Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
twinkess
Target Field

Re: Public Transit News and Current Happenings

Postby twinkess » October 31st, 2017, 11:45 am

Does anyone have experience with similar LRT or streetcar systems in other cities? Is this amount of shutdown time common or an anomaly
Anomaly - EVERYTHING being done is for the Super Bowl. The NFL will not allow the trains to use U.S. Bank Stadium Station due to security concerns so downtown had to be reconfigured to allow for trains to switch over near Government Plaza...hence all the downtown shutdowns.
Where did you read this?

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » October 31st, 2017, 11:54 am

I tried to find the information online and couldn't find any mention of the station closure. Even on the MN Super Bowl site.

Scottie
City Center

Postby Scottie » October 31st, 2017, 12:43 pm

As far as I can tell they didn't add any additional ability to crossover near Government Center, they just replaced all of the existing switches/crossover points. I also haven't heard anything about trains not servicing US Bank Station.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » October 31st, 2017, 12:51 pm

They did add an additional crossover on the block between Park and Portland. The LRT was closed last weekend so they could install the wires according to MT's Facebook this weekend.

Scottie
City Center

Postby Scottie » October 31st, 2017, 12:56 pm

^My bad. For some reason I though that one was already there and was just replaced.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » October 31st, 2017, 1:26 pm

^My bad. For some reason I though that one was already there and was just replaced.
You are correct, they did the wiring for the two new cross overs that were installed for this summer.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » October 31st, 2017, 1:27 pm

Also during the day of the Superbowl, both trains will only be for riders who buy LRT tickets through the NFL supposedly. And there will be bus bridges for both lines. This is all done due to the security zone, and how close the train runs next to stadium.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » October 31st, 2017, 2:07 pm

No mention of the Super Bowl here, just of improvements which obviously help transport people during the Superbowl. (If you used the crossover on the next block could two trains theoretically be side by side at the station loading at the same time and take turns leaving?)

"The overhead power lines and signals being installed this weekend will allow the trains to use the new crossover sections. For safety reasons, the wiring and signals work couldn’t occur during this summer’s shutdown.

The crossovers and signals will improve reliability by allowing trains to switch between tracks when there is increased train traffic or if a section of track is unexpectedly blocked. The new rail has also created a smoother ride, and will be more durable over time."

They also mention that they'll be less closure in 2018:

"Some additional weekend closures are planned for 2018, but no extended light rail shutdowns are expected for at least several years"

https://www.metrotransit.org/light-rail ... inneapolis

gopherfan
Nicollet Mall

Postby gopherfan » October 31st, 2017, 2:36 pm

No mention of the Super Bowl here, just of improvements which obviously help transport people during the Superbowl.
Obviously, neither the Met Council nor the City of Minneapolis want to come out and say all the construction headaches and $ are to appease the NFL :twisted: ...

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » October 31st, 2017, 2:49 pm

I noticed they put some new pavement on some of the streets around that stadium. I bike, but don't recall any bumps commuting home that way.

gopherfan
Nicollet Mall

Postby gopherfan » October 31st, 2017, 4:44 pm

I noticed they put some new pavement on some of the streets around that stadium. I bike, but don't recall any bumps commuting home that way.
Park & Portland through the commons received new red overlays this fall (needed)

4th looks to have received mill & overlay this month just adjacent to the stadium (not needed) hopefully the stadium property was assessed the cost and it got passed on to the NFL... doubtful.

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » November 1st, 2017, 6:49 am

Something has been up with the trains this week. Monday they were having issues a delayed through downtown. This morning there was some sort of mechanical issue both directions on the blue line between Lake street and the Airport somewhere and all the trains were delayed by 20 mins or more.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 1st, 2017, 8:11 am

Something has been up with the trains this week. Monday they were having issues a delayed through downtown.
Don't think it's any sort of conspiracy...
https://twitter.com/MetroTransitMN/stat ... 8405841921
This morning there was some sort of mechanical issue both directions on the blue line between Lake street and the Airport somewhere and all the trains were delayed by 20 mins or more.
https://twitter.com/metrotransitmn/stat ... 5011027968

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » November 3rd, 2017, 11:51 am

Don't think it's any sort of conspiracy...
Never said it was...? I was just stating that the trains had been having issues each day that I rode them to work this week. More than normal.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 3rd, 2017, 12:10 pm

Yeah, it seems like there's been a lot of vehicles on tracks this week. In addition to the multiple scheduled closures.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 4th, 2017, 8:01 am

It’s the damn Conservatives and their anti-“Choo-choo” agenda!!

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » November 12th, 2017, 10:44 pm

The transit union may strike during the Super Bowl.

http://kstp.com/news/metro-transit-work ... s/4666652/

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » November 13th, 2017, 9:04 pm

More info about transportation during the Super Bowl is up at the Super Bowl website and Metro Transit.

Of note: Service on gameday, Feb. 4
If you have a Super Bowl ticket, buy a special $30 Gameday Pass. Regular light-rail service WILL NOT operate on gameday; only those holding a Super Bowl ticket along with a Gameday Pass will be allowed to board light rail at either Mall of America (Blue Line) or Stadium Village (Green Line) stations on Feb. 4. You will buy a ticket for a specific timeslot and must board at the correct light-rail station during the time on the ticket you are purchasing.

https://www.metrotransit.org/superbowl/
https://www.mnsuperbowl.com/mnsuperbowl ... sportation

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » November 14th, 2017, 12:06 pm

Does this confirm that the LRT will be closed to everyone else? Or will other stations be open? (I don't see how you could run these express trains at the same time.)

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 14th, 2017, 12:11 pm

Does this confirm that the LRT will be closed to everyone else? Or will other stations be open? (I don't see how you could run these express trains at the same time.)
My guess is that they'll supplement bus service for 'regular' riders along both lines, allowing Game Day pass holders to get the VIP Express Train Service they definitely deserve. (sarcasm meter overload)