 9:57 am

Hy-Vee submits the only bid for the site at 700 American Blvd W, which is near the intersection of 35W and 494.

http://finance-commerce.com/2017/05/hy- ... gton-site/

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 2nd, 2017, 10:06 am

How in the world does a prominent site like that only attract a single bid? Sounds like a botched process to me.

uptown82
Block E

Postby uptown82 » May 2nd, 2017, 10:18 am

Anyone able to view the unlocked article? Whats the scoop on this? A new Hy-Vee in Bloomington would be awesome! This would not be good for the Cub 4 blocks down Lyndale though.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 2nd, 2017, 10:34 am

Yep, sounds like it would be more of a supersized convenience store & gas station, and not a full-line grocery store. No word on the size of the store building yet. With this site being just 80k sq ft (1.85 acres), the entire site is actually smaller than some Hyvee stores. While a gas station would no doubt be disappointing here, the article also notes that there used to be a gas station here, and there could be pollution issues. The city was really hoping for a hotel or office proposal here...I'd venture that approval of the Hyvee is not guaranteed. The city obviously holds all the cards, as the owner of the property.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 2nd, 2017, 10:55 am

A HyVee gas station would fit perfectly next to American Stroad! Neighborhood character!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 2nd, 2017, 11:06 am

With this site being just 80k sq ft (1.85 acres), the entire site is actually smaller than some Hyvee stores... The city obviously holds all the cards, as the owner of the property.
I may be misremembering, but isn't there also a privately owned parcel immediately adjacent to the city owned site that the city was suggesting should be co-developed?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 2nd, 2017, 1:22 pm

Kinda. 900 American Blvd W. But that's on the other side of the driveway into REI. Still owned by Topline Credit Union, which never got built. At this point, they probably have no intention of building there and are also looking for a buyer. Kinda surprised they haven't sold it back to the city by now...they purchased the site in 2008.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » May 2nd, 2017, 6:27 pm

Yep, sounds like it would be more of a supersized convenience store & gas station, and not a full-line grocery store. No word on the size of the store building yet. With this site being just 80k sq ft (1.85 acres), the entire site is actually smaller than some Hyvee stores. While a gas station would no doubt be disappointing here, the article also notes that there used to be a gas station here, and there could be pollution issues. The city was really hoping for a hotel or office proposal here...I'd venture that approval of the Hyvee is not guaranteed. The city obviously holds all the cards, as the owner of the property.
That's really disappointing, and I hope the city declines a gas station for this site. Office would be better, but they really set the bar low with that Toro site. You know, the one at the corner of American and Lyndale that is an 800-foot walk from the actual corner to the front door. Staggeringly poor use of the site. I hope the city has higher standards for a publicly owned site.