Northeast and Southeast Minneapolis - General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Northeast (and Southeast) - General Topics

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 21st, 2017, 8:28 pm

Re: the opposition....isn't there a neighborhood plan that outlines what level of development is acceptable, and in which areas? This argument gets tiresome with every new project.

Silk
Block E

Postby Silk » June 22nd, 2017, 7:52 am

Re: the opposition....isn't there a neighborhood plan that outlines what level of development is acceptable, and in which areas? This argument gets tiresome with every new project.
Indeed. This site is located in one of the few Activity Centers in Northeast, which guide for high to very high density with a mix of uses. This project fits that classification very well (especially after the addition of retail space on Marshall). The problem is that because this neighborhood (and most of northeast outside of NIEBNA) hasn't seen much recent development, people are freaking out that this will usher in a wave of similar buildings. The reality is that there are very few sites in this Activity Center that are available for development. The hearing is at 9:30 this morning. If anyone on this forum can make it, it would be great to have a few rational voices speaking from the pro-growth, pro-urbanism side.

upzoned
Block E

Postby upzoned » June 22nd, 2017, 11:13 am

Decision delayed at the meeting today after concerns over parking (what else?) were raised: https://twitter.com/WedgeLIVE/status/877932015764381696

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 22nd, 2017, 2:50 pm

Both Reich and Goodman were really acting like a couple of council members fighting to keep their seat at the table. At one moment Lisa Goodman got "offended" that they would use "affordable" when describing their decision to not build as much parking as 1:1. You'll have to see the clip when it comes on Youtube. Reich was in favor of rezoning the site BUT voted to grant the appeal. Even though this isn't his district, it follows his promises towards respecting neighborhood decisions in NE. Overall, this is one of those projects I don't think we would even be discussing continuing to another date if it wasn't an election year. There was a clear lack of reasoning. Parking, crime, affordability and community was SNO's main argument against this. Oh an traffic. Apparently there will be more traffic if this is allowed, but at the same time they're appealing a variance for parking. None of it made sense. I think LHENA had more of an argument about the Healy house than this parking lot.

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » June 22nd, 2017, 6:40 pm

Definitely makes me feel less likely to vote for Reich.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 22nd, 2017, 6:54 pm

And, if I was reading the Wedge Live thread correctly, the current version of the project doesn't even ask for a parking variance, but supplies 12 spots more than the minimum. Hopefully, now that it's been proven not to help, the developer scraps those extra spots and goes back to minimum or subminimum parking.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Brenns
City Center

Postby Brenns » June 23rd, 2017, 11:56 am

Unfortunately, as of the convention his only real opponent seems to have acquired absolutely zero knowledge of city planning or zoning. She could not name a single committee when asked in the Q&A session.

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » June 23rd, 2017, 1:21 pm

Unfortunately, as of the convention his only real opponent seems to have acquired absolutely zero knowledge of city planning or zoning. She could not name a single committee when asked in the Q&A session.
It's too bad that Wefel never got more traction.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 23rd, 2017, 1:53 pm

Yep. I follow him on Twitter. Dude knows his stuff.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 23rd, 2017, 3:13 pm

Indeed. This site is located in one of the few Activity Centers in Northeast, which guide for high to very high density with a mix of uses. This project fits that classification very well (especially after the addition of retail space on Marshall). The problem is that because this neighborhood (and most of northeast outside of NIEBNA) hasn't seen much recent development, people are freaking out that this will usher in a wave of similar buildings. The reality is that there are very few sites in this Activity Center that are available for development. The hearing is at 9:30 this morning. If anyone on this forum can make it, it would be great to have a few rational voices speaking from the pro-growth, pro-urbanism side.
Appreciate that background! Frustrating though, as it sounds like the developers are playing within the rules and yet there's opposition that is being considered by the council. I also thought that, though opinions are definitely welcome, the councils job had less to do with dictating who or what goes where, just as long as they play within the rules.....the guidelines set by the council.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 27th, 2017, 9:58 am

I also thought that, though opinions are definitely welcome, the councils job had less to do with dictating who or what goes where, just as long as they play within the rules.....the guidelines set by the council.
Indeed, wouldn't stopping this this run afoul of "arbitrary and capricious," which has burned Goodman before?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 9th, 2017, 4:38 pm

Wow, Sheridan is hot. Solhem has a new 98 unit proposal on the triangle block between Broadway and the 1029 bar.
http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 203228.pdf

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 9th, 2017, 10:24 pm

Without ground floor commercial I can see the neighborhood resisting this hard.

Maybe the city could ask the developers if the city granted them approval to go right up to the property line, no moronic side yard setbacks, if they could come back with corner retail at Marshall and Broadway.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 9th, 2017, 11:10 pm

The retail at Crescent Trace a block east has never been successful.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

BruiserB
City Center

Postby BruiserB » August 24th, 2017, 2:42 pm

There's is a proposed redevelopment of the Holiday/White Castle in the upcoming Marcy-Holmes land use committee agenda. This is the one right at the crossroads of Hennepin and Central. The person listed to talk about the "redevelopment" is a representative from Holiday, so don't get your hopes up. I remember hearing a little chatter about this site and how the 2 want to merge together, almost making like a highway stop Holiday with a White Castle. I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't go anywhere.
This seems to be moving forward. Wonder what the schedule is for construction/opening. Maybe build the new Holiday first and get it open, then demolish both White Castle and existing Holiday and build the new White Castle afterwards? Or will the new White Castle sit completely outside the footprint of the existing one to allow the replacement to be built before tearing down the existing one?

Scottie
City Center

Postby Scottie » August 24th, 2017, 3:09 pm

A coworker of mine who goes to White Castle for lunch several times a month said that employees told him they would build the new restaurant before tearing down the old one. Not sure if they know the actual plan though.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » August 29th, 2017, 12:39 pm

Another Nicollet Ave restaurant headed across the river...

http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/fi ... /442106683

pannierpacker
Metrodome

Postby pannierpacker » August 31st, 2017, 8:43 pm

Another Nicollet Ave restaurant headed across the river...

http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/fi ... /442106683
This is great news! The Marcy Holmes Neighborhood could use a good coffee shop. The Spyhouse up on Broadway is somewhat awkwardly located due to all of the railroads, busy Central Ave, and bridges. I pretty much never walk or bike there. Taraccino closes way too early. Dinkytown has some good coffee shops, but this one on E Hennepin should serve the professional crowd much better.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 1st, 2017, 9:48 am

It'll serve a lot of people who drive on E Hennepin. Until that road is reconstructed, they won't be getting much foot traffic from the neighborhood. I occasionally cross E Hennepin on my bike, but it's such a mess that I may as well just take Monroe into Northeast.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 9th, 2017, 9:41 am

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... store.html

Apparently CostCo bought a warehouse at 3311 Broadway St. NE on Sept 1st. Say it could fit a CostCo store, which would honestly be great if they could re-use an older industrial building instead of building a whole new store.
There has been zero activity on this site since last year, with the exception of some no trespassing signs going up. Then today.... a For Lease sign

'Short-term leasing available' http://paramountre.com/wp-content/uploa ... -Mpls..pdf
There is FINALLY some movement on the old Immedia site. Trees went down this week and they've removed the whole parking lot. Permits indicate COSTCO construction has begun. http://apps.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/PIApp/ ... 2923130017 :D :D :D
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.