Fiber Internet and TV Services, Cord Cutting

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Silophant

Re: Fiber Internet and TV Services, Cord Cutting

Postby Silophant » January 24th, 2018, 5:20 pm

Interesting - looks like they've come up with a solution for the lack of boulevards on Bryant.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 24th, 2018, 6:21 pm

Alright I'm done giving them the benefit of the doubt. Move north you assholes!

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 24th, 2018, 6:23 pm

Like what in the ever loving heck is this, my dudes?

Don't make me line this up with a map of city wide poverty levels.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » January 24th, 2018, 6:28 pm

Not the greatest look:

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 24th, 2018, 6:36 pm

The reason I've seen a few times in the reddit threads is that they're having trouble securing a property in the Powderhorn area to be a hub or data center or whatever you want to call it. Which, on the one hand, I work for Xcel, I'm well aware that siting new utility infrastructure in that area can be... challenging.

On the other hand, I suspect they'd be working harder at it if it was Linden Hills that didn't have service yet.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 24th, 2018, 8:20 pm

USI posted their 2018 plans. https://fiber.usinternet.com/coverage-areas/
I guess you could say this about any neighborhood adjacent to the current service area, but what gives with not finishing off the Standish-Ericsson neighborhood (36th-46th St, west of Hiawatha)??

The decision to head further south, before going north and east, does make sense though, however bad it may look on a map. USI put tons of effort over the last 2+ years into finding a solution with the Park Board to get south of Minnehaha Creek. Once they solved that issue, it’s not like they’re gonna just sit on it. Of course they’re going to hook up those neighborhoods first after expending the time and money getting there.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » January 25th, 2018, 8:08 am

USI posted their 2018 plans. https://fiber.usinternet.com/coverage-areas/
I guess you could say this about any neighborhood adjacent to the current service area, but what gives with not finishing off the Standish-Ericsson neighborhood (36th-46th St, west of Hiawatha)??

The decision to head further south, before going north and east, does make sense though, however bad it may look on a map. USI put tons of effort over the last 2+ years into finding a solution with the Park Board to get south of Minnehaha Creek. Once they solved that issue, it’s not like they’re gonna just sit on it. Of course they’re going to hook up those neighborhoods first after expending the time and money getting there.
Yeah, it's a bummer. I live on 30th Ave and assumed USI would be in my near future when they covered 24th Ave. I think that was a few years ago now. I also recall an article some years back that they hoped to be installed to the river by 2015. Best laid plans I guess. Have to cover the high rent district to fund expansion.

Does anyone have Comcast internet? My CL contract is up this spring and it looks like Comcast has better pricing. I had Comcast a few years ago and remember the speeds were very inconsistent.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » January 25th, 2018, 9:54 am

I had the same thought about how they were skipping the middle of the city. And then they're also stopping 3-4 blocks west of us, too.

cnelson
City Center

Postby cnelson » January 25th, 2018, 11:13 am

from Travis on Reddit - https://www.reddit.com/user/tcarter612
[–]tcarter612 24 points 7 months ago
Sorry everyone, I have been a bit preoccupied the last 4-6 weeks working on getting fiber installed.

Here is the truth; USI has long been in the hunt for a property on the east side of town, we finally have found one and are in the final phases of purchasing it.

Once the property is up and running this one will serve Powderhorn area along with the entire east side of South Minneapolis.

If I had to guess I would expect service in parts of Powderhorn next summer.

Thanks for the support.

-Travis / USI
tcarter612 • 46 points • submitted 21 days ago
Sorry everyone, I am a little under the weather so the final plans for 2018 are going to have to wait a few more days :(

Hopefully mid-next week we can post the 2018 map and start taking orders, I would like to get all the inside work done for peoples homes before spring if possible, this will make things go smoother to get everyone connected next year.

For Hiawatha, good news, we did purchase an open lot last month in the area. This is required to build our new switching station to service the east side of South Minneapolis. Once we get approval from the City to build we will start construction ASAP.

Thanks everyone for the support.

-Travis / USI

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 25th, 2018, 11:16 am

I guess I don't completely understand the logic. South of the creek there are far more 50-60 foot lots, far fewer duplexes, and nearly zero multifamily. North of 42nd St, there are even more multifamily buildings mixed into your average neighborhood. If you want to cover the most dwellings and the most potential accounts per block of lit fiber, it seems like going north makes more sense than going south.

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » January 25th, 2018, 2:32 pm

I guess I don't completely understand the logic. South of the creek there are far more 50-60 foot lots, far fewer duplexes, and nearly zero multifamily. North of 42nd St, there are even more multifamily buildings mixed into your average neighborhood. If you want to cover the most dwellings and the most potential accounts per block of lit fiber, it seems like going north makes more sense than going south.
I'm guessing the customers south of the creek will be buying the top tier of service, likely the most profitable.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 25th, 2018, 2:38 pm

It would be interesting to know what the breakdown of those using the various tiers of the USI service is. We have their lowest tier (50 Mbps), and I've never felt the need for anything higher than that.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 25th, 2018, 4:42 pm

South of the creek also allows them to start fanning out into Edina, St. Louis Park, and Richfield once they've run out of Minneapolis to expand to.

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » January 25th, 2018, 5:11 pm

I try not to tell people from Saint Paul that I'm getting fiber optic internet for $30 a month. USI is on of the truly awesome wonderful things about living in Minneapolis, and it's really frustrating that it's taking so many years to get all the cable laid.

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » February 5th, 2018, 7:27 pm

Just called century link to cancel our tv service (just don;t watch enough to spend $145 mo. Prism tv). Offered us 1 gig for $80 month at a special rate. Taking them up on 100mps for now at $60, but considering it later just to 'lock in that price for life' promotion. I don't think anyone else will be running fiber to my house in STP anytime soon.
How was the Century Link Prism TV? Is it worth it?

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » March 9th, 2018, 8:14 am

FWIW, I tried YouTube TV's free trial so I could catch MNUFC's season opener last week. It is a really good deal, especially if you are a sports fan. All the ESPN offerings and FS1, FS2, FSN and FSN+. The image quality is very good and the interface is nice. At $35.00 plus tax, it beats Sling's price, again if you are coming at it from a live sports angle. There are a couple of channels missing that may be a deal breaker for some. Gonna try Hulu Live this week.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » March 9th, 2018, 8:19 am

ESPN is exactly the reason why I'll never get it. The whole reason I don't have cable is I don't want to pay for the sports channels, without them cable would be far cheaper. YouTube needs to offer an ESPN-free bundle with either a price that reflects that or more channels to make the price still attractive.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 9th, 2018, 11:29 am

The best part about YouTube TV is that it is shared among a family group... So $35 is spread among maybe 5 people. I love having YouTube TV without having to pay for it.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » March 13th, 2018, 12:15 pm

On the Hulu Live free trial this week. The quality is not as good as YouTube. There are many times during a broadcast, FSN's broadcast of MNUFC's game against Orlando last Saturday for example, where the stream jumps back a few seconds and repeats. A few other little streaming glitches here and there too.

mickey
Block E

Postby mickey » March 15th, 2018, 4:00 pm

Not sure if this is relevant to the discussion, but eventually Elon Musk's StarLink will be a way to circumvent Comcast. He claimed 25 ms latency which is 50x improvement over the standard 1300 ms (I think this number comes from Iridium, not sure).