Minneapolis Mayoral Election 2017

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Minneapolis Mayoral Election 2017

Postby David Greene » October 10th, 2017, 11:57 am

I read it as defining the gentrification we care about as that which results in rents rising faster than an appropriate for existing units.
Isn't she more precise than that, at least in one place?
We need to flag the neighborhoods that are experiencing housing cost increases at a higher rate than the city overall – especially those with more residents of color.
That caveat is important because me sense is the Wedge, for example, easily falls under this criteria. What does it mean to mitigate gentrification in the Wedge? There's certainly a problem there in that poor people are being pushed out. That's why her calling out of new housing types is important. Right now I'm not sure we have a solution for the kind of gentrification happening in the Wedge. I don't think we have a lot of people of color being pushed out. In fact I think we have more people of color in the neighborhood than we did when I first moved there.

She also defines gentrification as displacement of people above the city average, which is not the same thing as price. Is it some combination of the two?

I just came away from that section a bit confused.
That might even be a compromise definition people can agree on. She says we should target the NOAH preservation techniques outlined elsewhere in the neighborhoods where rents are rising fastest.
That will help but we really need new housing types. Rooming houses, micro-apartments, tiny houses, "traditional" small apartment buildings, these can all play a role. None of these is "affordable" new construction by default so we'll need some way to make them so. Is anyone talking about smaller lot sizes? Land price is a huge issue in the Uptown area. I know that density is used to amortize that cost. Does it make sense to also allow lot sub-division for things like tiny houses? Maybe not in Uptown where more density is appropriate, but elsewhere? ADUs are kind of a form of this but pretty limited.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 10th, 2017, 12:54 pm

That will help but we really need new housing types. Rooming houses, micro-apartments, tiny houses, "traditional" small apartment buildings, these can all play a role.
I think she mentioned tiny houses and small apartment buildings, along with tri and quad plexes, as needed.
Is anyone talking about smaller lot sizes?
I don't think that's going to happen in any significant way. Nor are small houses on smaller individual lots going to do much, especially when you can instead put more units on the lot.
ADUs are kind of a form of this but pretty limited.
An ADU is adding a unit to a lot, not dividing the lot.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » October 10th, 2017, 1:25 pm

This is bleeding into a zoning discussion, but yeah it's hard to ask a mayoral housing platform to focus on the very weeds-y (and ultimately, politically unpopular) details of zoning code reform more than NLP and Ray Dehn already have. I really appreciate NLP's prose in talking about the housing we already have in neighborhoods, how denser is fine, etc. I appreciate Dehn's housing paper discussing the stats and citing all sorts of papers/articles on the feasibility of policies. But realistically, a mayor won't impact the details of what zoning liberalization means when it comes to implementation - that's on CPED and the council. A mayor's willingness to talk about triplexes and small apartment/condos in neighborhood interiors is good enough to set a direction/vision, IMO. But we also need to understand that those details are but one small part of a much broader affordability platform focusing on renters' rights, affordable housing funding, etc - which are far easier to identify with and thus better at mobilizing their base.

To the extent that single family zones still exist (they shouldn't!), I think smaller lot sizes is an appropriate zoning discussion to be had. This impacts shared-wall townhomes by not requiring PUDs (see Houston's reform), and allows small houses on small lots sold off by owners, even if it's a small percent of what's needed.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » October 10th, 2017, 2:15 pm

ADUs are kind of a form of this but pretty limited.
An ADU is adding a unit to a lot, not dividing the lot.
Sorry, I was a bit sloppy there. I meant that ADUs are a form of "tiny house" now allowed in Minneapolis. If we allowed lots to be subdivided it could be sold as an owned unit.

Mostly I see tiny lots as a compromise that allows detached homes while increasing density. It may be that it doesn't really matter.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 12th, 2017, 7:19 pm

As the election draws down to its final month, anyone want to share their Top 3 ranking, as well as your prediction for how the vote will shake out?

It's pretty incredible that a month from the election, I have no idea who among Hodges, Hoch, and Frey will come out on top. Dehn and Levy-Pounds will rank 4 and 5, respectively. I feel like I have a better chance of correctly predicting the winners of all 13 council races than guessing the winner of the mayoral race.

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » October 12th, 2017, 9:58 pm

I'm going to vote 1. Hoch, 2. Hodges, nobody third. On a national level I would be considered on the left side of the Democratic party, but on the local level I think the Minneapolis DFL is going down the rabbit hole - obsession with identity politics, beholden to the activist fringe, more interested in symbolic victories rather than pragmatic ones. There is such a thing as too far to the left, and at times I feel like Minneapolis politics are headed there.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » October 12th, 2017, 10:08 pm

I'm gonna say Hodges. Assuming the DFL left ranks three choices, I'm guessing Hodges will be in the top three of most of those ballots.

I could see Hodges, Hoch and Frey splitting the "mainstream" vote either evenly or with Frey trailing the other two. Do Frey voters put Hodges or Hoch first? I say the former. It's tough to beat an incumbent.

