420 East Hennepin

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
MNdible
is great.

Re: 420 E Hennepin Ave

Postby MNdible » June 5th, 2017, 4:58 pm

Working with City of Lakes land trust for 20% of units to be an "approachable" cost is a win. Still pretty high approachable cost at ~ $185 per square foot, though the "market" cost units are $300+ PSF. Is that where the DT condo market is right now?
One can buy an unsubsidized 1BR condo in an older building for less than $200k.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 5th, 2017, 9:29 pm

*yawn*

The 10'x20' glass garage door next to Whitey's certainly is something.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » June 6th, 2017, 10:36 am

Interesting that the write-up in that presentation says 11 floors of condos over commercial, but the rendering definitely shows 10 floors total.
That isn't the only inconsistency. The written description says "2 Levels of sub-terrain parking for public (105 Proposed Stalls)" and "3 levels of above ground parking for residents (156 Stalls)", Based on the numbers, that is two full floors of underground parking and three FULL floors of above ground parking. None of the above ground parking shown in the rendering. If they have first floor commercial with a three floor parking podium and then 11 floors of condos, then the actual building will be 15 floors, not the 10 floors shown in the image. Also, I doubt a three level parking podium would be as attractive as the nice residential units shown here.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 6th, 2017, 10:46 am

It's not about the style. It's principle. Should an entire area be built by a singular firm in a small era ? This isn't a small town.
What do you think maybe less than .5% of residents know any architect of any project unless it is a big starchitect project and even then I'd say it's less than 25%. It being about style would definitely be a better principle argument. No one will ever know.

Southside
City Center

Postby Southside » June 7th, 2017, 8:46 am

It's not about the style. It's principle. Should an entire area be built by a singular firm in a small era ? This isn't a small town.
I don't see a problem with using a single firm for an area. The west side of Nicollet Mall from 8th-11th street is all Ellerbe Becket and I would argue that it's one of the better looking sections of Nicollet Mall.

Record Machine
Metrodome

Postby Record Machine » June 7th, 2017, 1:56 pm

How does one offer feedback on a proposal like this? Like, what's the best way to be heard?

J2arkitekt
City Center

Postby J2arkitekt » June 7th, 2017, 2:36 pm

How does one offer feedback on a proposal like this? Like, what's the best way to be heard?
Are you a resident in the neighborhood? I would contact the neighborhood association and/or attend their meetings. That's exactly the purpose of projects being presented at those meetings.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 7th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Yeah, and contacting the CM (Jacob Frey, in this case) is usually a good idea as well (particularly if you live in the ward).

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » June 8th, 2017, 2:22 pm

I'm not unhappy about this at all.

I like the shape and more cohesive use of materials, that said if it's cement board, that's upsetting, but a cream brick would look nice.

I like the way the balconies are incorporated into the structure as well. Especially at the Hennepin and central angle.

I agree there could be better ground floor uses, but it appears that space will have some activation.

I honestly doubt changing the architect would give variety in the style... just me.
I think the building looks fairly nice. There's reason to be wary of the renderings, but it looks like the light-colored material might be tile, perhaps similar to that on 1200 Nicollet Mall.

My biggest issue with the design is how it makes poor old Whitey's look like a midget. If it were to step down to maybe four stories next to Whitey's, the building would look a great deal less oppressive. Of course, if to compensate it stepped up on the point, very nice.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 8th, 2017, 3:21 pm

My biggest issue with the design is how it makes poor old Whitey's look like a midget. If it were to step down to maybe four stories next to Whitey's, the building would look a great deal less oppressive. Of course, if to compensate it stepped up on the point, very nice.
Absolutely agree. Greater height at the NE corner wouldn't hurt, but it does have a really oppressive effect on the Whitey's building.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 8th, 2017, 7:23 pm

Up to 15 stories now. The architect on the project is Doran, surprisingly. They had to add height to accomodate a 3 story parking podium that will sit on top of the 1st floor. They're building 1 story below ground but said they could go down to 3. The developer doesn't believe the city when they tell him they don't need to building parking for commercial space, but business owners are already trying to contract those spaces out (despite empty surface lots after 6pm). He wants to break ground by Nov. 1st, which seemed very optimistic to everyone.

Any questions?

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mcgizz » June 8th, 2017, 7:26 pm

What sort of materials are we talking about?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 8th, 2017, 7:49 pm

Brick mostly. They want to match exisiting buildings as much as possible in material.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 8th, 2017, 8:14 pm

Are there liner units around the parking podium, by chance? Failing that, is there at least some kind of aesthetic treatment on the parking podium that makes it look better than, say, the Nic on 5th?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » June 9th, 2017, 7:35 am

Up to 15 stories now. The architect on the project is Doran, surprisingly. They had to add height to accomodate a 3 story parking podium that will sit on top of the 1st floor. They're building 1 story below ground but said they could go down to 3.

Any questions?

That isn't the only inconsistency. The written description says "2 Levels of sub-terrain parking for public (105 Proposed Stalls)" and "3 levels of above ground parking for residents (156 Stalls)", Based on the numbers, that is two full floors of underground parking and three FULL floors of above ground parking. None of the above ground parking shown in the rendering. If they have first floor commercial with a three floor parking podium and then 11 floors of condos, then the actual building will be 15 floors, not the 10 floors shown in the image. Also, I doubt a three level parking podium would be as attractive as the nice residential units shown here.
Called it. Now we just wait to see how oppressive and unattractive the podium is.

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » June 9th, 2017, 3:06 pm

Up to 15 stories now. The architect on the project is Doran, surprisingly. They had to add height to accomodate a 3 story parking podium that will sit on top of the 1st floor. They're building 1 story below ground but said they could go down to 3. The developer doesn't believe the city when they tell him they don't need to build parking for commercial space, but business owners are already trying to contract those spaces out (despite empty surface lots after 6pm). He wants to break ground by Nov. 1st, which seemed very optimistic to everyone.

Any questions?
Wait, what? Weren't those renderings JUST released at 10/11 stories? Did they have an alternative plan in their back pocket with the parking moved above ground?
Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 9th, 2017, 5:43 pm

The developer came in and said he needed something to show to the neighborhood, but it was mostly to present unit count. What I found very interesting is that these will be livable decks. Like with a full set of couches and chairs on every single one. I guess that's what you get when you pay $600k for a 2 bedroom+den.

Also, according to the developer, Frey told them they should keep it at or below 10 stories. Which is, a thing.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 10th, 2017, 9:48 am

What? Why? There's three or four 20+ story towers going up within two blocks.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » June 10th, 2017, 3:01 pm

#FreyForNeighborhoodCharacter

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » June 11th, 2017, 7:44 pm

That is pretty stupid if Frey really is telling the developer to limit their height.