Nicollet Mall

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby grant1simons2 » December 6th, 2017, 9:47 am

As far as the big retail space in Ren Square by the station, the "For Lease" posters came down a few weeks ago, and it's no longer listed on MidAmerica's website. So either something's happening there, or the building owner has given up and is content to let it sit empty forever.
Cushman Wakefield has it now

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 6th, 2017, 10:03 am

Ah, that makes sense. My biggest concern for the Dayton's project is that they went to Mid-America for the retail leasing, with their proven record of being totally unable to find tenants for ground-level Nicollet Mall spaces.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » December 6th, 2017, 11:09 am

I interviewed Jesseka at Mid-America and was happy with the direction she's taking for the Dayton's project. They are focusing on mixing local, national and new-to-the-market brands, and ensuring retailers include some type of experience beyond just the same version of a store you'd find in the 'burbs. An example she gave were Nike stores that include a basketball court to test out the shoes. It will be interesting to see which local chefs join the food hall component. I asked about specific retailers most/all of us would like to see, but of course they can't share that yet. However, they're going after brands that have been on common downtown wish lists, so hopefully this economic cycle continues long enough for a good initial lease-up. I can post or PM you the link to my story that mentions this project later, part of a story on urban vertical retail centers across the country.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » December 6th, 2017, 12:55 pm

I interviewed Jesseka at Mid-America and was happy with the direction she's taking for the Dayton's project. They are focusing on mixing local, national and new-to-the-market brands, and ensuring retailers include some type of experience beyond just the same version of a store you'd find in the 'burbs. An example she gave were Nike stores that include a basketball court to test out the shoes. It will be interesting to see which local chefs join the food hall component. I asked about specific retailers most/all of us would like to see, but of course they can't share that yet. However, they're going after brands that have been on common downtown wish lists, so hopefully this economic cycle continues long enough for a good initial lease-up. I can post or PM you the link to my story that mentions this project later, part of a story on urban vertical retail centers across the country.
Could you pleast post?

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » December 6th, 2017, 1:04 pm

I'll do that, Bakken -- publishing at the tail end of this month.

Ohiosotan
City Center

Postby Ohiosotan » December 12th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Not only are the unheated bus stations nice to look at, the signal prioritization for buses is a nice touch too.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 16th, 2017, 11:36 am

The bus shelters have heaters in them.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » December 18th, 2017, 2:30 pm

Here's a thought on our monochromatic Mall reconstruction.

From everyone's comments here, it seems that that biggest problem is the vast expanse of grey cement.

Is there a type of paint that would hold up long term on pavement? If so, what if we turned the existing stencils into color stencils? A good designer could select the correct color shade for each area (a nice yellow, red, and green for leaves, for example), and the stencils could be used for application. Cost: paint + a lot of labor. Perhaps something could be set up so an entire stencil's color pattern could be applied with one Pfppt! rather than spraying piece by piece.

I've not the slightest idea whether this is practical or not, but it seemed a fun idea.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » December 18th, 2017, 3:10 pm

After some quick Googling I found that we have the products out there for this. Perhaps not the colors we would like. But, then Valspar offers some of these products and I'm sure if the City made some calls and offered small plaque describing how the stencils were colored they would find something that would work great for the project. It might be a lot of work to paint all the stencils however.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » December 18th, 2017, 3:25 pm

Thanks for checking this, Surly drinker or maker (I presume),

It did occur to me that coloring each leaf, branch and slash individually would be tortuous. That's why I wondered if colors could be loaded in compartments over each stencil so one Pfppt! would take care of the whole thing. Maybe someone at Graco would know if this sort of application is possible. There are some smart folks over there.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » December 19th, 2017, 3:29 pm

Well, I talked to a friend at Graco and the idea of a single Pfppt! doesn't fly. No big surprise. New stencils would have to be created for each separate color on each existing stencil type. (Hmm, I wonder how many different versions there are of each basic type, meaning leaves, branches and slashes? Is it just a matter of size, or do the patterns change, too?)