I don't know if the left wing puts her over the top but if it does, I hope they can make some hay with it.

I'm going to be unhappy if Hoch wins. Not because of his positions but because he's gotten away with communicating no positions at all.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 13th, 2017, 7:30 am

God, I hope it isn't Hoch.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » October 13th, 2017, 7:55 am

I'm going to vote 1. Hoch, 2. Hodges, nobody third. On a national level I would be considered on the left side of the Democratic party
That's strange. If Minneapolis wasn't such a DFL stronghold, I believe Hoch would run as a Log Cabin Republican.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » October 13th, 2017, 8:02 am

Tom Hoch is absolutely a Republican.

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » October 13th, 2017, 8:42 am

I'm going Dehn/Levy Pounds/Hodges... I think either Hodges or Frey will take it.

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » October 13th, 2017, 9:05 am

Hoch's $500 donation to the MN GOP in 2016 completely disqualifies him in my eyes.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » October 13th, 2017, 9:07 am

I'm going NLP/Dehn/Hodges. Frey would be 4th, and Hoch would be last. As long as he doesn't win I'll be okay with the outcome.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 13th, 2017, 9:17 am

As the election draws down to its final month, anyone want to share their Top 3 ranking, as well as your prediction for how the vote will shake out?

It's pretty incredible that a month from the election, I have no idea who among Hodges, Hoch, and Frey will come out on top. Dehn and Levy-Pounds will rank 4 and 5, respectively. I feel like I have a better chance of correctly predicting the winners of all 13 council races than guessing the winner of the mayoral race.
I voted early: Hodges, Levy-Pounds, Dehn.

As for predictions, I'd still have Hodges a slight favorite as the incumbent, Frey with nearly equal odds. Hoch I have no idea because he's terrible but nobody really knows him so they don't know. Maybe I'm underestimating him, but I don't think he has meaningfully better odds than Dehn.

Honestly, the only two I think really are fit for the job are Hodges and Frey, and I don't trust Frey and especially his willingness to make nice with Goodman and Barb Johnson.
Last edited by amiller92 on October 13th, 2017, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 13th, 2017, 9:18 am

I'm going to vote 1. Hoch, 2. Hodges, nobody third. On a national level I would be considered on the left side of the Democratic party, but on the local level I think the Minneapolis DFL is going down the rabbit hole - obsession with identity politics, beholden to the activist fringe, more interested in symbolic victories rather than pragmatic ones. There is such a thing as too far to the left, and at times I feel like Minneapolis politics are headed there.
Hoch donated to Rich Stanek in each of the last three years.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 13th, 2017, 9:19 am

I'm going to be unhappy if Hoch wins. Not because of his positions but because he's gotten away with communicating no positions at all.
He's going to listen to what people want, David.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » October 13th, 2017, 9:30 am

Frey/Hodges/NLP. Frey because I like downtown development and he reminds me most of the glorious RT days. Hodges because I like the same-old, and NLP to make me feel better about myself.

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » October 13th, 2017, 9:49 am

I'm going Hodges/NLP/Dehn. I think Hodges or Dehn will win. Frey and Hoch seem to turn off too many people and won't have enough #2 or #3 support to carry them to victory. Betsy certainly has her haters, but I think her support is deeper than many think (especially among regular voters).

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 13th, 2017, 9:51 am

It's taken me a while to come around to it (because I was initially skeptical about his ambition), but I'm going to be voting Frey in the number one slot. From everything I've seen, he's the only candidate that has demonstrated that he both understands the issues at play and also has the skills to actually operate effectively in a weak mayor system.

I'm probably going to slot in Hodges and Hoch in the two and three slots, but not with much enthusiasm. I was a strong Hodges supporter last go around, but she's been underwhelming at every turn.

Although I like Dehn an awful lot as a person, he's much too beholden to the Our Revolution peeps. NLP has not demonstrated any interest in actually governing.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 13th, 2017, 10:25 am

1. Hodges
2. Dehn
3. NLP

Look a lot of you may know that I was pretty strong Frey to start, but he has screwed up... a lot. Starting with crime, I got eeked out by some of the language that was written in the plan for downtown. Then he tries to attack Hodges on the budget issues while all other candidates (besides Hoch) are staying quiet. He's just consistently been going after Hodges on issues that really aren't worth it. He's told developers to do certain things, like keeping height down, just because he's scared it may hurt his election chances. The coming out for Jacob profile picture that quickly came down. Skipping the plastic bag ban vote while his wife is actively lobbying against banning them.

Hodges has been decent, and the city council has a good chance of flipping key seats to make the city even better. PLEASE VOTE FLETCHER IF YOU'RE IN THE 3RD WARD. Dehn is popular with the student population and makes me feel special. I feel like he has enough experience understanding that we need to keep moving forward with sustainability issues, and one of those issues is housing. Nekima has an awesome housing plan, but honestly the charter schools, defending the golf course and occasional accusatory actions has her at 3rd.