Bicycle Infrastructure

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Bicycle Infrastructure

Postby mattaudio » May 23rd, 2017, 7:13 pm

Did we miss the 38th St decision last week? It's administrative, so the real dynamics and influences behind this decision will remain in the dark.
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 199058.pdf

Disappointing.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » May 23rd, 2017, 7:40 pm

I didn't see it until a staffer for Johnson emailed me today. Actually twice, the first time to say Public Works would decide and again saying she didn't see they already did.

Disappointing but honestly, could have been worse given the (ridiculous) opposition.

And at least the bike lane doesn't disappear entirely like at 46th & Bloomington ;) (seriously just giving you crap)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » May 26th, 2017, 10:11 am

I would like to at least see some extra paint on the road where the parking is permitted to catch the eye of drivers and slow them down, like the entire road green for that stretch. Maybe some radar speed limit signs with extra flashing lights. Stuff like that to get people to slow down where bicyclists have to merge into traffic. Are things like this hard asks?

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » May 27th, 2017, 8:40 am

In an ideal world, where bicycle infrastructure is perfect

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » May 27th, 2017, 9:36 am

When I look at this picture I think "That would be nice", but then I look again. There are no buildings, and the quadrant in the upper left looks a lot like a cornfield. I think constructing in cornfields is the only way to build this now without tearing down a lot of useful density.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » May 27th, 2017, 6:32 pm

The exact design probably won't fit in most Minneapolis intersections, but bits and pieces of it can be implemented at various major intersections, especially where two protected bikeways meet, like at Washington where it meets 3rd or the future Hennepin lanes.

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » May 27th, 2017, 8:38 pm

When I look at this picture I think "That would be nice", but then I look again. There are no buildings, and the quadrant in the upper left looks a lot like a cornfield. I think constructing in cornfields is the only way to build this now without tearing down a lot of useful density.
Oh for sure, it definitely would be a pain to put into already built up urban environments but man oh man would it be nice to have such fantastic protected bike lanes like this. That being said, I'm excited for the somewhat separate ones to be done on Washington Ave. The little raised bike area should hopefully negate the impatient people who try to use the bike lane as a 'zip ahead' lane.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » May 30th, 2017, 12:51 pm

Just think of how fast traffic could move on those wide boulevards with open sight lines. Those are some seriously wide ROWs, with no consideration for space.

I hate it.

I like cities, I like density. I'd rather see woonerfs and shared infrastructure than wide, divided infrastructure with every space dedicated to a single use. Slow those cars down, make them nervous that cars and bikes - and kids playing - could be cutting in front of them at all times. De-prioritize the travel speed and travel time of SOVs.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » May 30th, 2017, 1:16 pm

Which is why the image isn't in a developed area, probably. This looks great for something on the outskirts of a town, where all modes are travelling relatively far and value speed.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 30th, 2017, 1:19 pm

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 30th, 2017, 1:23 pm

Just want to note that the image posted is in a video game

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 30th, 2017, 2:15 pm

Doesn't look so great for pedestrians.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 30th, 2017, 2:29 pm

As a pedestrian, I find crossing a bike facility to reach a large waiting area to then cross only 2-3 lanes off vehicle traffic, where I'm much farther out into right turning cars' field of view, much better than almost all of the alternatives.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 30th, 2017, 3:01 pm

YMMV, of course. But having walked around similar facilities in the Netherlands, my experience was that it can be pretty daunting if bike traffic is heavy (and more so if space is too tight to allow a "large" waiting area).

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » May 30th, 2017, 3:55 pm

Does anyone know if there are any plans to reconstruct Franklin Avenue? I am thinking in particular of the portion between Hennepin Avenue and Hiawatha light rail. It would be wonderful to see a protected bike lane. I know that they recently added protected by Queens to Franklin Avenue as it goes over the river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 31st, 2017, 7:58 pm

The very short stretch between Hennepin and Lyndale was included in the 5-year capital request by the city for a reconstruct, and they're looking to widen the ped space (but I don't think they've presented any preliminary plans to any group yet).

I think we've talked about Franklin between Hennepin and ~Portland/Park before here somewhere. It's one of those arterials (it's also a county road) where it's really hard to say what the right design choice is. It's currently 4 lanes with sidewalk to back of curb - no boulevard space with trees, often so narrow it's not ADA-compliant (when obstructions like utility poles/etc present themselves). I know some here think 4 lanes on the bridge over I-35W are necessary because of the stacking in the eastbound direction that would make WB->SB left turns not possible, but I'm not one of them. That said, even pursuing a 4-3 everywhere else would leave room for either a bike lane OR expanded pedestrian space. You could get both if you made Franklin 2 lanes, but good luck doing that. Would a 4-3 hurt the 2's travel time? Maybe! Anyway, no good answers - would have been nice if city planners had the foresight to make Franklin 90-100' wide (rather than the 60-75' we have) a hundred years ago.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » June 1st, 2017, 7:09 am

I think the Franklin bridge over 35W is scheduled to be replaced as part of the big 35W/Lake St construction project (according to MnDOT's project page, Franklin is one of the first bridges to be reconstructed in phase one of the project). Does anyone know which government entity gets to design the layout for the new bridge? MnDOT, or Hennepin County, or some combination of both?

eazydp
Metrodome

Postby eazydp » June 24th, 2017, 7:06 am

Sharrows are the worst, enough said.

I would rate the mini-roundabout on Bike Blvds as my favorite relatively low cost improvement.

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » June 25th, 2017, 10:20 am

I like sharrows, as a somewhat newer cyclist I like seeing them on either very wide car lanes OR double car lanes, that way I know It's OK for me to bike there safely. Never had any issues so far. Sure they are not the best option but they are far better than none.