Advantages: Each stencil could be made of a sturdy, light material that would be easy to move to the next section to be colored. Pretty simple labor, though lots of it.

Disadvantages: Making all those new stencils. All that labor, which I presume would have to be union. (No corralling Minneapolis high school students for an interesting summer job?) Keeping the whole project (sandblasting already done + coloring) much cheaper than laying pavers in the first place would have been.

Biggest disadvantage: Transforming rambling complaints about how monochromatic the Mall has become into an actual plan for improvement. Still, it's sort of fun to think about.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » December 19th, 2017, 3:49 pm

Well, I talked to a friend at Graco and the idea of a single Pfppt! doesn't fly. No big surprise. New stencils would have to be created for each separate color on each existing stencil type. (Hmm, I wonder how many different versions there are of each basic type, meaning leaves, branches and slashes? Is it just a matter of size, or do the patterns change, too?)

Advantages: Each stencil could be made of a sturdy, light material that would be easy to move to the next section to be colored. Pretty simple labor, though lots of it.

Disadvantages: Making all those new stencils. All that labor, which I presume would have to be union. (No corralling Minneapolis high school students for an interesting summer job?) Keeping the whole project (sandblasting already done + coloring) much cheaper than laying pavers in the first place would have been.

Biggest disadvantage: Transforming rambling complaints about how monochromatic the Mall has become into an actual plan for improvement. Still, it's sort of fun to think about.
Couldn't we just bring back the stencils that were used to create the etchings and then apply the paint/coating using them? You'll have to line them up carefully, but it's a thought.

PS My nickname on here refers to a local bicycle brand which is separate, but similar to the beer brand.

Homewood2009
Metrodome

Re: Nicollet Mall

Postby Homewood2009 » December 19th, 2017, 8:59 pm

Some pics I took about three weeks ago.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » December 20th, 2017, 9:11 am

I think my issues with Nicollet Mall right now is less that the concrete is grey, and more that EVERYTHING is grey. The benches, the trashcans, the sculptures/artwork, the bus shelters, the rocks at the base of the trees. They decorated a monotone room with monotone accessories (except for a few colorful chairs). I'll wait until summer to see how it looks when everything is installed, the trees are green and restaurants have their patios setup, but right now it fails the winter test.

relux
Metrodome

Postby relux » December 20th, 2017, 10:56 am

I think my issues with Nicollet Mall right now is less that the concrete is grey, and more that EVERYTHING is grey. The benches, the trashcans, the sculptures/artwork, the bus shelters, the rocks at the base of the trees. They decorated a monotone room with monotone accessories (except for a few colorful chairs). I'll wait until summer to see how it looks when everything is installed, the trees are green and restaurants have their patios setup, but right now it fails the winter test.
I agree with this. The grey is overwhelming. To me, it almost looks unfinished because of the amount of grey. The grey light poles were what put me over the edge..

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » December 20th, 2017, 11:19 am

I'm really surprised they didn't put up any Christmas lights on the trees or etc.

uptown067
Metrodome

Postby uptown067 » December 20th, 2017, 6:12 pm

Its very underwhelming and a downgrade from what we previously had (imho).

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 20th, 2017, 6:56 pm

You guys are such a hoot

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » December 21st, 2017, 8:23 am

I'm really surprised they didn't put up any Christmas lights on the trees or etc.
I was there last weekend and thought the same. I get that they're still doing some work, but it's not that hard throw some lights up or something to brighten it up a little bit for the holidays.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » December 21st, 2017, 10:42 am

Yeah, there's a lot of gray, but I think the real problem is that the "grand opening" of the new Nicollet took place during an incredibly dull, gray month. Come summer, trees will be green and more people will be out and about.

I think people forget how terrible and desolate the old Nicollet looked in the winter.