U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Re: U.S. Bank Stadium

Postby BBMplsMN » January 30th, 2018, 8:20 pm

You can take a tour (my guide was very knowledgeable) or go to one of the in-line skating/running nights. Those all cost money but they’ll get you inside. You’re not allowed to wander on your own however. You could also go to one of the cheaper events like a home/remodeling show. You can wander a little bit, and you’ll get on the field.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 31st, 2018, 10:41 am

This building has some issues. I was running there last night and noticed cracks in the concrete blocks in the bathroom which were repaired. (Mostly likely not a terribly big deal?) But, then as I grabbed my items by the stands I noticed water seeping up out of the concrete through the caulking on the upper concourse. I told a security supervisor nearby and he scratched his head and said they'll keep an eye on it.

Can one walk around the inside of the stadium? Not right now because of the BiG Game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can run and rollerblade on select days.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » February 1st, 2018, 11:17 pm

A few articles on U.S. Bank Stadium and HKS due to the Super Bowl:

Sports Illustrated
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/29/super ... -minnesota

Popular Science
https://www.popsci.com/minnesota-super- ... chitecture

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » February 2nd, 2018, 8:56 pm

That Pop Sci article is pretty sloppy: "Super Bowl LI" and "glass roof" (even though they do talk about the ETFE later).

msisrael
Block E

Postby msisrael » February 4th, 2018, 11:55 pm

Here is a new video which was put out for the Super Bowl, it's called "Flour Mills to Super Bowl LII: An Aerial History of Minneapolis". Has lots of cool aerial shots (taken by drone) of US Bank Stadium.

https://www.airvuz.com/video/Flour-Mill ... 24b05b1c9b

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » February 5th, 2018, 7:48 pm

For weeks the national media raves about friendly Minnesotans who embrace winter and shower visitors with hospitality. Then thousands of wealthy folks and celebrities invade our city, during one of the year’s most frigid weeks, and spend mad amounts of money at local business. And yesterday 100 million viewers saw a steady stream of gorgeous Minneapolis skyline footage. All of this is priceless PR. The world sees a winter wonderland.

None of which would’ve happened without the stadium (which by the way is almost always described with superlatives). It’s quite an asset.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 5th, 2018, 9:01 pm

And next up... USBS will host the ESPN X Games on July 19–22, 2018, the 2019 NCAA Final Four, and the 2020 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships (?). Clearly the NCAA FF is the biggest of the upcoming national sporting events.

Concerts don't get national coverage, but Kenny Chesney, Taylor Swift (2 nights), and Ed Sheeran all have concerts planned for 2018.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » February 5th, 2018, 9:35 pm

It was most likely a huge waste of money for local governments. Leadership is too scared to divulge the real costs.

The good news as Daren Rovell reported, the NFL will never have the Super Bowl in Minnesota again, too many sparsely attended events Friday and Saturday.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 5th, 2018, 9:54 pm

Daren Rovelle is a hack. Terrible "journalist"

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 5th, 2018, 10:27 pm

I'm sure they said that in 1992 as well. We'll get another one with the next new stadium we build.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » February 6th, 2018, 3:16 am

He’s bad. But no more hackey than Rochelle Olson.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » February 6th, 2018, 8:35 am

30 seconds of airtime during the Super Bowl goes for $5 million. Our city easily got tens of millions worth of fantastic publicity. Virtually every moment was absolutely positive. The city, the people, the landscape, the food, the recreation, even the frigid weather - all portrayed in the very best light. Because the NFL and the media desperately want the Super Bowl to be a feel good event from start to finish. It’s a PR bonanza. Only possible with the stadium.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 6th, 2018, 8:45 am

Only possible with the stadium.
True. So let's tear this one down and build a new one so we can get another Super Bowl in 5 years.

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » February 6th, 2018, 8:51 am

Only possible with the stadium.
True. So let's tear this one down and build a new one so we can get another Super Bowl in 5 years.
You are a genius, young man.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » February 6th, 2018, 10:35 am

All kidding aside. Based on who is due to host and who has hosted in the past, a good guess is that USBS will get a Super Bowl about once every 14 years. Final Fours probably every 9 or 10 years.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » February 6th, 2018, 11:12 am

All kidding aside. Based on who is due to host and who has hosted in the past, a good guess is that USBS will get a Super Bowl about once every 14 years. Final Fours probably every 9 or 10 years.
Unless Ford Field gets the next available, it will be at least 17 years apart for a second Superbowl in a northern stadium. Every 14 is very optimistic. People spending a wad to travel to cold climate is not a common desire. Miami, New Orleans, and LA will continue to be the cities of choice.

I get that its nice to host the game once and while, but it is extremely wasteful and is not scrutinized like other forms of public spending.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 6th, 2018, 11:12 am

Um. No. I don't think we'll get another Super Bowl ever, because given the option you pick a place with better weather in February.

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » February 6th, 2018, 11:19 am

Agreed - I viewed this as sort of a one-time "favor" by the NFL to us for building the stadium.

Ford Field in Detroit (opened in 2002) hosted a Super Bowl in 2006 and there isn't any talk of them being awarded another one.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » February 6th, 2018, 11:35 am

Plus, I have a feeling the NFL does not want to put such an enormous amount of effort into logistics and security again. They’d probably much rather stick to suburban locations here on out.

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » February 6th, 2018, 11:36 am

There are (will be) 9 southern stadiums in the main rotation: Miami, Tampa, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, Vegas and LA. Only Tampa has no roof, since Miami has roofing over the seats now. There are rumblings out of North Carolina for a new domed stadium (Final Four ready) which would put them in the main rotation, and I'm sure any new stadium in DC would get it's chance. You could possibly add in a random New York (big enough to get over the no roof issue twice?) and San Francisco.

Of course the only two domed northern stadiums are Detroit and us (seems weird, right?) So even with doubling up a few southern cities, in theory they should bring the game north once a decade? If Detroit gets another chance in the next 6-8 years, we probably will in 16-20 years.
Urbanist in the north woods