Arby’s Island

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
John
Capella Tower

Re: Arby’s Island

Postby John » January 29th, 2018, 9:40 pm

I'm sure many of us "old timers" (who've been watching development in Uptown for decades) are undoubtedly super excited to see Arby's closing with this site moving forward, hopefully to a much higher density use. The triangular shape is perfect for something a little more ambitious and iconic for Uptown. Lots of potential here.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 29th, 2018, 10:03 pm

When taking a random guess at the status quo vs. a right-of-way vacation and major street re-alignment (of a County Road no less), I'm gonna put my money on status quo.

Sure, the sidewalks around the island will be widened and whatnot, but there's no reason to expect changes beyond the site. Unless, of course, Supervalu's ready to do something big with both blocks.
How would that even work? Take Lake back to two way traffic, or expect everyone to turn at Emerson?

If Minneapolis closed Lagoon after spending $8 million in an attempt to fix mistakenly closing Nicollet, I would be shocked and disappointed.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » January 29th, 2018, 10:44 pm

I only want something like this https://www.google.com/maps/place/City+ ... 18.2528421 so when you look at it from a certain angle it looks like a paper thin building. Probably not as tall (though I wouldn't mind if it were).

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » January 29th, 2018, 11:19 pm

I ate here yesterday. This closure would explain why when I asked for 2 sauce packets they gave me 50.
Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » January 30th, 2018, 12:47 pm

We need an Uptown Space Needle!

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » January 30th, 2018, 1:08 pm

This may be the unpopular opinion, but I would like to see some affordable housing. I know that uptown already has built a crap ton of apartments, but most of those are high-end. Affordable housing would work great in this area, because of it's proximity to cub foods. People would be able to walk from their place of residence to cub foods to get groceries and the necessities. It would also work out great because of the target being close. You could also put some retail on the bottom floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » January 30th, 2018, 1:10 pm

This may be the unpopular opinion, but I would like to see some affordable housing. I know that uptown already has built a crap ton of apartments, but most of those are high-end. Affordable housing would work great in this area, because of it's proximity to cub foods. People would be able to walk from their place of residence to cub foods to get groceries and the necessities. It would also work out great because of the target being close. You could also put some retail on the bottom floor.

When I said that this would be an unpopular opinion, I was referring to the idea of another box like apartment development. Not the idea of affordable housing being unpopular. I personally don't have a problem with the box like apartment developments. Especially because they don't necessarily all look the same, developers can do really cool things with color and stuff.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » January 31st, 2018, 10:27 am

I like the idea Qhaberl. Also, thanks for the clarification lol :-)

LyndaleHoosier
Metrodome

Postby LyndaleHoosier » February 2nd, 2018, 9:42 am

I love how people in multiple forums are trying to protect the Arby's sign. Those things were a dime a dozen and many still exist around the country, so let's not try and pretend this is the Grain Belt sign. ;)

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 2nd, 2018, 9:54 am

I love how people in multiple forums are trying to protect the Arby's sign. Those things were a dime a dozen and many still exist around the country, so let's not try and pretend this is the Grain Belt sign. ;)
St. Paul has one on University (Last I knew) therefore Minneapolis has to have one.

jebr
Nicollet Mall

Postby jebr » February 2nd, 2018, 10:45 am

I think they replaced the sign for the one on University and Fairview. There's still one on Snelling just south of County B in Roseville, though. Right on the A Line. :)

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 2nd, 2018, 3:59 pm

Affordable housing would be great, but I'm not holding my breathe. I'd be for it, just don't think it's happening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » February 2nd, 2018, 8:16 pm

St. Paul has one on University (Last I knew) therefore Minneapolis has to have one.
The sign that was recently replaced at the Arby's on University may have been hat-shaped, but it wasn't a full-fledged, flashing, "Arby's Roast Beef Sandwich is Delicious". Sure they used to be everywhere... aside from Uptown, where else have you seen one in recent years?

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » February 2nd, 2018, 8:23 pm

It closed on my birthday. I still go to the Snelling location quite often though :-)

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » February 3rd, 2018, 10:41 am

I've long hoped, perhaps unrealistically, that given the combined ownership of the Arby's/Cub site and the ample public ROW, perhaps there'd be a way to more square off the intersection so WB Lake traffic took a harder right and a harder left onto Lagoon, and therefore increase the size of the Arby's block, improve the pedestrian experience, and improve urban design.

LyndaleHoosier
Metrodome

Postby LyndaleHoosier » February 3rd, 2018, 11:18 am

Sign was being removed this morning, so hopefully you got any pics you wanted before it's removal.

To answer the above question, Kokomo, IN, South Bend, IN and Champaign, IL are places where the big hat with flashing lots existed...at least a couple years ago!

LyndaleHoosier
Metrodome

Postby LyndaleHoosier » February 3rd, 2018, 11:19 am

Also, here is a Flickr stream of big hat Arby's signs...ENJOY!

https://www.flickr.com/groups/340668@N21/pool/

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » February 3rd, 2018, 11:54 am

Affordable housing would be great, but I'm not holding my breathe. I'd be for it, just don't think it's happening.

Everybody supports affordable housing, as long as it's not in their back yard...

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » February 3rd, 2018, 5:18 pm

Everybody supports affordable housing, as long as it's not in their back yard...
i support the affordable housing project a couple blocks from my house in Frogtown...

versitalex
City Center

Postby versitalex » February 5th, 2018, 11:25 am

Based on this post it sounds like the Arby's sign is gone now.