Downtown Minneapolis Restaurant News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Restaurant News

Postby SixOneTwo » March 31st, 2017, 1:01 pm

Two restaurant concepts coming to North Loop's Maytag building

Paywalled article: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ml?ana=twt

From what I heard a few weeks ago, it should be a ground level restaurant with a basement bar.

reeckman
Metrodome

Postby reeckman » April 6th, 2017, 10:10 am

Apparently I missed the news that Marin closed and is in the process of becoming something else. Mercy, I think it was.
Correct! And definitely noteworthy.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... idien.html

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 6th, 2017, 2:38 pm

They've done some odd remodeling on the exterior. They've overlaid the windows with faux muntins. It's bizarre
And the white courtyard enclosure is gone.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 9th, 2017, 7:45 pm

There's white sheeting covering the windows of the old Cosi space in the IDS Center.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

marquette
Block E

Postby marquette » April 15th, 2017, 6:32 pm

There's white sheeting covering the windows of the old Cosi space in the IDS Center.
Roti is going in...modern mediterranean chain mostly in chicago and dc..about 30 total

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Postby SixOneTwo » April 17th, 2017, 12:03 pm

Two restaurant concepts coming to North Loop's Maytag building

Paywalled article: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ml?ana=twt

From what I heard a few weeks ago, it should be a ground level restaurant with a basement bar.
More info:

http://northloop.org/two-restaurant-con ... uilding-2/

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 21st, 2017, 2:47 pm

The Strib on the "eatertainery" coming to North Loop's 515 Washington Ave N.

http://www.startribune.com/new-restaura ... 419979613/

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » April 24th, 2017, 7:56 pm

Haskells wine bar in the old Dunn bros space...perfect fit.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ormer.html

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » May 8th, 2017, 8:45 pm

Cardigan Donuts opens Thursday according to the sign on the door.

secchamps
Block E

Postby secchamps » May 31st, 2017, 11:40 am

Toast Wine Bar closed last night. Such a shock.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 6th, 2017, 8:50 am

New Bohemia is opening a location in the eastern Wells Fargo tower. Or, I guess, the Edition building in front of it.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » June 6th, 2017, 9:05 am

Sweet.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 6th, 2017, 9:43 am

I know the forum hates encouraging people to drive, but I think that for some of these areas to thrive on non-game days, they need to bring down off-peak parking rates. Sure, it makes sense to charge $100 to park in the Mills Fleet Farm ramp on game day, and it probably makes sense to charge $15 during business hours, but does it really make sense to charge $6 during the evening on a non-event day when the ramp is 95% empty?

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » June 6th, 2017, 2:26 pm

I heard from a store owner downtown that Mc Cormick and Schmick's is closing...don't think I've seen anything confirming yet, so put that down as a rumor for now. If so...they aren't amazing or anything, but unless something else is lined up pretty quick it is yet another depressing empty spot. They are also a pretty standard go to business dinner/lunch spot in a lot of downtowns, so it kind of surprises me, though I know they have left a few others. But as I say...that may be totally untrue, just a rumor.
Last edited by mnmike on June 6th, 2017, 2:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » June 6th, 2017, 2:34 pm

I know the forum hates encouraging people to drive, but I think that for some of these areas to thrive on non-game days, they need to bring down off-peak parking rates. Sure, it makes sense to charge $100 to park in the Mills Fleet Farm ramp on game day, and it probably makes sense to charge $15 during business hours, but does it really make sense to charge $6 during the evening on a non-event day when the ramp is 95% empty?
You'd think these ramps would have much lower off-peak prices, yes (although at $8 all day if you're in by 9am isn't terrible for a weekday rate).

I don't think it will make any meaningful difference to New Bohemia, though, as I'd imagine the vast bulk of its business will be (1) people already parked for work, (2) local residents, (3) people arriving by train or other transit, and (4) people who park on the street during off-peak times.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 6th, 2017, 2:56 pm

I don't think it will make any meaningful difference to New Bohemia, though, as I'd imagine the vast bulk of its business will be (1) people already parked for work, (2) local residents, (3) people arriving by train or other transit, and (4) people who park on the street during off-peak times.
This is probably true to some extent, but I think that in order for the Commons and the restaurants that surround it to really be an exciting and active space, you're going to need people coming in from other parts of the city. And in order for that to happen, it needs to be easy and price-appropriate to park in the area.

At the moment, it's going to be cheaper to park on the street unless you're going to be there for a long time, but that's backwards -- it should be cheaper to park in the ramp, thereby leaving more expensive street spots open for convenience use. We really don't want people circling the streets looking for metered spots -- we want them to drive straight to the ramp, and then walk the block or so to their final destination.

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » June 6th, 2017, 4:53 pm

I heard from a store owner downtown that Mc Cormick and Schmick's is closing...don't think I've seen anything confirming yet, so put that down as a rumor for now. If so...they aren't amazing or anything, but unless something else is lined up pretty quick it is yet another depressing empty spot. They are also a pretty standard go to business dinner/lunch spot in a lot of downtowns, so it kind of surprises me, though I know they have left a few others. But as I say...that may be totally untrue, just a rumor.
While that would certainly be a bummer, boy would I not be surprised. Those places are embarrassments to the name in my opinion. The original was truly great - 20 years ago (now closed as well). Pretty hard to chain-ify a seafood place I imagine. Basically impossible to maintain quality over cooking seafood in a whole bunch of restaurants I gotta imagine.

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » June 6th, 2017, 7:58 pm

Street parking is free 6 pm to 8 am weekdays and all weekend at almost every space downtown east of Marquette and west of Portland. Check out the map of the meters:

http://cityoflakes.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... ce7fee4280

Unless there is an event rate in effect you never have to pay for off peak parking downtown if you don't want to.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 7th, 2017, 9:25 am

Indeed there are a number of spots in that area, but I'd expect that loophole will (and should be) closed pretty quickly.

cnelson
City Center

Postby cnelson » June 7th, 2017, 2:39 pm

All the meters near the stadium are 8am- 10pm including weekends. Not sure what the new ramp is charging, but the surface lots are still pretty cheap in this area. The one at Portland and 3rd is $2 for nights and weekends, the one at Park and Washington is $5. (and day rates are more like $7-12, not $15.)